Manu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pundit

Manu

Post by Pundit »

So, Manu is out of the England squad with a hamstring injury; Sale haven't had much value for their "bargain-basement" signing.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu

Post by northerntiger »

I’m torn. Loved him as a player, so feel sorry for him.
At the same time though, I’m glad his injuries are someone else’s problem. Do wonder what the Sale fans think
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Something badly wrong with his conditioning. He needs FDA approved nutritionals a la Bournemouth FC and a host of Soccer Clubs. Impossible to get in Europe as Vitamins only need to be food standard, which means basically they are all rubbish. As someone involved in 2 International Sports, this is a sadly neglected area for top European Sportsmen. Manu definitely would benefit from our choice. USANA.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fortysix wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm Something badly wrong with his conditioning. He needs FDA approved nutritionals a la Bournemouth FC and a host of Soccer Clubs. Impossible to get in Europe as Vitamins only need to be food standard, which means basically they are all rubbish. As someone involved in 2 International Sports, this is a sadly neglected area for top European Sportsmen. Manu definitely would benefit from our choice. USANA.
Didn't know you was in this field! What are your thoughts on Solgar supplements?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Absolute irony that a player so powerful and brutal should appear to be so fragile.Difficult situation for all concerned..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Gutted for him. You don’t wish his career of injuries on anyone. World class when fit and quite unstoppable.
I am sure the Sale fans knew what they were getting into when they signed him, regardless of Diamond chatting rubbish. It’s always been that equation, do you pay for a Manu who is fit 1/3 of the season and know that you will have a world class destructive player, or use his salary for 2 players who are fitter most of the season. Financially, the later makes sense.

Hope he gets playing again next year. Surprised he signed a new contract and isn’t in France as I type.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Surely there was no point picking him for this series anyway.

If England can't beat USA and Canada with the 3rds then there is no hope.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 am Gutted for him. You don’t wish his career of injuries on anyone. World class when fit and quite unstoppable.
I am sure the Sale fans knew what they were getting into when they signed him, regardless of Diamond chatting rubbish. It’s always been that equation, do you pay for a Manu who is fit 1/3 of the season and know that you will have a world class destructive player, or use his salary for 2 players who are fitter most of the season. Financially, the later makes sense.

Hope he gets playing again next year. Surprised he signed a new contract and isn’t in France as I type.
I was equally surprised but another injury at Sale may have meant that those lucrative foreign offers were just not there this time or he still has England aspirations through one more World Cup. Hopefully the latter but having similar problems at another club can tick off the idea that any issues were as a result of the training and care he was receiving here.

Given the equation that you mention above, I think that we are now stronger as a squad due to having more fexibility on the salary cap without Manu's wages.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I feel sorry for Manu. No luck with injuries. Wonder if we are seeing the end of a career.
I am somewhat frustrated with the amount of time and monies Tigers put into his operations Physio and conditioning, he chose not to stay and chose to move on
I am therefore delighted that its Sales problem now. Under Diamonds arrogance and egotism he signed him claiming he could do a better job than Tigers in keeping Manu on the pitch.
Sanderson will not be so accommodating. He'll possibly give him to the start of next season before he makes a decision.
Are we in a better place having lost May Manu and Eastmond Id say yes 100%
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Easton without a doubt.

Manu a fragile, expensive asset to any team. Probably too expensive and as such imbalanced our squad.

Match fit he would be a pick in any international side. On balance we have a stronger overall team and squad without him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 am Surely there was no point picking him for this series anyway.

If England can't beat USA and Canada with the 3rds then there is no hope.
After another strong, competitive MLR season, it’ll be interesting to see how that feeds into both the American and Canadian sides. I expect England to win of course, but it will by no means easy. Don’t forget that the USA defeated a 2nd String Scotland side in 2018.

However, of course should McGinty be injured combined with no Paul Lasike will be big losses for the Eagles.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

Was definitely good business for us off loading him and May. We were not in a position to be afforded the luxury of World Class players who were unavailable for large chunks of the season and with a wage cap limiting the quality of the back ups. I do think though if we improve again this season we will be needing them marquee type players if we are to be winning silverware long term.
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

After all the help and support which Tigers gave him through long periods of injury, and the odd amount of indiscipline and anti social behaviour, I was disgusted with him when he walked away from the club due to financial issues.

Because of the way he plays he is always going to suffer injuries of various sorts, but it seems that he is getting to a stage where he can no longer string a couple of games together without something long term cropping up. I feel sorry for him in that respect, but in a purely selfish way am glad that it is someone else's problem now. Our midfield has seemed to be more settled and productive this season without him, perhaps taking away from the players the thought about who would be dropped when he was fit.

I wish the guy well for the future but wonder if even he must be starting to consider ending his career sooner rather than later if only for his future well being and life.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hope he has some kind of injury free run. It’s getting to the stage now where even the French teams might be thinking twice about giving him a couple of years contract in which he could top up his pension and he certainly deserves that for what he’s done for the game. Good luck Manu!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I do like the conspiracy theory though.

Call him up Sunday, if he’s cited, then there are 3 meaningful games he can miss in the summer if banned. If he isn’t cited, withdraw him a day or so later with an “injury”.