LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: There and Back again a Tigers Tale by Steve Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumbieGrumbler

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: There and Back again a Tigers Tale by Steve Borthwick

Post by CrumbieGrumbler » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm

There's a rumour that George Ford is off to Sale next year. It was posted on the Ultras page on Facebook, anyone else heard anything similar?
You have the usual crowd commenting that it's no big loss but personally I think it would be a disaster for us to lose him

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: There and Back again a Tigers Tale by Steve Borthwick

Post by kpj tiger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 pm

CrumbieGrumbler wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm
There's a rumour that George Ford is off to Sale next year. It was posted on the Ultras page on Facebook, anyone else heard anything similar?
You have the usual crowd commenting that it's no big loss but personally I think it would be a disaster for us to lose him
Those rumours have been going around since he was leaving Bath, its just people putting 2+2 together with Sale being from his neck of the woods, I can't see Sale having the cap space to afford him or the need with AJ being one of the best 10's in the league who is available all year as well as Robert Du Preez and Kieran Wilkinson coming through

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:48 pm

When Ford leaves it will be for a big money contract in France

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:48 pm
When For jd leaves it will be for a big money contract in France
Or possibly a shot at Rugby League. There in theory should be a RLWC in 2025 just two years after the next RWC in Union. Ford would be 32 in 2025 so could make it. Not saying it's a definite thing but it might cross his mind.

I agree with KPJ, Sale are unlikely to spend big on a flyhalf in his prime when they have two good options at the same price as they'd have to spend on Ford. Wilkinson and Curtis are both talented young 10s on the fringes of the first team as well.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Sale could afford it with the rumoured names that might be off.
I could see Sale offloading/losing
Akker van der Merwe
Oosthuizen
One of the du Preez twins to the Sharks (SA ones)
Ross
Rob du Preez
RJVR
Solomona

My money is on Taylor being a pre-emptive replacement for Akker (They would still have Ashman, Langdon and Taylor) that would save a good amount
You also have this rumoured Tom Curry to us.

The way we play currently I don't see it as a disaster, it's not great but Borthwick ATM doesn't play too much through 10.
Depends on the replacement really.

Also had heard of this rumour before the FB post. (Not from a direct source though). I could see it being true given his Oldham connection

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:39 pm

But are we going to continue to play in the old way given that we have picked up Freddie Burns not known for his kick tennis game? I'm hoping that with JvP and a gelled backline we might see a little more ball in hand.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:37 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 pm
Sale could afford it with the rumoured names that might be off.
I could see Sale offloading/losing
Akker van der Merwe
Oosthuizen
One of the du Preez twins to the Sharks (SA ones)
Ross
Rob du Preez
RJVR
Solomona

My money is on Taylor being a pre-emptive replacement for Akker (They would still have Ashman, Langdon and Taylor) that would save a good amount
You also have this rumoured Tom Curry to us.

The way we play currently I don't see it as a disaster, it's not great but Borthwick ATM doesn't play too much through 10.
Depends on the replacement really.

Also had heard of this rumour before the FB post. (Not from a direct source though). I could see it being true given his Oldham connection
Your social geography is off. Sale is west of Mancs, Oldham way NE. OK it ain't far round the M60 but there is no emotional tie. They don't even talk the same.🙂
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm

By connection to Oldham I meant the fact his family still lives there and it's a 30 minute tram ride to Oldham to Manchester instead of a 2 hour drive.
Not sure how that relates to social geography though.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Old Hob wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:39 pm
But are we going to continue to play in the old way given that we have picked up Freddie Burns not known for his kick tennis game? I'm hoping that with JvP and a gelled backline we might see a little more ball in hand.

Remains to be seen i guess.
Burns has a underrated kicking game IMO

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:23 pm

I hope Ford stays he's been very good for us during a difficult time.

If he opts to go then Otere Black could be entering the market next year as the Blues have found themselves with a number of playmakers on the books. Black has said he's considering his future options. Mid twenties, bad luck as meant he's never quite managed to get into the ABs team. Wouldn't be cheap but also not ridiculously expensive.

Could try and pry Ross Byrne away from Leinster if he's not getting the look into the big games for them and no love from Ireland now Carberry is fit again. Maybe even try and get Costelow back. We'd have options.

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:18 pm

good interview with Freddie Burns on this weeks The Rugby Pod

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:18 pm
good interview with Freddie Burns on this weeks The Rugby Pod
Link?

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:31 pm
Interesting given our 10 rumour
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/pollard/
When is Ford out of contract, if he is out of the England squad I could see him leaving this summer to go to France for the $