Super User

Leicester Tigers women's team?

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers women's team?

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... %20Manager

Interesting Job vacancy
Interesting, always thought that if it happened it would be a re-brand of Loughborough Lightning but it seems we might be starting from scratch, also surprised this was put up before an official announcement.

I just hope we might get to see Emily Scarratt in a Tigers kit before she retires!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Why the club dont actually announce their intentions/plans on this topic is another odd decision.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 pm Why the club dont actually announce their intentions/plans on this topic is another odd decision.
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they'll announce it once they have the correct applicant in place. On the flip side, they announce the formation of a women's team with no manager in place and it's called a farce then.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Pretty sure Andrea announced that we would create a women’s side when she became ceo. I also seem to remember she said they would start from scratch and not just takeover Loughborough Lightning.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Which ever way we go about things ,the formation of a side is perhaps a little overdue....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

dunc wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:27 am Pretty sure Andrea announced that we would create a women’s side when she became ceo. I also seem to remember she said they would start from scratch and not just takeover Loughborough Lightning.
Correct. Remember hearing it in an interview on Radio Leicester. Recent times have, of course, delayed expansion but good to see the plans are still in place
Last edited by loretta on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Quite right. I hope they get some great sponsorship - I’m assuming sponsors would be different to the men’s teams. They’ll surely get use of the excellent facilities at Oval Park too?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RichieB wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am Quite right. I hope they get some great sponsorship - I’m assuming sponsors would be different to the men’s teams. They’ll surely get use of the excellent facilities at Oval Park too?
Not necessarily. Both the Mens’ and Womens’ Quins teams have the same shirt sponsorships. Billy Millard’s role also covers both teams, which makes me wonder if Leigh Jones will do the same here.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This is long overdue by the way, but regardless I’ll be happy if it comes to fruition.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigresses?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Good that we are trying to further develop women's rugby but it is a long road and an expensive one. There is I am sure funding from various sources to help pay the wages of coaches etc and I am certain our link with Brooksby Melton College can be used to develop a Women's Academy. I foresee problems using Oval Park, we already share the facilities there so time is a factor as are toilet facilities for a number of ladies training and playing together.
I am not aware of a lot of local ladies teams or schools playing the game so I question whether there is a pool of players nearby to select an elite squad from and to do so may destroy whatever smaller teams there are. Starting with young girls and growing an Academy from say under twelve or even younger may mean a long time before we have a Tigers Ladies competing at the top level but is probably the way to go.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:23 am Good that we are trying to further develop women's rugby but it is a long road and an expensive one. There is I am sure funding from various sources to help pay the wages of coaches etc and I am certain our link with Brooksby Melton College can be used to develop a Women's Academy. I foresee problems using Oval Park, we already share the facilities there so time is a factor as are toilet facilities for a number of ladies training and playing together.
I am not aware of a lot of local ladies teams or schools playing the game so I question whether there is a pool of players nearby to select an elite squad from and to do so may destroy whatever smaller teams there are. Starting with young girls and growing an Academy from say under twelve or even younger may mean a long time before we have a Tigers Ladies competing at the top level but is probably the way to go.
As far as I'm aware, Lichfield, Lutterworth and Hinckley rugby clubs have youth women's teams in the county.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:11 am
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:23 am Good that we are trying to further develop women's rugby but it is a long road and an expensive one. There is I am sure funding from various sources to help pay the wages of coaches etc and I am certain our link with Brooksby Melton College can be used to develop a Women's Academy. I foresee problems using Oval Park, we already share the facilities there so time is a factor as are toilet facilities for a number of ladies training and playing together.
As far as I'm aware, Lichfield, Lutterworth and Hinckley rugby clubs have youth women's teams in the county.
Market Harborough also.

Hope team gets to play alternative weeks to Men, so we can go to WR every week.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 pm Why the club dont actually announce their intentions/plans on this topic is another odd decision.
I think they are organically trying to build the programme which means - at the moment - it's a fluid plan. Looking at the job spec - which I think backs that last statement up - it could easily end up being a feeder into a full female academy pathway, which could very well end up with a University tie-in in and around the Womens 1st XV. This could well end up being Loughborough, as although they have their excellent reputation in the wider sports arena, as a brand they can only go so far as all the major club "brands" fill the Premier 15s.

Reading between the lines, the club want to be able to put a team into that competition at some point, but rather than "buying in" immediately, and just recruiting current female players, want to get there with a mix of those and home grown talent.