Premiership 2021-2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Premiership 2021-2022

Post by BigDan50 »

Now that Saracens have returned to the premiership where do people think they will finish in the league, I’m of the opinion that top four is achievable, if they do get a top four position I wouldn’t bet against them going onto win it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership 2021-2022

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:33 am Now that Saracens have returned to the premiership where do people think they will finish in the league, I’m of the opinion that top four is achievable, if they do get a top four position I wouldn’t bet against them going onto win it.
I don't think they're as good as they think they are. This season very few of their players have developed much in the Championship. Whilst them getting top 4 wouldn’t surprise me I think I could see them finishing around 6th
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hopefully bottom!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sarries replenished with loanees, but not fully. Davies and van Zyl are certainly good players, but the shoes of Wigglesworth and Spencer will be big to fill. Also the loss of Skelton and Kruis in the engine room will be felt, especially during the Six Nations, where I'm predicting after a good start they will begin to falter.

This is what I think the table could finish like at the end of the next season, although I might change my mind by August:

1. Sale
2. Bristol
3. Exeter
4. Leicester
5. Saracens
6. Harlequins
7. Northampton Saints
8. Gloucester
9. Wasps
10. Bath
11. Worcester Warriors
12. London Irish
13. Newcastle Falcons
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think lot of teams have big question marks over them next season including to some extent ourselves:

Bath - pretty obvious really, they blow hot and cold - hard to see that changing currently with stadium plans not helping matters

Bristol - looked great for much of the season but the further it went the more vulnerable they looked and losing a home semi in that manner is going to test resolve and togetherness. Not writing them off for sure though - they are well resourced and still have the core of a good team.

Exeter - clearly not going anywhere regardless of whether they win tomorrow

Harlequins - regardless of tomorrow's game the questions will be asked, do they bring in a DoR and can that person make Quins a team for all seasons.

Gloucester - hard to see anything but another middling season

Leicester - clearly turned a corner but can we continue to improve and go top 4

London Irish - more positive than negatives and probably good they missed out on Champions Cup - destined for mid-table perhaps

Newcastle Falcons - hard to see Falcons challenging at the top but probably less of a puzzle than many.

Northampton Saints - another team that blows bit hot and cold - some great player in the squad though and might be able to push for top 4 again

Sale - no reason to suggest they won't continue where they left of this season

Saracens - after a year out a few of have moved on but the likes of McCall, Farrell, George, Vunipola's mean they should be fighting at the right end of the table

Wasps - Blackett seems to suggest things haven't gone their way this season (injuries) but the jury is out a little bit - some squad churn and will be very reliant on some big guns to perform.

Worcester Warriors - a team in rebuild - can they become competitive
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Injuries and international call ups will have a serious impact for us and other squads with England and Southern Hemisphere players.
Rugby Union must do more to ensure us, the loyal fans, see more of our players in a club shirt. How they do that I’m not sure!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:17 pm Injuries and international call ups will have a serious impact for us and other squads with England and Southern Hemisphere players.
Rugby Union must do more to ensure us, the loyal fans, see more of our players in a club shirt. How they do that I’m not sure!
Nothing different to any other season... or did I miss something :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ourla wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:23 pm I think lot of teams have big question marks over them next season including to some extent ourselves:

Bath - pretty obvious really, they blow hot and cold - hard to see that changing currently with stadium plans not helping matters

Bristol - looked great for much of the season but the further it went the more vulnerable they looked and losing a home semi in that manner is going to test resolve and togetherness. Not writing them off for sure though - they are well resourced and still have the core of a good team.

Exeter - clearly not going anywhere regardless of whether they win tomorrow

Harlequins - regardless of tomorrow's game the questions will be asked, do they bring in a DoR and can that person make Quins a team for all seasons.

Gloucester - hard to see anything but another middling season

Leicester - clearly turned a corner but can we continue to improve and go top 4

London Irish - more positive than negatives and probably good they missed out on Champions Cup - destined for mid-table perhaps

Newcastle Falcons - hard to see Falcons challenging at the top but probably less of a puzzle than many.

Northampton Saints - another team that blows bit hot and cold - some great player in the squad though and might be able to push for top 4 again

Sale - no reason to suggest they won't continue where they left of this season

Saracens - after a year out a few of have moved on but the likes of McCall, Farrell, George, Vunipola's mean they should be fighting at the right end of the table

Wasps - Blackett seems to suggest things haven't gone their way this season (injuries) but the jury is out a little bit - some squad churn and will be very reliant on some big guns to perform.

Worcester Warriors - a team in rebuild - can they become competitive
...very concise and would not disagree with any point made.Nice summary.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For Sarries , the questions come during international windows (should their present contingent remain in contention for caps).
They can no longer replace personnel like for like in ability and have to accept the trials and tribulations of most other club sides during this period.However they were/are well run and coached on field with a designated style and an obvious culture that the players have bought into , still a season in The Championship will not exactly have sharpened them up for greater challenges.
Certainly a strong first XV.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be pleasantly surprised if Tigers made top four. In my opinion 5/6th more likely dependant on injuries and international call ups. Can’t see sarries finishing outside top six and can see Bristol and Quins being worked out by opposition.
A2O
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think the top four in no particular order will be Exeter, Saracens, Sale and Bristol with Bath, Northampton, Tigers, Wasps and Harlequins fighting it out for the last two top six spots, it’s going to be a very interesting season, can’t wait.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Exeter and Saracens are the two most rounded teams who can play in different ways. Quins and Bristol can be disrupted if you get on top of their forwards. Sales main problem is their indiscipline .
I’ll go for :
1 Exeter
2 Saracens
3 Bristol
4 Sale
5 Tigers
6 Harlequins
7 Saints
8 Wasps
9 Bath
10 Gloucester
11 Irish
12 Newcastle
13 Worcester
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Who knows how Sarries will do.
Don't underestimate the loss of Alex Sanderson either.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:54 pm Who knows how Sarries will do.
Don't underestimate the loss of Alex Sanderson either.
Good point. He's shown already at Sale just how astute he is. That will be a loss for Sarries. Sarries have done well previously replacing the coaches they've lost such as Gustard and Farrell but Sanderson going at the same time as several of the big names could make it tough for them particularly during international windows.

I think they'll be aiming top 6 but they might miss out on the playoffs.
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

They were already starting to look less than invincible during international windows and will have less squad depth next season than in recent memory....
So I dont think they will find a top 4 finish easy to achieve.

After Sale, Chiefs and probably Briz the rest of the top six is wide open for me.

( except Worcs and Falcons as they are my pick to be fighting it out at the bottom )