Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Post by kpj tiger »

dunks43 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:54 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:22 pm hopefully someone like Cory Hill will challenge that rule in court, at the very least playing with in the UK shouldn't make you ineligible for your country and lets face it in this day and age there is no reason to stop any player playing for their country no matter where in the world they play.
As there are only 4 real professional sides in wales , if they didnt have the rule then most players would chase the money and move to england or france, then you would be left with an uncompetitive league in wales and the attendances would be even lower than they are now.

Cory Hill knew the rules , he's chosen to move from wales so knows he wont play , why should he then challenge the rule in court
You are left with an uncompetitive league in Wales with the internationals anyway, the fact that players are forced to give up a considerably enhanced income to stay eligible for their national team is just wrong and I do think the players would have a case against the WRU.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't think any of us would like to be told where we can and can't work and for the players rugby is a job these days, it smacks of restrictive practice and is not exactly helping their cause either as players are still leaving aren't they? A lot of Scots play in the premiership and can still play for their nation of choice with no restrictions. The so called "Gatlands law" is a bad stain on Welsh rugby however you try to justify it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:23 am I don't think any of us would like to be told where we can and can't work and for the players rugby is a job these days, it smacks of restrictive practice and is not exactly helping their cause either as players are still leaving aren't they? A lot of Scots play in the premiership and can still play for their nation of choice with no restrictions. The so called "Gatlands law" is a bad stain on Welsh rugby however you try to justify it.
There are good reasons behind it for the national team, in terms of availability for matches, training camps and rest weeks during the 6N. And for regions in terms of greater squad depth.
It’s also less restrictive than the English model.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Welsh Coach Wayne Pivac (attempts to) gives an explanation for Tom Reffell's latest omission from the Welsh squad.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ad-6063322

Whist no one can question a coaches choice to select who he likes ( if we could we would be here forever re. Eddie J) I do find Reffell's continued absence somewhat baffling.
It is very true that Wales are well stocked on the Flanks but to me you pick your best players as good players can adapt. Reffell is one good player and the wider audience are starting to wake up this notion.Whilst true (again) that the 'good for Tigers' sentiment can issue forth, it is still bad for the player as he at least - in my eyes - deserves the opportunity.
Not the first , nor will be the last but that cannot (for me) justify the situation in the wider sphere.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 am Welsh Coach Wayne Pivac (attempts to) gives an explanation for Tom Reffell's latest omission from the Welsh squad.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ad-6063322

Whist no one can question a coaches choice to select who he likes ( if we could we would be here forever re. Eddie J) I do find Reffell's continued absence somewhat baffling.
It is very true that Wales are well stocked on the Flanks but to me you pick your best players as good players can adapt. Reffell is one good player and the wider audience are starting to wake up this notion.Whilst true (again) that the 'good for Tigers' sentiment can issue forth, it is still bad for the player as he at least - in my eyes - deserves the opportunity.
Not the first , nor will be the last but that cannot (for me) justify the situation in the wider sphere.
Pivac mentions Reffell and Morgan are omitted due to ability to play the Wales style and proof over top end fitness.

I presume the top end fitness bit is aimed at Morgan because Tigers fitness levels are outstanding and Reffell is a machine. A mainly defensive machine though, I'm a huge Reffell fan but in attack he's not the all action type ala Thomas Young who has been selected. Reffell in attack is more the cog in the system making things tick so the big ball carriers and backs are available to do their thing. That doesn't seem to be what Pivac wants from his openside.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can Reffell play for England?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:32 am Can Reffell play for England?
Pretty sure he can, not sure he would want to though
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 am
He might have to make a tough decision soon,but look at Holmes and Costelow. Going home doesn't guarantee a Wales place. The league is a few step backwards too,I hope he stays regardless but it's tough.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:37 am
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 am
He might have to make a tough decision soon,but look at Holmes and Costelow. Going home doesn't guarantee a Wales place. The league is a few step backwards too,I hope he stays regardless but it's tough.
True, I think he is in a tough spot regardless as England aren't short of 7's either
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This feels like Pivac putting pressure on Reffell to sign with Scarlets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:44 am This feels like Pivac putting pressure on Reffell to sign with Scarlets
Yep,Davis isn’t getting any younger
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm Whilst I understand that the Welsh are worried all their players might leave, crippling the franchises, it must surely be illegal restrictive practice to stop people working where they choose, if it is not illegal it should be. The pressures applied on individuals is more than just saying if you leave we won't pick you, this is coercive action before they are selected, shame for the players. The Scots have always picked players from abroad, even those "kilted kiwis" who had never been to the country. England used to pick players who played abroad but then stopped doing it citing they couldn't get early release of players for training as they could from the premiership, a sad and sorry mess where league fixtures clash with International matches.
...they need to setup a draft system where a player can go to the team most deserving of his services and still get paid the same money irrespective of the team he is playing for.
Looking to level the playing fields and the player does not suffer financially.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:44 am This feels like Pivac putting pressure on Reffell to sign with Scarlets
Davies isn't getting any younger but Davis and McLeod are under 25 and both opensides. Hopefully they develop and we retain Reffell a bit longer. Pivac and the WRU have made promises to non-Welsh based players before to lure them back, it isn't always the best solution for the player.

I'm sure Reffell will have seen Costelow go back and have his development stalled compared to the other young guns at Tigers. Costelow is struggling for game time but Martin, JVP, Chessum, Kelly, Steward and Dolly who are all similar ages are getting regular opportunities. Martin, Kelly and Steward have all been capped as well.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am
Davies isn't getting any younger but Davis and McLeod are under 25 and both opensides. Hopefully they develop and we retain Reffell a bit longer. Pivac and the WRU have made promises to non-Welsh based players before to lure them back, it isn't always the best solution for the player.

I'm sure Reffell will have seen Costelow go back and have his development stalled compared to the other young guns at Tigers. Costelow is struggling for game time but Martin, JVP, Chessum, Kelly, Steward and Dolly who are all similar ages are getting regular opportunities. Martin, Kelly and Steward have all been capped as well.
Thanks,getting my Davies and Davis mixed up. Great points about our youth too,if you’re good enough you will get your chance here!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I guess that it's one of those things where if the player challenges the practice in the courts - what's the chance of him getting picked if he wins? Remember the Bosman ruling in Wendyball? Nobody touched him after his legal challenge