AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Post by mol2 »

Who knows. With Cockers an Jones in the coaching line up there may well be a temptation to go with a smaller hooker.

At this level hookers have to contribute in the scrum and my concern is that Dolly might not be big enough.

Not sure, aside from Cowan-Dickie, who of the crop of English hookers is a powerful scrummager
George seems a dwindling force.

The games against South Africa may have seen the penny drop that the scrum is a key contest. Arguably the selection of Macko over Marler and Genge cost us the world Cup final. Yes the early loss of Sinkler was a compounding issue. Presumably that's why he resisted the temptation to call up Macko when Marler and Genge were taken out by Covid. Shame the opportunity to try the alternatives last year was squandered.

As for the 4 who should be dropped, the replacements suggested are perhaps contentious.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Ranknigs after the weekend (21/11/21) and some (South African betting) World Cup odds :

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... -breaking/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

With Dolly do we have a similar situation to that which happened with Jake Kerr. Good player who got capped in a crisis for Scotland, then he fell out of favour and down the pecking order?

As nobody knows the situation with Tom Youngs, but assuming his involvement going forward is going to as an occasional starter or impact sub, We have:
1. Montoya
2. Clare
3. Dolly
4. A N Other from the youth

Plus Youngs.

It really depends on whether the coaches "fancy" him as a player going forwards. Or perhaps he moves on to get regular first team rugby.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Equally we don't know if Clare is going to hit the heights of last season
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm Who knows. With Cockers an Jones in the coaching line up there may well be a temptation to go with a smaller hooker.
Eddie has tended towards bigger hookers. Blamire is certainly not a small lad. LCD and George almost prop size. I think Eddie intended to give George time to work on his Sarries form and at the time to give Blamire more exposure. When LCD went down back in came George.

I'd expect LCD, George and Blamire to be the three hookers come the 6N if there's no injuries. There's a nice succession planning there and they all play a similar type of game.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Fine though Dolly has been, I would prefer us to get the scrum working and, for that reason, I would go with Clare, who can scrummage as well as any hooker around.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

BBC reporting Manu out for 6 weeks with torn hamstring. The guy has no luck with injuries.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm BBC reporting Manu out for 6 weeks with torn hamstring. The guy has no luck with injuries.
In another thread
Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

I posted 6 weeks and I was, apparently, wrong. Could be a lot longer.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Systonite wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 pm Fine though Dolly has been, I would prefer us to get the scrum working and, for that reason, I would go with Clare, who can scrummage as well as any hooker around.
Dont see any issues with Dolly so far........
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The closure of the Autumn Series comes on Saturday Nov 27 , Barbarians squads to Face Samoa (Men) and South Africa (Women) announced :

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallabies ... a-20211123
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can any of our front row guys tell me how they know the strengths of a hookers scrummaging? You can see if a TH or LH is doing a number on his man just by the pictures you are getting from the game but hooker? Are we just going on word of mouth or their size or are there subtleties we can look out for? Thanks
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:15 pm Can any of our front row guys tell me how they know the strengths of a hookers scrummaging? You can see if a TH or LH is doing a number on his man just by the pictures you are getting from the game but hooker? Are we just going on word of mouth or their size or are there subtleties we can look out for? Thanks
Err............no :smt003
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:48 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:15 pm Can any of our front row guys tell me how they know the strengths of a hookers scrummaging? You can see if a TH or LH is doing a number on his man just by the pictures you are getting from the game but hooker? Are we just going on word of mouth or their size or are there subtleties we can look out for? Thanks
Err............no :smt003
Haha 👍
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Romain Ntamack - Magnifique!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-N4q0e1qM
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:26 pm Romain Ntamack - Magnifique!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-N4q0e1qM
Watching that at the time I was on my feet!