Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:48 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am The European pool stage matches for next season are over four weekends Dec 10/11/12, Dec 17/18/19. Jan 14/15/16.
Jan 21/22/23 then into last sixteen 1st leg April 8/9/10. Hence my assumption just two home pool stage matches thatt can be included on the season ticket.
I foresee that the inclusion of South African teams in European competition will herald the further expansion of the 6 Nations with home nation star players away from Premiership club duty so reduced value for your season ticket and eventually as clubs struggle to compete with the various national Union funded provinces the next step will be to split England into regions with an amalgamation of some clubs to form District teams Midlands, North, London, South West etc at top level with traditional clubs like Tigers, Saints etc being reduced to the equivalent of a Principality League.
You may not think it could happen, but I bet the fans of Pontypool, Pontyridd, Neath, Bridgend, Swansea etc thought the same.
Very frightened of that scenario. :smt022
In Wales it killed off a lot of enthusiasm and support, which did not transfer to the regions except perhaps in the 'sticks' (Llanelli), and also diminished the traditional clubs, even to the point of dissolution (e.g. Neath).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:54 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am The European pool stage matches for next season are over four weekends Dec 10/11/12, Dec 17/18/19. Jan 14/15/16.
Jan 21/22/23 then into last sixteen 1st leg April 8/9/10. Hence my assumption just two home pool stage matches thatt can be included on the season ticket.
I foresee that the inclusion of South African teams in European competition will herald the further expansion of the 6 Nations with home nation star players away from Premiership club duty so reduced value for your season ticket and eventually as clubs struggle to compete with the various national Union funded provinces the next step will be to split England into regions with an amalgamation of some clubs to form District teams Midlands, North, London, South West etc at top level with traditional clubs like Tigers, Saints etc being reduced to the equivalent of a Principality League.
You may not think it could happen, but I bet the fans of Pontypool, Pontyridd, Neath, Bridgend, Swansea etc thought the same.
In Wales it killed off a lot of enthusiasm and support, which did not transfer to the regions except perhaps in the 'sticks' (Llanelli), and also diminished the traditional clubs, even to the point of dissolution (e.g. Neath).
Like I said, if that were to happen to a traditional club like Tigers, that would be devastating. Time for clubs to break away but where would they get their funding?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am I foresee that the inclusion of South African teams in European competition will herald the further expansion of the 6 Nations
That's an interesting thought. I presume you mean SA will join to make a 7 nation competition. I am not sure I see that happening because it has ramifications for other nations. Italy could of course be dropped. Which would create friction given they are a part of the URC and European competitions. Also it would be a big loss to The Rugby Championship. On balance I don't see it happening. And consequently, the rest of it.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In addition to the Free to Air options Premier Sports now confirmed to broadcast every game in th UK and Ireland :

https://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/premi ... nd-ireland
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Congratulations to Benetton Rugby - winners of the inaugural Rainbow Cup :

Benetton Treviso 35-8 Vodacom Bulls, Stadio Comunale Di Mongio , Saturday June 19 2021.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:46 am Congratulations to Benetton Rugby - winners of the inaugural Rainbow Cup :

Benetton Treviso 35-8 Vodacom Bulls, Stadio Comunale Di Mongio , Saturday June 19 2021.
Good luck to them. That’s the craziest outcome to a competition that I can remember.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

That's a crazy result! Aren't - or weren't, Bulls one of the senior South African sides in Super rugby (formerly Northern Transvaal)?
Maybe they sent a weakened side?
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:14 am That's a crazy result! Aren't - or weren't, Bulls one of the senior South African sides in Super rugby (formerly Northern Transvaal)?

they weren't allowed to send any Bok players.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 am
Robespierre wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:14 am That's a crazy result! Aren't - or weren't, Bulls one of the senior South African sides in Super rugby (formerly Northern Transvaal)?

Granted, but there were still some good players in the team and they were playing a Benetton team who didn’t win a single game in the Pro 14 league.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Dokie wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:37 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 am

Granted, but there were still some good players in the team and they were playing a Benetton team who didn’t win a single game in the Pro 14 league.
True, but they also won all their games in the rainbow cup (one through Covid) but beating Glasgow and Connacht along the way was no mean feat.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SA teams lack a lot of good depth IMO, for obvious reasons.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:54 pm

Like I said, if that were to happen to a traditional club like Tigers, that would be devastating. Time for clubs to break away but where would they get their funding?
They already have as the Premiership. It would never happen. Same with France. The leagues individually are commercially more attractive than any alternative. There’s a reason the Pro14 is so commercially unattractive.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jay Z Roc Nation has teamed up with the URC. Get ready for performances at HT by Beyoncé and Rihanna 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fair play to the URC, getting Roc Nation on board will help rugby grow in the global game in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Full fixture list unveiled together with terrestrisl TV deals for SC4 and BBC Wales :

https://www.unitedrugby.com/match-centre