England v Canada - 10th July 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Canada - 10th July 2021

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Radwan is the heir to May but May still has a lot of time left on the international stage
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:34 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:12 pm Johnny May on line 4
After today might be Radwan instead.
Wings have to be able to defend too.
I wonder how many tries Mr May would have scored today if he'd been on the pitch and raring to go. He was dross last season because Glaws were dross and England were too.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:27 pm
Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:02 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Got anymore info on how serious it is?
He’s been carrying it for ages. Don’t know where he is currently with it.
Ryan or Ford?
Think the Ford injury was one they said he did just after the covid restart, dropped out of a game for us injured I recall (possibly wrongly), then missed some of the Autumn nations cup. From interviews it appears he's been managing it all season and with the lack of season break after covid both EJ & SB want him to have a proper break to recover. I think it's something that can be played with but they want it to be rested to properly get him back to 100%
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm so happy for Harry Wells, he's had to get to the top the hard way and it has been thoroughly deserved. As for the game today I thought all our lads played well, not sure what people see in Ewells, he obviously has physical ability but he just gives away so many penalties (Including pulling Harry over in a maul causing Harry to be penalised)

I'm not sure Eddie has learned a massive amount over this series, the only new players I think we are likely to see in the autumn are Steward, Smith, Randall, Dombrandt and maybe Blamire, that said I do think people are probably getting a bit carried away with Randall and Smith, they are both obviously supremely talented but are both far from the finished products and better opposition may have exposed that, I can see Eddie persisting with YBY and Ford a little while longer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought Ford had a calf injury?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:42 pm I thought Ford had a calf injury?
I'm not 100% on which body part it was
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 pm I'm so happy for Harry Wells, he's had to get to the top the hard way and it has been thoroughly deserved. As for the game today I thought all our lads played well, not sure what people see in Ewells, he obviously has physical ability but he just gives away so many penalties (Including pulling Harry over in a maul causing Harry to be penalised)

I'm not sure Eddie has learned a massive amount over this series, the only new players I think we are likely to see in the autumn are Steward, Smith, Randall, Dombrandt and maybe Blamire, that said I do think people are probably getting a bit carried away with Randall and Smith, they are both obviously supremely talented but are both far from the finished products and better opposition may have exposed that, I can see Eddie persisting with YBY and Ford a little while longer
I think you can narrow that down even further to Smith and Randall, with Dombrandt as an outside bet.
As an outsider, with everyone fit and available, this would be England’s strongest 23 for the autumn.
Marler. George. Sinckler
Itoje. Lawes
Curry. Simmonds. Underhill
Randall. Smith
Farrell. Daly
Cokanasiga. Watson. May
Genge. Cowan-Dickie. Stuart
Launchbury. Willis
Mitchell. Ford. Marchant

Of course, Eddie won’t pick some because they have too much flair. Crazy that England have no international 12s beyond Farrell and so little depth at prop.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I agree about Radwan. May has lost a bit of gas over the last 18 months and looked less effective. The Glaws effect?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:04 pm I agree about Radwan. May has lost a bit of gas over the last 18 months and looked less effective. The Glaws effect?
I don't think Glaws are to blame but it is funny that he played his best rugby at Leicester while we were awful, maybe its the Jonny May effect?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 pm I'm so happy for Harry Wells, he's had to get to the top the hard way and it has been thoroughly deserved. As for the game today I thought all our lads played well, not sure what people see in Ewells, he obviously has physical ability but he just gives away so many penalties (Including pulling Harry over in a maul causing Harry to be penalised)

I think you can narrow that down even further to Smith and Randall, with Dombrandt as an outside bet.
As an outsider, with everyone fit and available, this would be England’s strongest 23 for the autumn.
Marler. George. Sinckler
Itoje. Lawes
Curry. Simmonds. Underhill
Randall. Smith
Farrell. Daly
Cokanasiga. Watson. May
Genge. Cowan-Dickie. Stuart
Launchbury. Willis
Mitchell. Ford. Marchant

Of course, Eddie won’t pick some because they have too much flair. Crazy that England have no international 12s beyond Farrell and so little depth at prop.
Steward is there to stay, provided he remains fit of course, in my opinion. I concur that depth at loosehead is a concern, mind, for the time being.

I’m hoping Kelly and Ojomoh can be England’s answers to the 12 jersey in the not too distant future.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm not sure why people are writing Harry Wells off so early. One game, he was vigorous and certainly didn't disgrace himself. Stood tall at the front of the driving mauls. My money is on a second appearance.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I disagree with Simmonds being England’s strongest 8, he’s not extacly done anything for the lions much despite playing in massive wins.

Especially if you have curry and Underhill on the flanks.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:11 pm I'm not sure why people are writing Harry Wells off so early. One game, he was vigorous and certainly didn't disgrace himself. Stood tall at the front of the driving mauls. My money is on a second appearance.
With Itoje, Launchbury and Lawes all set to return in the Autumn I'd guess that he'll be at best looking to be named in the training squad. Ribbans, Isiekwe, Kpoku and J Hill will all be in the mix as well and you'd imagine that Ribbans and Hill may go ahead of him. Harry did a decent job but he needed to put in a world beating display if he wanted another shot at the shirt come the Autumn. Ewels has probably played himself out of contention.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:34 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:12 pm Johnny May on line 4
After today might be Radwan instead.
Wings have to be able to defend too.
Radwan's positioning was excellent, he look comfortable under the high ball and he made his tackles. I was just as impressed by his all round game and how easily he slotted into the backline as I was by his finishing. He's got age on his side as well with May 31 and Radwan 23. Wingers in their thirties can fade, obviously not all and May has kept himself mostly free of injury. I would not be surprised to see Radwan in the training squad come the Autumn and getting another England cap or two to start building up his experience.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Canada were poor, I reckon any English pro side should be well drilled and fit enough to win well against Canada.
Not a lot was learned in my opinion apart from some good timing in Randall's deliveries and in particular for Genge to come around and carry hard.