13 team league 21/22

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Re: 13 team league 21/22

Post by bendy »

So is that no relegation for this season (21/22) too then?

Was that already a done deal? I must have missed it!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

bendy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:47 am So is that no relegation for this season (21/22) too then?

Was that already a done deal? I must have missed it!
Havnt come to a final decision yet,it was delayed. But I expect that will be the case

Edit: yes it's final!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 am RFU Council vote to agree to changes:

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... overy-plan

Here are some of the notable changes around promotion/relegation:
  • There will be a 14 team Premiership at the start of the 22/23 season with no relegation that season
  • "A 2022/23 season in which no side will be relegated from or promoted to the new 14-team Premiership"
  • "A play-off in the 2023/24 season between the club finishing bottom of the Premiership and the winner of the Championship (subject to that club meeting the required minimum standards), with the result to decide which club plays in the Premiership during the following season"
  • "Unless Council agrees otherwise, from season 2024/25, promotion and relegation between the Premiership & Championship will revert to being on an annual one-up, one-down basis"
Brilliant stuff!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting from 24/25 season clubs must have 15 EQP players and no more 2 foreign player limit.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Franchise Rugby on the way.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:56 am Interesting from 24/25 season clubs must have 15 EQP players and no more 2 foreign player limit.
Brexit rules Kolpak etc replacement has been agreed then.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:56 am Interesting from 24/25 season clubs must have 15 EQP players and no more 2 foreign player limit.

relevant bit; "From August 2024, the intention is to move to a position where there is a mandatory England Qualified Players (EQPs) system under which Premiership clubs must have a minimum of 15 EQPs in each match-day squad and the end of the foreign player rule to provide better England player development opportunities while giving greater flexibility for Premiership clubs to select non-EQP players of any nationality. There is further work to do to agree the detail of this subject to a new Professional Game Agreement (PGA) and introduction into regulation"

I'm thinking this is going to be challenged by certain clubs
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

daktari wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm

relevant bit; "From August 2024, the intention is to move to a position where there is a mandatory England Qualified Players (EQPs) system under which Premiership clubs must have a minimum of 15 EQPs in each match-day squad and the end of the foreign player rule to provide better England player development opportunities while giving greater flexibility for Premiership clubs to select non-EQP players of any nationality. There is further work to do to agree the detail of this subject to a new Professional Game Agreement (PGA) and introduction into regulation"

Well we averaged over 15 this season, as did most clubs, just averaging 15 and being required to have 15 is very different
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:59 am Franchise Rugby on the way.
:smt017 :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't see any clubs turning that down really.
Most clubs now are putting emphasis on their academies.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 pm
daktari wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Well we averaged over 15 this season, as did most clubs, just averaging 15 and being required to have 15 is very different
I don't see any benefit to shifting to a mandatory limit from the current system. It brings a lot of inflexibility and problems. If anything the rules need greater liberalisation to recognise non-EQPs who have been developed by English rugby but who aren't wanted by the RFU.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:59 am Franchise Rugby on the way.
Genuine question - why? Maybe I don’t follow rugby politics/economics closely enough, but I don’t see how this decision leads to franchise rugby.

On a related matter - I’m not exactly sure what the term ‘franchise rugby’ really means. It seems to be a term fairly loosely used to describe (in a disparaging way) soulless corporate creations that supplant traditional clubs…in which case it’s already here in the case of the Coventry/Ricoh Wasps!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

chris111 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:45 pm
Genuine question - why? Maybe I don’t follow rugby politics/economics closely enough, but I don’t see how this decision leads to franchise rugby.

On a related matter - I’m not exactly sure what the term ‘franchise rugby’ really means. It seems to be a term fairly loosely used to describe (in a disparaging way) soulless corporate creations that supplant traditional clubs…in which case it’s already here in the case of the Coventry/Ricoh Wasps!
Allowing the pests to completely move house & pitch a tent on others lawns was a disgrace, there is a perfectly good Rugby Union team in Cov with a big history.
As those you want to put money into a loss making enterprise either leave the Sport (or get thrown out for financial indiscretions) the RFU will get control of the top of the game that could/should of happened when the game went pro if the RFU had been living in the 1990's rather than the 1890s, logic then says you dont have 14 teams, even 12 seems too many.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 pm

Allowing the pests to completely move house & pitch a tent on others lawns was a disgrace, there is a perfectly good Rugby Union team in Cov with a big history.
As those you want to put money into a loss making enterprise either leave the Sport (or get thrown out for financial indiscretions) the RFU will get control of the top of the game that could/should of happened when the game went pro if the RFU had been living in the 1990's rather than the 1890s, logic then says you dont have 14 teams, even 12 seems too many.
Don't think that in any way answers the question(s).
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 pm

Problem with the RFU taking control is that that horse is long out of the stable and over the hill. It hasn't worked in Wales and I couldn't see it working in England. How would they take control, the Premiership is it own entity?
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..