Developments in NZ

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Developments in NZ

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:58 pm Was this not a response to the impact of huge South Sea Island kids putting off smaller kids from European origin from playing at junior levels and being lost to the game.

People are generally getting bigger because of better childhood nutrition but let’s not kid ourselves that anabolic and other agents are not playing a part in muscle bound juggernauts having the stamina to run around for 80 mins. It may be better policed at the top level but below that and at junior levels I have my concerns. Weight restrictions might just be a part of dissuading this bulking up.

However if you are a 6’3 prop you will struggle to make 85kg so not an easy balance.

Rowing has lightweight divisions but not so easy to apply given the different roles of a prop, lock, wing or scrum half.
Better childhood nutrition? Not for me,the food nowadays is dreadful compared to when I was young and is a massive contributor to childhood/teenage illnesses and mental conditions.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think there is a difference between “better nutrition” and more calories leading to a higher body mass at a given age. I honk if is the latter that we are seeing in rugby but also in other physical characteristics of both sexes. The long term health consequences may not be positive for those at the extreme end of the situation.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

What are house ends?
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Big boys. Props & Locks presumably!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 am Big boys. Props & Locks presumably!
Exactly.

One of the big pluses of rugby is that it is a sport suited for all shapes and sizes, particularly at the social game level. Yes, the general population is getting bigger with time and better nutrition is one key factor in the. It has often been said that 'a good big'n beats a good little'n' and again to some extent this is also true although smaller player in general are moor fleet of foot in comparison to lumbering giants.

As player become bigger and more powerful in the professional game the risk of serious injury increases but much of this risk can be mitigated by increased enforcement of rules designed to protect impact to the head and the stability of the scrum on engagement.

Yes, the laws of the game will always evolve over time to maintain and improve these safety measures but ideas such as limiting the weight of players is for me just plain daft and perhaps typical of what come out of that part of the world. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

I've certainly read about weight categories in youth rugby in NZ. Some of the Islander children and Maoris develop quicker than others. Many kids in NZ being put off playing as a 12 year old doesn't want to be hit by someone the size of a 16 year old.

On the weight issue when I played my weight was about 16 stones which is just over 100kg. I'm 6 foot tall. and played a bit in the back row but mostly second row. So not really that big. 85kg is what I am now and it equates to 13 1/2 stones. My BMI (which is a very blunt measure of body mass) is still only just into the normal category.

Muscle and fat weigh very differently. But I would say 85kg is very much on the light side for forwards.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Roadsweeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am I've certainly read about weight categories in youth rugby in NZ. Some of the Islander children and Maoris develop quicker than others. Many kids in NZ being put off playing as a 12 year old doesn't want to be hit by someone the size of a 16 year old.

On the weight issue when I played my weight was about 16 stones which is just over 100kg. I'm 6 foot tall. and played a bit in the back row but mostly second row. So not really that big. 85kg is what I am now and it equates to 13 1/2 stones. My BMI (which is a very blunt measure of body mass) is still only just into the normal category.

Muscle and fat weigh very differently. But I would say 85kg is very much on the light side for forwards.
Taking size and possibly weight into consideration in junior rugby is not a bad thing and back in the days when I coached at that level we occasionally played a player up a year. It also has the effect of helping such players as they have to think of developing skills rather than just relying on their size to win collisions.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noggs wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 am
Roadsweeper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am I've certainly read about weight categories in youth rugby in NZ. Some of the Islander children and Maoris develop quicker than others. Many kids in NZ being put off playing as a 12 year old doesn't want to be hit by someone the size of a 16 year old.

Taking size and possibly weight into consideration in junior rugby is not a bad thing and back in the days when I coached at that level we occasionally played a player up a year. It also has the effect of helping such players as they have to think of developing skills rather than just relying on their size to win collisions.
Veseys wouldn't put their really big kids in the teams - one year 9 was about 6 foot both ways and easily 16 stone if not more. Other schools had no such considerations.
I played centre/wing but was always being pushed to go flanker as my fighting weight was 13 stone. I resisted, as my hair was in superb shape in those far off days. #BrylcreemBoy
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 pm
Noggs wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 am

Veseys wouldn't put their really big kids in the teams - one year 9 was about 6 foot both ways and easily 16 stone if not more. Other schools had no such considerations.
I played centre/wing but was always being pushed to go flanker as my fighting weight was 13 stone. I resisted, as my hair was in superb shape in those far off days. #BrylcreemBoy
Veseys as in Sutton Coldfield?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yep. Was teaching there for 4 years part time, first year Zac Feaunati was Director of Rugby.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 pm Yep. Was teaching there for 4 years part time, first year Zac Feaunati was Director of Rugby.
Used to coach a junior team that played them a lot