England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:42 pm The USA may have won were it not for some shocking defensive moments.
England were low on playing quality in my opinion.
Oh come on they were nowhere near winning it. They performed well they looked fit and strong and had a very good maul. But we were the architects of our own undoing most of the time and the injuries knocked us for 6,especially with a 6/2 split. We were never in danger of losing that game but we did have a few that could be struggling to get any more caps after this series
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Looked like Freddie had a good game, and I’m glad the Americans made a game out of it, won’t be long before the Eagles will start putting it more big upsets I reckon.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:46 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:31 pm Was Dombrant injured? Was disappointed not to see him play. I think there were a few easy caps given out. Who was the starting number 8 for England? Not international class. Tigers didn’t let anyone down. Smith is a class above Umaga, who I felt sorry for as he is not a centre. But also not in the same league as Smith.
I posted this on the weekend forum. But think it’s more suited to this one.
Dombrandt and Marchant were deemed to need a little more recovery after the Prem final so I'd expect them to come in for next weekend.

Calum Chick played 8, promising young Falcons 8. He was solid but lacked impact. Needed to get involved far more. Same with Ludlow at 6.

Umaga couldn't tackle, it was a theatrical dive and miss every time. He could make an impact ball in hand either. I suspect Atkinson will overtake him at Wasps in the next couple of years. Shame really because at the minute it looks unlikely he'll have much of a career with England but he could have represented Samoa who are in need of a playmaker. Could have been funny if he had and Sapoaga who wants to requalify to represent them had ended up as competing against one another again.
Thanks. Dombrant will bring a different dimension next weekend. I don’t think Umaga will make it as a world class fly half. Smith has advanced more over the years.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:42 pm The USA may have won were it not for some shocking defensive moments.
We also conceded 3 rolling maul tries, very poor, so many clumsy bits of play also. Not a good spectacle from England POV.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Some positives, some negatives.

Thought some of the established players did well, Underhill is a beast and a cut above the other backrowers. Genge and Heyes looked good, although scrum was a refereeing mess.

Randall and Smith were sharp, although much less space at test level than they’re used to. Lawrence and Malins looked great when on, Steward solid at the back and set up two tries.

Both locks were really poor, lacked quality. Same with Ludlow and Chick, didn’t offer much and neither did Ben Curry when he came on. Marked lack of test level players in those areas. Surprised Earl hasn’t been in the squad.

Ted Hill picked up the physicality when he came on, definitely a future England player in the second row.

Umaga and Robson really were awful. Hopefully Eddie sticks to 5/3 split on the bench for next week. Start Wells at 4, he can’t be any worse than the locks today.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I just enjoyed the game. Scratch side did very well and thought Smith was great.
Freddie did well to recover from being tipped up and loved Ashton’s comment:” I’d have got ten weeks for that!” Tougher test ahead but not next week!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:41 pm Some positives, some negatives.

Thought some of the established players did well, Underhill is a beast and a cut above the other backrowers. Genge and Heyes looked good, although scrum was a refereeing mess.

Randall and Smith were sharp, although much less space at test level than they’re used to. Lawrence and Malins looked great when on, Steward solid at the back and set up two tries.

Both locks were really poor, lacked quality. Same with Ludlow and Chick, didn’t offer much and neither did Ben Curry when he came on. Marked lack of test level players in those areas. Surprised Earl hasn’t been in the squad.

Ted Hill picked up the physicality when he came on, definitely a future England player in the second row.

Umaga and Robson really were awful. Hopefully Eddie sticks to 5/3 split on the bench for next week. Start Wells at 4, he can’t be any worse than the locks today.
Agree about the locks,and I don’t rate Hill either. He was poor for The Lions yesterday in a game he should’ve stood out in. I hope Wells gets a start next week and gives Eddie food for thought because there is a gap to fill between Englands best locks and the best of the rest.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The 2 Barh locks makes Johnny Hill look like John Eales...

You can take very little from that game in truth, Randall looks sharp, but can he play with bad ball?
Thought Freddie played well, interesting that he showed a bit more skill playing for England than us.
If union ever really takes off Stateside the Eagles could become Tier 1.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 pm
We also conceded 3 rolling maul tries, very poor, so many clumsy bits of play also. Not a good spectacle from England POV.
Agreed, it was poor all round really.
The USA defender freezing at the kick off that Malins collected and offloaded probably topped the list of shocking moments for me.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Whilst I am not a fan of a 6 2 bench. I can understand it against certain teams and when there are two starters who can play 10. It backfired badly today. I really cannot understand the logic. I thought Freddie moved up another level, but for all those who complain about Ford's defence, is Smith really any better in that department ? It should have been a win by 50 plus. I suspect next week will be more ruthless.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Downsouth wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:22 pm Whilst I am not a fan of a 6 2 bench. I can understand it against certain teams and when there are two starters who can play 10. It backfired badly today. I really cannot understand the logic. I thought Freddie moved up another level, but for all those who complain about Ford's defence, is Smith really any better in that department ? It should have been a win by 50 plus. I suspect next week will be more ruthless.
I'd go further. Is anyone now seriously suggesting that we would perform better at the 2023 World Cup with Randall and Smith at half back rather than Youngs and either Ford of Farrell. There are probably only 20+ international games to go before the first WC pool game.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:13 pm
Downsouth wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:22 pm Whilst I am not a fan of a 6 2 bench. I can understand it against certain teams and when there are two starters who can play 10. It backfired badly today. I really cannot understand the logic. I thought Freddie moved up another level, but for all those who complain about Ford's defence, is Smith really any better in that department ? It should have been a win by 50 plus. I suspect next week will be more ruthless.
I'd go further. Is anyone now seriously suggesting that we would perform better at the 2023 World Cup with Randall and Smith at half back rather than Youngs and either Ford of Farrell. There are probably only 20+ international games to go before the first WC pool game.
This is a bit harsh. Smith and Randall were playing in a scratch team with a makeshift backline - another 9 and 10 playing centre and wing and Smith only joined a week ago after the final.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Great to watch Japan and the US play. As for the schoolboy donkeys in the England and Ireland shirts they were up against, well, it just reminded me how much I miss watching my son play of a weekend.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Interested to see how we line up next week. With Lawrence likely still undergoing return to play protocols there's certainly a chance of seeing Kelly make the bench.

I think Dombrant needs to come in to the team. From a personal perspective I'd love for Wells to get a run at lock too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Randall looks tiny and any world class team will target him and go through him with the big runners, same for Smith who I have to say didn’t Impress at all In defence.

Ford and Youngs currently are still the best half back pairing, I do see JVP being the number 1 England scrum half in the next 2 years, his game has everything.