Tom Youngs Verdict

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tom Youngs Verdict

Post by MCC1964 »

I’m stunned, but perhaps I ought not to be surprised. What a cop out.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not surprised one bit! Absolute joke!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not even a slap on the wrist!

I wouldn’t be too annoyed though, we all knew this was coming and if you think about it, Bristol have already got their punishment on the pitch.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

SB's call was absolutely correct. Lam lied and tried to pull a fast one changing his mind only after Tempest reminded him they would go down to 13 men with uncontested scrums and Tigers winning the ball.

It is a sad day when the RFU hasn't got the necessaries to stand up and deal with the matter :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

Nice of Tom to apologise to Ian Tempest and to acknowledge his comments were "heat of the moment". I hope some on social media, who wrote in the heat of the moment about the officiating, will do the same, at least in their own minds! That the business with Lam and the team manager is deemed over, with not even a statement, is unsatisfactory.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 pm
baz1664 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 pm Apology and the case was closed as per Tempest.

The RFU are pathetic!!
No, they’re only pathetic if they take no action against Pat Lam.
They took action re: Pat Lam, they gave him a :censored: award! The RFU are a bunch of useless stuffed shirts who have it in for us and are the worst perpetrators of actions prejudicial to the interests of the game. :smt013
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

It sounds like the RFU made a very unusual decision in this case and even to praising the Tigers QC for his submission.
The reasoning behind the judgement is well thought out and I hope Tom and the game will benefit.
There is no reference to the Lam incident in this judgement, but for those interested it is well worth a read.
~ https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/be/b ... tJun21.pdf
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I do have a bit of sympathy here for the judgement - hear me out !!
* Ref TY - he did swear at the official and that's wrong - so he was right to be punished - we cant have that creeping into the game.
* Regarding PL - we all know it was a bit of a game. But, as I understand it, the facts are that the player was listed as tactical and in the end went back on as if that were the case.
now, we know it was PL not knowing the rules and thinking uncontested scrums would be better for his team that caused the injury claim - when he realised it would mean losing another defender out wide, he accepted that Afoa should return.
I guess in the end, a tactical substitution returned to the game as per the rules.
regardless of the other bits of noise, no rules were broken..

just my view....
Less is more....
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bunchy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 am I do have a bit of sympathy here for the judgement - hear me out !!
* Ref TY - he did swear at the official and that's wrong - so he was right to be punished - we cant have that creeping into the game.
* Regarding PL - we all know it was a bit of a game. But, as I understand it, the facts are that the player was listed as tactical and in the end went back on as if that were the case.
now, we know it was PL not knowing the rules and thinking uncontested scrums would be better for his team that caused the injury claim - when he realised it would mean losing another defender out wide, he accepted that Afoa should return.
I guess in the end, a tactical substitution returned to the game as per the rules.

just my view....
At no time did Pat Lam use any abusive language too.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am
Bunchy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 am I do have a bit of sympathy here for the judgement - hear me out !!

just my view....
To suggest that a referee would be responsible for Afoa's injury was not on though, was it?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

wormus wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:56 pm It sounds like the RFU made a very unusual decision in this case and even to praising the Tigers QC for his submission.
The reasoning behind the judgement is well thought out and I hope Tom and the game will benefit.
There is no reference to the Lam incident in this judgement, but for those interested it is well worth a read.
~ https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/be/b ... tJun21.pdf
As a general rule I’d suggest we shall all take the time to read the full transcript of disciplinary hearings before commenting, rather than pontificating based on what we saw of the incident.

Maybe all forum users could agree to do this - no doubt we’ll still manage to argue about the outcome, but at least it will be a fully informed argument!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am

just my view....
To suggest that a referee would be responsible for Afoa's injury was not on though, was it?
For me that’s the thing Pat Lam did that should get punished. I would say that’s much worse then swearing at a Ref, he was essentially trying to blackmail tempest.

Imagine if Tom Youngs had said to Tempest - if you don’t give a penalty try now and I get injured on the next scrum it’s your fault.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Similar to what somebody posted then deleted, I believe that cheating is far worse than a couple of dubious words stating truths to a sir who bottled it IMHO. OTY should not have done it though (in the modern, not allowed to tell the truth or at least give opinions kind of way.)

I very much enjoyed Bristol losing though at the weekend. That works for me as punishment. At least it make me chuckle.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:56 pm Similar to what somebody posted then deleted, I believe that cheating is far worse than a couple of dubious words stating truths to a sir who bottled it IMHO. OTY should not have done it though (in the modern, not allowed to tell the truth or at least give opinions kind of way.)

I very much enjoyed Bristol losing though at the weekend. That works for me as punishment. At least it make me chuckle.
I said that,has it been deleted?! Not by me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 pm
Pellsey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:56 pm Similar to what somebody posted then deleted, I believe that cheating is far worse than a couple of dubious words stating truths to a sir who bottled it IMHO. OTY should not have done it though (in the modern, not allowed to tell the truth or at least give opinions kind of way.)

I said that,has it been deleted?! Not by me
You are obviously not allowed to give opinions like that any more!