AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Post by Scott1 »

I'm almost certain Dolly will be involved with Tonga but imagine if he gets involved in the other 2 games! I'm made up for him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm LCD went off injured at the weekend, he may not be fit to play at least for the first test
If LCD is ruled out I'd put good money on George being recalled and coming into the starting XV.

Dolly has been terrific but has also struggled at times in the scrum even with Tigers almost always having stronger scrummaging props than the opposition.

If LCD is ruled out against the Boks for instance I just don't see us going in with Blamire and Dolly against Mbonambi or Marx at hooker and Malherbe at TH.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

It would be good to know if Clare is back to fitness to ease concerns at hooker. But (sensibly in my view) SB seems to play his cards close to his chest regarding player availability, at least as far as the media are concerned.
He seems pretty meticulous to me, so I assume there will be an appropriate contingency plan.
I am not sure whether the likes of Argentina or SA will expect squad players to attend some kind of mini-camp before the internationals - Is it realistic to assume we'll have their players for much of the period leading up to their internationals?
Really quite surprised re Fiji squad not including our Fijian players as has been reported, but their loss is our gain...!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm It would be good to know if Clare is back to fitness to ease concerns at hooker. But (sensibly in my view) SB seems to play his cards close to his chest regarding player availability, at least as far as the media are concerned.
He seems pretty meticulous to me, so I assume there will be an appropriate contingency plan.
I am not sure whether the likes of Argentina or SA will expect squad players to attend some kind of mini-camp before the internationals - Is it realistic to assume we'll have their players for much of the period leading up to their internationals?
Really quite surprised re Fiji squad not including our Fijian players as has been reported, but their loss is our gain...!
This is one where I would be mightily impressed if we had a contingency plan. Mystic Meg herself could not have seen that Dolly call up. My guess is that he was our contingency plan and proved to be a bit too good.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:47 pm Or Cowan-Dickie some game time.

My PRC team
1. Van Wyk, 2. Cowan-Dickie/Clare, 3. Heyes
4. Henderson, 5. Chessum
6. Ilione (if fit), 7. Reffell (c), 8. Brink (if fit)
9. Wig, 10. Burns
12. Socino, 13. Porter
11. Browning, 14. Van Wyk, 15. Murimurivalu

16. Vanes, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Hurd (if fit)
19. Manz, 20. Evans
21. Law, 22. Lancaster, 23. Cusick
I like it, but personally if Clare isn't fit I'd start Vanes and have TCD off the bench, as he isn't the long term future for the club I'd rather focus on the gametime for Vanes over Cowan-Dickie
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean for me it’s more quality of quantity in terms of game time for Vanes.

Cowan-Dickie is more likely to play in a prem game this season so far.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

South African squad announced

https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/sou ... /31664.htm

Jasper and Marco selected.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:55 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm LCD went off injured at the weekend, he may not be fit to play at least for the first test
If LCD is ruled out I'd put good money on George being recalled and coming into the starting XV.

Dolly has been terrific but has also struggled at times in the scrum even with Tigers almost always having stronger scrummaging props than the opposition.

If LCD is ruled out against the Boks for instance I just don't see us going in with Blamire and Dolly against Mbonambi or Marx at hooker and Malherbe at TH.
Cowan-Dickie ruled out, George called up.

Watson also ruled out but replacement yet to be named. I'd guess Nowell will be his replacement. If Jones doesn't think Nowell's ready yet after injury then Potter might be an outside bet for the training squad with his form. Hassell-Collins and Sleightholme perhaps other options.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:38 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Cowan-Dickie ruled out, George called up.

Watson also ruled out but replacement yet to be named. I'd guess Nowell will be his replacement. If Jones doesn't think Nowell's ready yet after injury then Potter might be an outside bet for the training squad with his form. Hassell-Collins and Sleightholme perhaps other options.
Marchant has been called up for Watson
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm In short then.. the absentees for the AI (Genge, Dolly, Martin, Youngs, Steward, Wiese, Van Staden, Montoya, Moroni) will only have an effect on one Premiership game which is the home match against Bath on 06 Nov. Saumaki will miss the Saints game also. That is unless they are rested post the tournament and subsequently miss the Quins match on 05 Dec. That is good news as I'm not as bothered about the cup matches. Rest week is well placed for us then
Saumaki should be available for Saints as it’s outside the international window.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:28 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm In short then.. the absentees for the AI (Genge, Dolly, Martin, Youngs, Steward, Wiese, Van Staden, Montoya, Moroni) will only have an effect on one Premiership game which is the home match against Bath on 06 Nov. Saumaki will miss the Saints game also. That is unless they are rested post the tournament and subsequently miss the Quins match on 05 Dec. That is good news as I'm not as bothered about the cup matches. Rest week is well placed for us then
Saumaki should be available for Saints as it’s outside the international window.
Tonga play Scotland that day in round 1 of the Autumn Internationals so assume he will be playing for them. Unless there’s a specific window that we have agreed to release players for?
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Official window is the 6th to 21st November. That last weekend in October that some teams are playing is definitely outside the window so Premiership teams usually wont release players.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So I think all squads bar Scotland (their English based players) that could affect us have been announced.

Only 2 that may affect

Matt Scott - given form I'd say 50:50 a call up
Cam Henderson, highly unlikely to be called up IMO, but you never know
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It might hurt us but I hope Scott gets called up,he deserves it and it was gutting for him last time when he got picked and all their games were cancelled
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Almost all the Scotland centre options are fit and playing currently so Townsend's squad will be an interesting indication how the pecking order stands.

The only notable injury absentee is Duncan Taylor but he's sadly been absent so much recently that he's largely out the picture, a shame as he's a cracking player when fit. George Taylor is also injured but with the other centres available would have struggled to make the squad.

Glasgow - Johnson, Grigg, Tuipoloto, McDowall
Edinburgh - Lang, Bennett
Gloucester - Harris
Saints - Hutchinson
Tigers - Scott
Quins - Jones (he's fit but getting limited game time off the bench, Townsend might pick him as a utility back)

Personally I'd have Harris, Johnson and Scott nailed on. Hutchinson for his play making. Then maybe Tuipoloto as an interesting carrying option.

Who knows what Townsend will do though. Many Scotland fans call his selection the Townsend tombola.

A quick note on one for the future. Cammy Hutchison is a bit of a late bloomer starting to get game time with Edinburgh that looks a cracking prospect at centre.