Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: The Play Offs...

Post by Scott1 »

🤞for a Quins/Sale final!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bristol virtually full strength for semi - only two missing from squad (maybe tactical ???)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... va-5536931
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I see Rob Baxter is bleating about the unfairness of Exeter players being suspended for foul play. It’s noteworthy how united coaches are in supporting to clampdown on illegal head contact - until it happens to their players.

I’m pleased that SB seems to be an exception - I certainly don’t recall him publicly criticising suspensions of Tigers players in such circumstances.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Baxter can talk the way his players torpedo over rucks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Big players are still hitting with the shoulder first then wrapping the arms whilst standing in an upright position. These are not the cheek to cheek tackles of junior rugby. If the make a “dominant hit” on someone s head it is dangerous. I am pleased to see less of those from Tigers recently and no complaints from the coaches. The big problem area is how to defend with a traditional tackle near the line. Chiefs are successful on that red are and also diving into rucks. They now need to recognise the came may be changing back to the traditional play on your feet and tackle at the waist.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

chris111 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 am I see Rob Baxter is bleating about the unfairness of Exeter players being suspended for foul play. It’s noteworthy how united coaches are in supporting to clampdown on illegal head contact - until it happens to their players.

I’m pleased that SB seems to be an exception - I certainly don’t recall him publicly criticising suspensions of Tigers players in such circumstances.
Sale are lucky to still have Manu after his no arms hit the other match
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

chris111 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 am I see Rob Baxter is bleating about the unfairness of Exeter players being suspended for foul play. It’s noteworthy how united coaches are in supporting to clampdown on illegal head contact - until it happens to their players.

i agree with the SB thought - dignified silence often says much more...

I do however agree a little with RB - not about the sanctions so much, but more the inconsistency of refereeing (including the TMO). However, they would have been much wiser in the Exeter players case to have admitted the crime and therefore got less time.....
I think these law changes are there for players protection and are right - and the players have to do their bit to make the change. the number of cards have reduced significantly since the initial onslaught.
Less is more....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Rob Baxter has always come across well in front of the cameras but you do see a different side to the man when they don't get the rub of the green.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 am

I do however agree a little with RB - not about the sanctions so much, but more the inconsistency of refereeing (including the TMO). However, they would have been much wiser in the Exeter players case to have admitted the crime and therefore got less time.....
I think these law changes are there for players protection and are right - and the players have to do their bit to make the change. the number of cards have reduced significantly since the initial onslaught.
I think “inconsistency” is inevitable - refereeing is about judgement/interpretation of each individual incident and the countless variables that provide the context. I actually think there is too little inconsistency in decision-making now! When I see/hear the referee and TMO working their way through the protocol to determine a sanction it feels like a mechanistic checklist has supplanted experience/judgement. I’d actually like to see them occasionally say “OK, we’ve looked at the required elements (fact, intent, mitigation, exacerbation) and the metrics say ‘Red/Yellow/whatever’…but a single incident has far too many variables to be reduced to a simple checklist, so our decision, based on the protocols + our years of experience getting a feel for the full context of similar incidents our decision is ‘X’”.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Noggs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 am Rob Baxter has always come across well in front of the cameras but you do see a different side to the man when they don't get the rub of the green.
Yes,I’ve noticed that a few times. I’m sure he got caught out once on a ref mic or something too which showed a different side to him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:01 am
Noggs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 am Rob Baxter has always come across well in front of the cameras but you do see a different side to the man when they don't get the rub of the green.
Yes,I’ve noticed that a few times. I’m sure he got caught out once on a ref mic or something too which showed a different side to him.
You don't get where he's been, and face down Tony Rowe a couple of years ago, without being a ruthless SOB.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chris111 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:58 am

I think “inconsistency” is inevitable - refereeing is about judgement/interpretation of each individual incident and the countless variables that provide the context. I actually think there is too little inconsistency in decision-making now! When I see/hear the referee and TMO working their way through the protocol to determine a sanction it feels like a mechanistic checklist has supplanted experience/judgement. I’d actually like to see them occasionally say “OK, we’ve looked at the required elements (fact, intent, mitigation, exacerbation) and the metrics say ‘Red/Yellow/whatever’…but a single incident has far too many variables to be reduced to a simple checklist, so our decision, based on the protocols + our years of experience getting a feel for the full context of similar incidents our decision is ‘X’”.
Chris that would work fine if all refs had the same level of skill/experience but they don't so they have to stick with the format as laid down in the Laws.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Exactly. Like our courts, referees adjudicate according to law not justice.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Semi final Preview provided by former England 7's Captain Ollie Phillips :

https://www.cityam.com/ollie-phillips-w ... mi-finals/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

chris111 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:58 am

Yeah - very fair and well made point. There HAS to be some interpretation.........
Less is more....