THIS WEEKENDS RUGBY - 02-04th JULY 2021 - MATCH THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: THIS WEEKENDS RUGBY - 02-04th JULY 2021 - MATCH THREAD

Post by soggytiger »

Apart from the Steward tackle in the air, USA player wafts one arm around in hopeful search of the ball whilst the other is clamped on Stewards collar - classic NFL sack style. But happy if thattackle is now a rugby incident as long as the same rules are applied in the Premiership :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggytiger, don't bother arguing. Nothing you can write or evidence will change Scott1's decision. He is his own TMO. :smt003
(where's the fishing Smilie when you need it?)

BTW I didn't mind the commentary,it was the deifying of Smith beforehand that was vomitworthy IMO, a throne he did not IMO ascend to in the game. I
If you want some horrid misogynist views, check out the posts on the England FB about the female commentator......who is quite famous......one poster compared women's rugby to U16 and said she had no right to commentate, several other similar posts.
Last edited by jgriffin on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:38 pm Soggytiger, don't bother arguing. Nothing you can write or evidence will change Scott1's decision. He is his own TMO. :smt003

BTW I didn't mind the commentary,it was the deifying of Smith beforehand that was vomitworthy IMO, a throne he did not IMO ascend to in the game. If you want some horrid misogynist views, check out the posts on the England FB about the female commentator......who is quite famous......one poster compared women's rugby to U16 and said she had no right to commentate, several other similar posts.
The evidence was clearly there multiple times,he CLEARLY knocked it on to the players shin,great decison by Brace,even Steward knew what he done. We move on,take off the green and white tinted glasses 🤪
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Told ya, soggytiger. :smt003
(frustration at lack of fishing Smilie)_
Vis-a-vis the misogynist rant on England FB: A good answer from Ted Underwood -
"you are entitled to your opinion on her commentating ability but as the father of two daughters who both play rugby one in the premiership I find your mysoginist comments offensive and frankly uneccesary (sic). "
The guy making the anti-female comments has an 'interesting' set of values for an 'ex sports psychologist' and Wasps supporter.

I should seriously hope Tigers fans are a little more enlightened in general?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Personally I don't care if youre male or female but the female on comms or the presenters tbf are just not very good. But then again most of the males aren't either!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:40 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:38 pm Soggytiger, don't bother arguing. Nothing you can write or evidence will change Scott1's decision. He is his own TMO. :smt003

BTW I didn't mind the commentary,it was the deifying of Smith beforehand that was vomitworthy IMO, a throne he did not IMO ascend to in the game. If you want some horrid misogynist views, check out the posts on the England FB about the female commentator......who is quite famous......one poster compared women's rugby to U16 and said she had no right to commentate, several other similar posts.
The evidence was clearly there multiple times,he CLEARLY knocked it on to the players shin,great decison by Brace,even Steward knew what he done. We move on,take off the green and white tinted glasses 🤪
I thought it was shin, hands, foot personally. Not that makes much difference.

Felt like Brace tried to equal the game out with some of his officiating. Particularly at scrum time where the USA were allowed to fold but England were pinged at any opportunity irrespective of how pedantic it was. The tackle on Steward was a stone wall red card in Prem officiating.

The Tigers lads did well but the disruption to the England backline and the poor efforts from the England 4, 5 and 6 really held the team back and the USA were no mugs. The USA 8 Dolan was particularly good.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Felt like Brace tried to equal the game out with some of his officiating. Particularly at scrum time where the USA were allowed to fold but England were pinged at any opportunity irrespective of how pedantic it was. The tackle on Steward was a stone wall red card in Prem officiating.

