England v Canada - 10th July 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Canada - 10th July 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

England executed far better that a week earlier.
Great for Harry Wells to claim full international recognition..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:38 am England executed far better that a week earlier.
Did England execute better or were Canada not as good as the USA?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Eddie will probably have learnt more from the training sessions than from these games against weak teams - who can adapt quickly to a different coaching set up, a different style of play, with less familiar team mates and still perform like they do at club level or better. What I think that he will have learnt from the games is who looks comfortable playing for England and, on the negative side, who didn't "get on the bus" and quite likely never will.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:38 am England executed far better that a week earlier.
Funnily enough I was thinking of adding that caveat to my initial statement - but at least the ball went to hand and there was better completion irrespective ......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Both, with the latter contributing to the former. As an example, USA frequently challenged Freddy Steward under the high ball, putting him off on occasion and restricting his ability to attack. Canada hardly ever did, giving him a much easier ride and better opportunities to attack, which he did quite well IMHO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In terms of young locks, I doubt this is the last time we’ll be seeing Chunya Munga in an EPS.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:13 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:01 pm I'll carry on with MAN of the match as its men that are playing. If I upset anyone TOUGH! Really can't stand the bedwetting state of the world in this day and age
Are you getting offended, Scott?
Just don't like bedwetters mate who get offended over pathetic stuff ,they really need to man up and grow a pair!
You really need to grow up yourself and stop using sad language.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:13 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:12 pm

Are you getting offended, Scott?
Just don't like bedwetters mate who get offended over pathetic stuff ,they really need to man up and grow a pair!
You really need to grow up yourself and stop using sad language.
It’s all very ironic isn’t it how all these “anti-woke” people get so wound up by everything…

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that rugby bodies were heavily petitioned to make these terms gender neutral. In fact to me it’s just performative activism, making themselves look all egalitarian and feminist instead of doing something meaningful like actually properly funding the women’s game.

Not that I’m against having something like Star of the Match or MVP, the title “Player of the Match” just is a bit of a dull replacement in my view and also sounds like a very half-hearted effort as well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:55 am
Both, with the latter contributing to the former. As an example, USA frequently challenged Freddy Steward under the high ball, putting him off on occasion and restricting his ability to attack. Canada hardly ever did, giving him a much easier ride and better opportunities to attack, which he did quite well IMHO.
We already knew Steward could catch a high ball.
We already knew Genge could carry hard, most knew a long time ago and Dylan Hartley certainly did.
The opposition were just too weak.
The test was well below even Premiership standards in my opinion.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:19 am

We already knew Genge could carry hard, most knew a long time ago and Dylan Hartley certainly did.
Don't disagree with any of this but they are nothing to do with your original question which framed as a black and white, either/or question. I was pointing out that the world generally isn't that simple. And within my example, I wasn't querying Steward's ability under the high ball. Simply that Canada's lack of challenges allowed him to show his attacking abilities more often and often better than against the USA.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:49 am
BFG wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:19 am
Don't disagree with any of this but they are nothing to do with your original question which framed as a black and white, either/or question. I was pointing out that the world generally isn't that simple. And within my example, I wasn't querying Steward's ability under the high ball. Simply that Canada's lack of challenges allowed him to show his attacking abilities more often and often better than against the USA.
Canada were just too easy to bully for that England side.
For the U20's it might be a test.
A strong side stops it and this is where the test is needed.
I reckon even I could have had half decent moments at 9 yesterday.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hard to gauge anything out of that really,any GP side would’ve beat Canada. But Eddie would’ve still seen what the new guys were like in camp,how they integrated,their attitudes etc. As for Genge,comfortably man of the match,and he’s done that against many a team at domestic,European and International level. Be interesting to see who gets another chance in the autumn ,I believe Eddie will rest a few of the Lions or they will get limited game time so there’s still chances there for players to force their way into the 2022 6N
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem with having Genge in the squad and not playing him results in a loss of form.

He needs to re-name himself Macko and he will be nailed onstarter.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:40 pm The problem with having Genge in the squad and not playing him results in a loss of form.

He needs to re-name himself Macko and he will be nailed onstarter.
Yes,he always comes back to us worse off before he regains his form. For me now he's nailed on first choice with Marler on the bench. Makos gonna have to have a fantastic tour to displace those 2!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Did anyone find out the George Martin mystery? Is he injured? Did Eddie not fancy him? Is he happy with him and wanted to look at others? Have to admit I havnt seen anything on it!