Premiership 2021-2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership 2021-2022

Post by Scott1 »

Are we any closer to knowing if it will be a closed shop again? I hope so,it certainly didn’t effect this season at all. 13 teams this season,14 the season after hopefully.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:33 pm Are we any closer to knowing if it will be a closed shop again? I hope so,it certainly didn’t effect this season at all. 13 teams this season,14 the season after hopefully.
Yes we are and no it isn't.

From the BBC website:

"Next season's second-tier winners are also set to go up, with no prospect of Premiership relegation until 2023-24.

That will come in the form of a play-off before an annual one up, one down system returns for the 2024-25 season."
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

This is a compromise as it will allow Ealing to come up in a year.

After that it will be very difficult to gain promotion. Sides play a season with the budget and playing squad commensurate with the league they are in be that Premiership or Championship and that is what goes into the play offs.

At present promoted sides get some time (the off season) to recruit and prepare that squad for the premiership which won't happen with play offs, so they have to beat a Premiership side with a Championship side to get promoted and only then can they build a side. Going to be more difficult.

I wonder what would prevent those sides assembling a side for the play offs - like the Barbarians are? Are they obliged to use their existing squad or can they sign half the All Blacks just for the play offs?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:22 am This is a compromise as it will allow Ealing to come up in a year.

After that it will be very difficult to gain promotion. Sides play a season with the budget and playing squad commensurate with the league they are in be that Premiership or Championship and that is what goes into the play offs.

At present promoted sides get some time (the off season) to recruit and prepare that squad for the premiership which won't happen with play offs, so they have to beat a Premiership side with a Championship side to get promoted and only then can they build a side. Going to be more difficult.

I wonder what would prevent those sides assembling a side for the play offs - like the Barbarians are? Are they obliged to use their existing squad or can they sign half the All Blacks just for the play offs?
Generally agree. However, if you have a sugar daddy, like Bristol and Ealing have, could they not spend up to the Premiership cap whilst in the Championship and have a 'Premiership ready' squad and team when/if they go into the play-off? A big gamble I know, but didn't Bristol do something along those lines? If it worked, it would mean yet another club hostage to the whim/fortune of a single person (no good).
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There is a cautionary tale in the demise of London Welsh who spent furiously trying to bolster their team and crashed and burned spectacularly.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Isn't the salary cap smaller in the Championship than the Premiership?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:52 pm There is a cautionary tale in the demise of London Welsh who spent furiously trying to bolster their team and crashed and burned spectacularly.
But didn't they do the vast majority of their spending after achieving promotion and only had 'leftovers' to choose from? IIRC very few of the players who achieved the promotion got to play in the Premiership. Or am I getting mixed up with someone else
🤔
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I think you are entirely right. But they were always short of cash and I don't think could afford to gamble on buying players before their promotion was guaranteed. What the state of Ealing et al is, I haven't the foggiest.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Wonder what the Gloucester faithful will make of this ?
Whats in a name , after all ? The Compeed Shed ......

https://www.soglos.com/sport-outdoor/50 ... rship-deal
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:49 pm I think you are entirely right. But they were always short of cash and I don't think could afford to gamble on buying players before their promotion was guaranteed. What the state of Ealing et al is, I haven't the foggiest.
London welsh had no option but to pick up "the leftovers" after fighting the court case to get their promotion. Unfortunately unlike Wasps they were not in a position (free transport to home games for season ticket holders & free tickets to try to get locals to sign up) to ensure they got sufficient income to support their move to Oxford.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 am Wonder what the Gloucester faithful will make of this ?
Whats in a name , after all ? The Compeed Shed ......

https://www.soglos.com/sport-outdoor/50 ... rship-deal
They wouldn't need Compeed if their boots fitted properly
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Premiership 'ins' and 'outs' thus far ; All clubs :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-new- ... hip-clubs/
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I'm really looking forward to this season, based on some club rebuilds and no major changes to squads im going with the below.

1. Bristol
2. Exeter
3. Saracens
4. Leicester
5. Harlequins
6. Sale
7. Wasps
8. London Irish
9. Worcester Warriors
10. Northampton Saints
11. Bath
12. Newcastle Falcons