Super User

Gloucesters pitch....

Post by fentiger »

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Glaws pitch....

Post by kpj tiger »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am ...going plastic: https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/new-training-ground :smt017
An interesting move to take your training facility to the middle of a city and have it completely indoors, certainly looks flash on the renders!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucesters pitch....

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I wonder how long before the entire league is played on these dreadful things.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 am I wonder how long before the entire league is played on these dreadful things.
The synthetic surfaces have come a long way from the days of friction burns, no give so it feels like landing on concrete and knee snapping for those who get their studs caught.

I played on one a few years ago after a week of rain when our pitch was unplayable. It was fantastic, like playing on grass without the mud. I'm not sure how that one differentiates from the ones Glaws are using but as someone with dodgy knees it was better than playing on a bog. I suspect the pro level ones are another step up again.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Something of a traditionalist , but can only wait and see how it plays...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will help Tigers potentially get more International type games though.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mixed feelings on the Gloucester forum

http://www.rugb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12342

I can see how it makes sense for them commercially but I'd like to think the likes of us and Saints will stick with what we've got.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Our hybrid pitch seems to hold up pretty well and I too think the game should be played on grass. That said it is too late to but the genie back in the bottle.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The injury on Sat to AJ MacGinty seemed at the time, caused from his studs catching in the pitch, I know the Chiefs use a hybrid pitch, is there cause and effect, or just an accident?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Didn’t Glaws just spend a fortune on their existing pitch quite recently ?!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 pm Didn’t Glaws just spend a fortune on their existing pitch quite recently ?!
I believe so, think it's currently a hybrid?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:54 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 am I wonder how long before the entire league is played on these dreadful things.
The synthetic surfaces have come a long way from the days of friction burns, no give so it feels like landing on concrete and knee snapping for those who get their studs caught.

I played on one a few years ago after a week of rain when our pitch was unplayable. It was fantastic, like playing on grass without the mud. I'm not sure how that one differentiates from the ones Glaws are using but as someone with dodgy knees it was better than playing on a bog. I suspect the pro level ones are another step up again.
Played on one at Shelford and it was excellent but tough on the joints. It’s just not the same. Grass all day for me.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:54 am

Played on one at Shelford and it was excellent but tough on the joints. It’s just not the same. Grass all day for me.
Tigers’ had a few nasty knee injuries on them in the couple of years after they first appeared; Owen Williams and Ed Slater amongst them IIRC.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BengalTiger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:01 pm The injury on Sat to AJ MacGinty seemed at the time, caused from his studs catching in the pitch, I know the Chiefs use a hybrid pitch, is there cause and effect, or just an accident?
I’d suspect just an accident. Hybrid pitches still use a fairly sandy but natural subsoil, and the artificial fibres only make up 5-10% of the playing surface “grass” content.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The Kingston Park pitch you end up with lots of black bits embedded into various limbs !