Manu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wes

Re: Manu

Post by Wes »

Loved a fit and firing Manu, such a shame for the bloke.
When it comes to topping up the pension, Japan would be a good bet, lots of cash with a lot less flogging!
In the mean time, it would be a bad idea to base any team or gameplan around the bloke as there's just too much risk of injury. Due to this despite being an utter fan boy, I'm not sad he's not at tigers.
Would :censored: love to see him have a great last few seasons though.
I only live there to wind up the population!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wes wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 pm Loved a fit and firing Manu, such a shame for the bloke.
When it comes to topping up the pension, Japan would be a good bet, lots of cash with a lot less flogging!
In the mean time, it would be a bad idea to base any team or gameplan around the bloke as there's just too much risk of injury. Due to this despite being an utter fan boy, I'm not sad he's not at tigers.
Japan is a good shout!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

You have to think that this season is one of the most important in his career. Decent performances and few injuries and those lucrative contracts should be there but if he is limited to 4 or 5 matches and the rest on the sideline and you have to think that it may be the end, at least as a high earner. Hope he does go out on top but I still think that international retirement should come soon to help protect him and allow plenty of recovery time.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Yorkshire man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm After all the help and support which Tigers gave him through long periods of injury, and the odd amount of indiscipline and anti social behaviour, I was disgusted with him when he walked away from the club due to financial issues.

Because of the way he plays he is always going to suffer injuries of various sorts, but it seems that he is getting to a stage where he can no longer string a couple of games together without something long term cropping up. I feel sorry for him in that respect, but in a purely selfish way am glad that it is someone else's problem now. Our midfield has seemed to be more settled and productive this season without him, perhaps taking away from the players the thought about who would be dropped when he was fit.

I wish the guy well for the future but wonder if even he must be starting to consider ending his career sooner rather than later if only for his future well being and life.
Agree. I was pleased to see him for pragmatic playing reasons, but also around his general behaviour. My closest mate's son worked at a coffee shop where the players congregate after training. A polite unassuming sixteen year old at the time. He always said the Tigers players were great, particularly Youngs brothers, Ford (who is said was very modest and unassuming) and of course DC. But he referred to MT as always belittling the staff, showing off, and that his 'boorish entourage' were really unpleasant. The lad had no particular axe to grind. A Tiger's fan and an admirer of MT on the field. I suspect that wouldn't have lasted long under SB.
Pundit

Post by Pundit »

Couldn't agree more. Tigers nursed him through a total of about 3 years of injury, without which he wouldn't have had an England career. When the club, like others, was in financial difficulty, he not only jumped ship, but threatened to sue Tigers for a fortune. He then signed for Sale, on what was described as a bargain-basement deal; then had the gall to say that Sale really know how to look after a player! Add disloyalty to his unpredictability.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Pundit wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:33 pm Couldn't agree more. Tigers nursed him through a total of about 3 years of injury, without which he wouldn't have had an England career. When the club, like others, was in financial difficulty, he not only jumped ship, but threatened to sue Tigers for a fortune. He then signed for Sale, on what was described as a bargain-basement deal; then had the gall to say that Sale really know how to look after a player! Add disloyalty to his unpredictability.
A slow run downhill for the dynasty, alas. :smt022
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wes wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 pm Loved a fit and firing Manu, such a shame for the bloke.
He could end his rugby career there and then become a Sumu wrestler. :smt043
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

First fall in the ring and he would pull something. Past his sell by date.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

When you can move at that level of pace and are relied upon to crash ball with such forces time and again in teams lacking inventiveness then no one should be surprised at injuries.
It's not the players fault but more how he has been used.
Slower is more safe.
You pay for risk.
It would have been better for Manu all along to stay on the wing in my opinion.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm When you can move at that level of pace and are relied upon to crash ball with such forces time and again in teams lacking inventiveness then no one should be surprised at injuries.
Slower is more safe.
You pay for risk.
Behave yourself,I've seen milk turn quicker 😂 Positioning wise defensively he would've been pulled apart. Although I do agree he couldve been used better at times
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm When you can move at that level of pace and are relied upon to crash ball with such forces time and again in teams lacking inventiveness then no one should be surprised at injuries.
Slower is more safe.
You pay for risk.
Behave yourself,I've seen milk turn quicker 😂 Positioning wise defensively he would've been pulled apart. Although I do agree he couldve been used better at times
Alex did quite well at it and he turned even slower, as does our current winger.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's a long way round Nemani though.

Manu has never developed as a player, he should of used Umaga & Nonu as an inspiration, he also should of been used far more without the ball.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:23 pm It's a long way round Nemani though.

Manu has never developed as a player, he should of used Umaga & Nonu as an inspiration, he also should of been used far more without the ball.
It's a bit different playing outside players of the calibre of Dan Carter.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BFG wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:27 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:23 pm It's a long way round Nemani though.

It's a bit different playing outside players of the calibre of Dan Carter.
Both of those ABs started as wingers & ended as an AB 12 where you tend to need an all round game, that was more my point, even Dan Carter couldn't polish some of the tripe that has played in the centres for England.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't quite get this negativity to an ex player, he was great, he got injured, he left, no one player is ever bigger than the team, we move on.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.