Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 pm Perhaps revert to Aki & Henshaw in the midfield.

Boks face a selection dilemma, Mostert isn’t a natural blindside which is something the Lions could exploit.
Not really,when the 3 locks were playing that’s when they were at their best.
Though you'd hope the Lions would adapt to that and play coast to coast and force the big three lock pack to cover a larger distance and tire quicker. SA not exactly short on locks though.

Of course we'd have to actually pick a more mobile pack than what we've shoved out for the last couple of tests though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 pm Perhaps revert to Aki & Henshaw in the midfield.

Boks face a selection dilemma, Mostert isn’t a natural blindside which is something the Lions could exploit.
Not really,when the 3 locks were playing that’s when they were at their best.
Though you'd hope the Lions would adapt to that and play coast to coast and force the big three lock pack to cover a larger distance and tire quicker. SA not exactly short on locks though.

Of course we'd have to actually pick a more mobile pack than what we've shoved out for the last couple of tests though.
SA would just counteract that though by starting Smith instead of Weise. He's super quick for a BR
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Apparently Weise was SA top tackler with Kolisi at 14,big shift!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Got to love our Jasper 🔥
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

SA dominated 2nd half but would have been a different game if Kolbie got the red he should have (eg compared to Hanro red)...

Changes needed for next week:
Williams at 15 and Adams at 11
Price to start and Simmonds in at 6 with Faletau at 8
Wholesale changes to the bench - let's hope Wyn Jones and Finn Russell are fit

And efefes can we play in their half and build some phases....?!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 pm Absolutely woeful game. Couldn’t believe how lacking in ideas the Lions were.
Youngsters watching that won’t be tempted to go down to their clubs and play the game. Give me Quins attitude any day.
Completely agree with this. If this is the pinnacle in terms of rugby...sheesh. Any youngster watching that would have turned over or disappeared back to their room to carry on playing FIFA. Horrendously frustrating game, so many stoppages, time wasting and bickering. Not a great advert for the game.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For me the longer the match went on the more important the first try became.Unfortunately for the Lions it went South Africa way and they grew from there on in.Believe now the springboks go into the decider as favorites , but all is not lost for the Lions.They must however carry more threat and not rely solely on solidity and dependability.The South African game plan will be more of the same and how we use the ball will be vital as will our capacity to cope with an aerial barrage .
Most disconcerting however was the fact that for the first time on this tour the Lions did not finish in the ascendancy against a South African representative side, this could however be down to the confidence that goes with a winning position rather than an equalization in levels of (match) fitness.
All to play for and hoping for the best.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Well I did say the Lions needed top do something different, played straight into their hands doing the same old, never going to win an arm wrestle. Still time to ring the changes, the weaknesses were obvious, as I said the back 3 are the wrong ones for the job and Smith has to start at 10 and play with pace.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/rugbyle ... hp&pc=U531
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Small margins for me, if Henshaw had grounded the ball and got the Lions in the lead the mindset of SA would have changed chasing the game, Kolbes tackle would have been a red in the prem, again SA down to 14 would have put the Lions in control, as for the SA tries they had there element of luck, kicks that could have not landed where they intended.

Think it will be a super tight 3rd test, as for changes, Williams for Hogg, Adams for Van De Merwe, keep the half back partnership as it is, they weren’t brilliant but the lions need experience, Lawes had a great 1st test but was targeted by SA but I think he will come back in the last test, I think Toby F and H Watson could will be in contention.

As for the bench, George has to come in for Owens, set piece fell to bits 2nd half, lose that and the game is gone.

I still think we look weak at centre, a fit Manu would have a made a difference and not taking Genge was big mistake from WG, he would have ripped it up!!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For the 1st time in my life I found my self not really caring if the Lions won or not, the game wasn't the best but the petty drama we've had to endure all week have really soured what was a slightly underwhelming tour to begin with.

As for the game the Lions obviously got selection wrong, that said I don't think the Springboks were that great, they've actually reminded me of 2018/19 France where they seem to drag other teams down to their level and then suffocate the life out of them. The officiating was fine on the whole but the inconsistency around what is a red/yellow is really frustrating, the Kolbe challenge on Murray would have been a red 9 times out of 10 in the Prem these days.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:45 am For the 1st time in my life I found my self not really caring if the Lions won or not, the game wasn't the best but the petty drama we've had to endure all week have really soured what was a slightly underwhelming tour to begin with.

As for the game the Lions obviously got selection wrong, that said I don't think the Springboks were that great, they've actually reminded me of 2018/19 France where they seem to drag other teams down to their level and then suffocate the life out of them. The officiating was fine on the whole but the inconsistency around what is a red/yellow is really frustrating, the Kolbe challenge on Myurray would have been a red 9 times out of 10 in the Prem these days.
Couldn’t believe that the ref was lenient on that because Murray was deemed as landing “on his back”!! Clearly audible on the ref mic!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

loretta wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 am [quote="kpj tiger" post_id=790067 time=<a href="tel:1627803904">1627803904</a> user_id=9447]
For the 1st time in my life I found my self not really caring if the Lions won or not, the game wasn't the best but the petty drama we've had to endure all week have really soured what was a slightly underwhelming tour to begin with.

As for the game the Lions obviously got selection wrong, that said I don't think the Springboks were that great, they've actually reminded me of 2018/19 France where they seem to drag other teams down to their level and then suffocate the life out of them. The officiating was fine on the whole but the inconsistency around what is a red/yellow is really frustrating, the Kolbe challenge on Myurray would have been a red 9 times out of 10 in the Prem these days.
Couldn’t believe that the ref was lenient on that because Murray was deemed as landing “on his back”!!
[/quote]

Face plant, he could have been seriously injured, as per the laws today Kolbe walks the plank simples, if the refs and TMO can’t get that right then the game really is in a pickle!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Problem? Gatland ball!

SA bring on three tanks and we try to arm wrestle them. Never pick a fight with a pig. You just get coveted in mud and after a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

A more mobile back row and a more inventive 9 and 10 might have done more... Or a least made the game intetesting. As it was, it was a yawn fest!

Murray never looks like sniping round the ruck so SA can rush ten and I've yet to see Farrell do much more than kick.

The back three either need replacing or a week on jankers doing catching practice.

Harrumph!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Still disagree,i understand duty of care in making sure your opponent lands OK but I honestly believe Kolbe didn't see him until the last millisecond. Some one made a crazy point yesterday about you've still got eyes and they see everything, something along those lines,but they don't!
You try it,look up on a fixed point while you're moving for a certain amount of time and then see if you can adjust immediately when something comes flying over you,its completely impossible. So why should a player be penalised for that?!
I understand the law but it needs changing or we should just stop competition in the air altogether. I'm glad the referee used common sense in giving a yellow,although he really gave the yellow for the landing not the incident but least it worked out well. I'm glad Murray wasn't hurt but that was a complete rugby accident and shouldn't be classed as foul play at any time. Let's hope there's time for this kind of situation to be readressed preseason. Still believe it was nothing like small margins ,ref calls aside it was a comfortable win for SA ,absolute second half domination. Especially at the set piece where The Lions were embarrassed at times.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It seems to me that its small margins this week with some because The Lions lost but last week it was a deserved Lions win even though there were more "small margins" in that game with the 2 chalked off trys and the Watson none yellow 🤪