The Play Offs...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Re: The Play Offs...

Post by Jacko27 »

Harlequins and Exeter - right finalists for me. Harlequins for the most fantastic come back in play off history ( don't think that's hyperbole!) and rather pleased that Bristol got their comeuppance after the last ten minutes of our game. And I'm an Exeter fan ( after us, of course) because in an age when most clubs buy in talent from around the world, Exeter seem still ( just about) to represent their region.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:38 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:32 pm I’m all rugbyed out, I ain’t watching the other semifinal. I’m also gonna blame this on the Three Lions losing last night too.
I'd call that result serendipitous :smt002

btw, might have felt like it, but the Three Lions didn't lose last night.
You’re right, my apologies have corrected.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Be interesting to see how Bristol react next season, Earl and Malins are going to be big losses for them I reckon.

Saying that though for as talented as Earl is, he does seem to be lacking in brain cells as he gives away some silly penalties away at the breakdown.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

That Chiefs’ chant is awful! Like a funeral dirge. I won’t be the only neutral cheering for Quins next Saturday !!
Semper in excretia
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Two great games.

Really chuffed for Quins. They've been a revelation in the second half of the season. Everybody saying they couldn't beat the top clubs playing the way they do. Well, clearly that is wrong.

Chiefs were really good defensively.

Don't mind who wins just looking forward to the Final.

What a great day of Prem rugby.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Seems like sacking Gustard was the correct decision
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jacko27 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 pm Harlequins and Exeter - right finalists for me. Harlequins for the most fantastic come back in play off history ( don't think that's hyperbole!) and rather pleased that Bristol got their comeuppance after the last ten minutes of our game. And I'm an Exeter fan ( after us, of course) because in an age when most clubs buy in talent from around the world, Exeter seem still ( just about) to represent their region.
Only just watched the match and managed to watch without finding out the result! WHAT A MATCH! 28-0 down to come back and win it in Extra time.. absolutely incredible and I completely agree with you. I don’t like Quins particularly but after the Tigers Bristol match I was fully behind Quins and so glad they won to deny Bristol the chance to win the final.. now it’s over to Exeter :smt023 :smt041

Can’t remember a match I enjoyed more and certainly can’t remember a match quite like this one! Outstanding
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Bristol 28-0 up, Quins come back to 31-31.. 2 ruled out tries because of forward passes, and what is so sweet is Bristol fans chanting ‘Off Off Off’ and booing looking for a red card at the end of ET but this week the controversy comes back to bite them and they end up on the wrong side of the decision and the try stands.. Couldn’t have written a better script :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 pm Bristol 28-0 up, Quins come back to 31-31.. 2 ruled out tries because of forward passes, and what is so sweet is Bristol fans chanting ‘Off Off Off’ and booing looking for a red card at the end of ET but this week the controversy comes back to bite them and they end up on the wrong side of the decision and the try stands.. Couldn’t have written a better script :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Great wasn’t it,I posted game over at 16-0 after 12 minutes! Sheedy blew it for them mate for me,38-31 up a break out wide all he had to do was put a grubber kick in to leave a chase or at worse a Quins line out deep in their own 22 and he went for glory and gave a turnover penalty to Lynagh. That lost them the game right there with Quins scoring not long after.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:53 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 pm Bristol 28-0 up, Quins come back to 31-31.. 2 ruled out tries because of forward passes, and what is so sweet is Bristol fans chanting ‘Off Off Off’ and booing looking for a red card at the end of ET but this week the controversy comes back to bite them and they end up on the wrong side of the decision and the try stands.. Couldn’t have written a better script :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Great wasn’t it,I posted game over at 16-0 after 12 minutes! Sheedy blew it for them mate for me,38-31 up a break out wide all he had to do was put a grubber kick in to leave a chase or at worse a Quins line out deep in their own 22 and he went for glory and gave a turnover penalty to Lynagh. That lost them the game right there with Quins scoring not long after.
Game of fine margins for sure. Lots of missed points too by Sheedy and then there’s the botched drop goal attempt (same passage of play you mentioned) but the young Quins lads Green and Lynagh had an incredible match.. outstanding and it was so nice to see Bristol lose that one after the debacle at MWWR last week
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:53 pm
Game of fine margins for sure. Lots of missed points too by Sheedy and then there’s the botched drop goal attempt (same passage of play you mentioned) but the young Quins lads Green and Lynagh had an incredible match.. outstanding and it was so nice to see Bristol lose that one after the debacle at MTWR last week
Yes,it was definitely karma. Marler was immense too and their 7 is teak tough!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

One thing is for sure.. there have been 4 fantastic teams playing some outstanding rugby today. 2 great games and shows the level we should be aiming for.. although we did beat Quins and should have beaten Bristol.. just saying :smt002 :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Bristol down to 13 at the end (shades of our game) and presumably everyone who was off marked as injured this time!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’ve enjoyed watching Quins for as long as I can remember. We have watched Tigers at the Stoop or Twickers most seasons for over 40 years and their fans are, in my opinion the best. In one of ‘The Clash’ games v Bath some Quins’ fans sat with us which surprised us as straight after our game Quins v Sarries was on at Wembley. The Quins’ lads said they’d come to support us as they couldn’t stand watching rugby at a football stadium!
When not playing us I always want Quins to win.
I’d also enjoyed watching Bristol but after the two games against us this season I lost a lot of respect for them as twice their forwards got away with frequent and blatant infringements defending their try line. They are an exciting team to watch but today, with Barnes in charge could get away with things that other refs have let go.
I expect today’s extra time will have taken a lot out of Quins and Exeter will stifle their attacking play.
Good luck Quins: I hope I’m wrong and you beat Exeter.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Very surprised but delighted to see karma come back to bite Pat Lam after such a short amount of time. Usually it takes a bit longer - the 16 man Ospreys incident was about 7 years after the Hand of Back!

On field stuff like hands in the ruck, offsides etc I don’t mind - all sides try it - but the off-field calculated skullduggery is something that really grates me. It will make Bris difficult to like for a while, despite Lam being an undeniably good coach with an exciting squad - although, he will have to answer questions about how mentally prepared his squad is after today.

Delighted for Quins. Lots of young and unsung talent and play a bonkers brand of rugby that is a lot of fun to watch - and, given their comebacks this season, their attitude, fitness and backbone needs serious praise. Well done Evans and the gang - what a group of talented coaches.

Bristol fans should be a bit worried though. Twice this season they have bottled knockout games they should have won (today was on a different level, mind). There’s obviously a mental fragility or laziness there and this could either scar or inspire them. Also, I am not sure if they have finished their recruitment but they are losing Malins, Earl and S Piutau (amongst others) and I have not yet seen any obvious replacements. There is a risk that - particularly without Sarries - this was their big opportunity and they have blown it.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com