New rules introduced August 1st

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

New rules introduced August 1st

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: New rules introduced August 1st

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope the 20 minute red goes ahead,especially if we are going to keep getting unwarranted dismissals for rugby incidents
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 am I hope the 20 minute red goes ahead,especially if we are going to keep getting unwarranted dismissals for rugby incidents
Completely agree. That is the only one which actually makes sense IMHO. The others mean even more kicking :smt017 :smt015 Nothing wrong with scrums, especially from a Tigers' point of view :)
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Goal line drop out and 50/22 make it more and more like Rugby League
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 am Goal line drop out and 50/22 make it more and more like Rugby League
I like the 50/22. It opens up more space for the attacking team because the defence has to drop an extra player back. Marcus Smith will be drooling at the thought!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I also understand the drop out. Less time lost from the game through endless reset 5m scrums is a more attractive prospect.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Dokie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:55 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 am Goal line drop out and 50/22 make it more and more like Rugby League
I like the 50/22. It opens up more space for the attacking team because the defence has to drop an extra player back. Marcus Smith will be drooling at the thought!
The only advantage I could see from this for the TIgers is more and more rolling mauls from 22 (I love rolling mauls), and also especially Ford and Hegerty would relish such opportunities.

Otherwise for me, it just means more kicking :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Dokie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:58 am I also understand the drop out. Less time lost from the game through endless reset 5m scrums is a more attractive prospect.
Disagree. This just gives a huge advantage to the defending team, an yet more kicks :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 . As well as a strong rolling maul, a good dominant scrum is also a joy to watch. The resets are often due to poor refereeing. Wouldnt it just make more sense to educate refs better?!

This is bad news for the Tigers.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

These rules will also be an advantage to the ozzies who, lets face it, cant scrummmage, and have a backs-based game. Who came up with these rules again?!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The 50-22 or as I may call it DKR (Daft Kicking Rule) is just going to mean you automatically kick it on turnover ball when nobody's back, despite it being normally good ball to attack with
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Back to kick tennis.
Does anyone remember the shouts that accompanied the Meyer era of kick tennis, like "keep hold of the XXXX thing" or "this isn't XXXXX tennis"?
We actually missed a couple of games, and it was the only time I left a game early, following an especially bad example.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I disagree about kick tennis.. I think Ford will be relishing this new rule change and with our rolling maul I can only see this helping our style of play. Hopefully it will mean less aimless box kicking and more kicking for the corner and to touch
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Going from a red and then several weeks further ban to only 20mins seems a big jump. Red in game with no further ban unless malicious would be the first step. An orange 20 mins and sub off for the more rugby incidents would be fine in the long run.

Better policing of the off side line or moving it back to 1m from the hindmost part of anybody in the ruck would be another option to make space for attacking.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am I disagree about kick tennis.. I think Ford will be relishing this new rule change and with our rolling maul I can only see this helping our style of play. Hopefully it will mean less aimless box kicking and more kicking for the corner and to touch
Why does the rule change mean that the rolling maul becomes more important?