Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:44 am This feels like Pivac putting pressure on Reffell to sign with Scarlets
Yep,Davis isn’t getting any younger
Davies isn't getting any younger but Davis and McLeod are under 25 and both opensides. Hopefully they develop and we retain Reffell a bit longer. Pivac and the WRU have made promises to non-Welsh based players before to lure them back, it isn't always the best solution for the player.

I'm sure Reffell will have seen Costelow go back and have his development stalled compared to the other young guns at Tigers. Costelow is struggling for game time but Martin, JVP, Chessum, Kelly, Steward and Dolly who are all similar ages are getting regular opportunities. Martin, Kelly and Steward have all been capped as well.
I believe Reffell is dual qualified.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:11 pm I guess that it's one of those things where if the player challenges the practice in the courts - what's the chance of him getting picked if he wins? Remember the Bosman ruling in Wendyball? Nobody touched him after his legal challenge
The issues are completely different though. There is no right for anyone to play for their country, it's a privilege. And it's also completely opinion-based - ask any of us on here for the best XV for any team and you'll get lots of different answers, so the defence will also have a case of XX isn't being picked because they aren't good ennough etc.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I was Tommy I'd stay well away from Scarlets! Getting smashed currently at Leinster and their gun team got crushed at home last week to Munster B/C
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think I would start to worry about Reffell going to wales once Tips and Navidi leave wales.
I don't think he's a pivac open side regardless of who he plays for.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:31 pm I think I would start to worry about Reffell going to wales once Tips and Navidi leave wales.
I don't think he's a pivac open side regardless of who he plays for.
Is Wainwright a 6 or 7,minds gone blank. Very good player!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

6 isn’t he?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seems Pivac confident that Reffell will be moving back to wales in the next 2 years looking at the rugby paper
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I believe Wainwright can play either flank but has played 6 for Wales.

Reffell is dual qualified but very much considers him Welsh from what I've heard previously. I think he qualifies on residency. I'd hope we have a nice long term deal sat ready for him to sign the week before he makes his Wales debut. Pivac and the WRU are desperate to drag back as much WQ talent as they can but hopefully we can offer something they can't, the chance to win silverware domestically.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree that Reffell isn’t a Pivac style 7 but might be better suited for Wales at 6?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's quite a few players who have been made hollow promises by both Wales and Scotland in the fairly recent past, I can think of a couple of ex Tigers whose career seem to go downhill after leaving us, mind I can think of a couple of English players who also probably wished they'd never left us.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If I was Tigers I'd be pointing out Costelow, Holmes, Roberts and probably more I've forgotten who all listened to the WRU and have ended up in arguably a worse position
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm If I was Tigers I'd be pointing out Costelow, Holmes, Roberts and probably more I've forgotten who all listened to the WRU and have ended up in arguably a worse position
Holmes had little choice. He was capped, and therefore had to sign for a Welsh side when his contract ran out else he wouldn't be eligible for another one - I assume he left a year early due to personal circumstances and the specifics of his new contract. And he did play for Wales over the summer.

The others are interesting situations. Costelow hardly got a look in at Leicester as far as I remember before he moved - does anyone have his actual number of appearances for the seniors? Not sure his development would have been any different had he stayed, I don't think he is in the same league as Ford, Umaga or a Smith at similar ages.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:49 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm If I was Tigers I'd be pointing out Costelow, Holmes, Roberts and probably more I've forgotten who all listened to the WRU and have ended up in arguably a worse position
Holmes had little choice. He was capped, and therefore had to sign for a Welsh side when his contract ran out else he wouldn't be eligible for another one - I assume he left a year early due to personal circumstances and the specifics of his new contract. And he did play for Wales over the summer.

The others are interesting situations. Costelow hardly got a look in at Leicester as far as I remember before he moved - does anyone have his actual number of appearances for the seniors? Not sure his development would have been any different had he stayed, I don't think he is in the same league as Ford, Umaga or a Smith at similar ages.
Costelow would have played more but once the club knew he was off they didn't bother to find the game time for him
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Reffell was to go I would hope we try and pinch Hinckley from Exeter
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 pm If Reffell was to go I would hope we try and pinch Hinckley from Exeter
Hinckley looked a gun 7 at U20s. He just needs to stay fit.

I was thinking Will Evans might find himself down the order at Quins with Kenningham's emergence as well.