The Tigers lads did well but the disruption to the England backline and the poor efforts from the England 4, 5 and 6 really held the team back and the USA were no mugs. The USA 8 Dolan was particularly good.
He rewarded dominance in the scrum but I liked the fact he didn't give penalties to England when there wasn't any infringements. A lot of refs just give them willy,nilly when they favour the dominating scrum. Great reffing by him there. Also got the knock on and Steward aerial decision spot on which were the 2 biggest decisions on the game so can't fault him really
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Brace is a much improved ref. I didn't see all the game but thought he was OK.
Randall, JBP, Steward, Smith et al the future looks bright. Competition for the shirt is a good thing :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I must admit I do prefer Ludlam to Ludlow though
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

The female commentator was abysmal, her voice worthy of the mute button. Ashton was stupifyingly awful to boot.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Was Dombrant injured? Was disappointed not to see him play. I think there were a few easy caps given out. Who was the starting number 8 for England? Not international class. Tigers didn’t let anyone down. Smith is a class above Umaga, who I felt sorry for as he is not a centre. But also not in the same league as Smith.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 pm

He rewarded dominance in the scrum but I liked the fact he didn't give penalties to England when there wasn't any infringements. A lot of refs just give them willy,nilly when they favour the dominating scrum. Great reffing by him there. Also got the knock on and Steward aerial decision spot on which were the 2 biggest decisions on the game so can't fault him really
I don't mind them not giving anything if the ball comes out but on the first scrum Heyes folded their loosehead up like a deckchair and got done for not straight. Their loosehead caused the angle by being unable to take the pressure. Brace held England to a different standard.

Steward decision was very wrong. After the ball is gone the player pulls Steward out the air. You can't tackle someone in the air, irrelevant of whether you are in a position to contest. That should merely be considered when determining the sanction. It was reckless and dangerous and thankfully Freddie was ok but that was merely luck.

I also think he got the Lawrence one wrong as well, should have been a penalty to USA for a high tackle as Lawrence never lowers his body height but there was significant mitigation to remove the card.

Felt like Brace was making a lot of things up as he went along. I think the TMO was Ben Whitehouse as well a referee closer to Dickson in ability level.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:51 pm

I don't mind them not giving anything if the ball comes out but on the first scrum Heyes folded their loosehead up like a deckchair and got done for not straight. Their loosehead caused the angle by being unable to take the pressure. Brace held England to a different standard.

Steward decision was very wrong. After the ball is gone the player pulls Steward out the air. You can't tackle someone in the air, irrelevant of whether you are in a position to contest. That should merely be considered when determining the sanction. It was reckless and dangerous and thankfully Freddie was ok but that was merely luck.

I also think he got the Lawrence one wrong as well, should have been a penalty to USA for a high tackle as Lawrence never lowers his body height but there was significant mitigation to remove the card.

Felt like Brace was making a lot of things up as he went along. I think the TMO was Ben Whitehouse as well a referee closer to Dickson in ability level.
Strange how two people can see things very different but I respect your opinion. BTW Brace is getting praised in every report I’ve read on the game RE his performance.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Strange how two people can see things very different but I respect your opinion. BTW Brace is getting praised in every report I’ve read on the game RE his performance.
Well it would be boring if we all agreed all the time. Also you very rarely see the referee slated in any written report. Whilst I thought Brace was below par I've seen many worse displays this season, mainly from Karl Dickson.

I didn't actually mind him giving him England a hard time and leveling up the game a little. It's more beneficial for England to play a friendly against a Tier 2 nation like that then it is to run rampant and score loads of unanswered points.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:55 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Well it would be boring if we all agreed all the time. Also you very rarely see the referee slated in any written report. Whilst I thought Brace was below par I've seen many worse displays this season, mainly from Karl Dickson.

I didn't actually mind him giving him England a hard time and leveling up the game a little. It's more beneficial for England to play a friendly against a Tier 2 nation like that then it is to run rampant and score loads of unanswered points.
I don’t think he was levelling uo the game at all. Strange take but each to their own. I thought he gave the penalties when they were there to be given and as I said he got the 2 big decisions spot on. I actually thought Dickson bar one howler had a decent game yesterday but his bar is very low 😂