Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by mol2 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm I'm not convinced Vunipola's scrummaging is a bad as everyone has made it out to be. The WC final was a bad game but that was one game a long time ago.
100% agree with this. Mako is a decent scrummager. He held his own last week when he came on, solid as a rock. In the WC Final 2019 it was Marx and the Beast targeting our own Dan Cole and Jamie George that destroyed the England scrum. For some reason he’s got the blame for it but he’s clearly a world class player. I’d start him as his work rate, tackle count, ball handling and carries are superb.
That overlooks the stability of the scum vastly improving when Marler came on.
If the loose head doesn’t occupy the opposition tight head, the hooker has to do more to compete with the tight head and the opposition hooker and loose head get to exert pressure on the tight head.
At the World Cup Macko was returning from injury, slow unfit and unable to do what was needed in the scrum. At his best he is a capable scrummager but not at the level of Genge or Marler.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:38 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm I'm not convinced Vunipola's scrummaging is a bad as everyone has made it out to be. The WC final was a bad game but that was one game a long time ago.
100% agree with this. Mako is a decent scrummager. He held his own last week when he came on, solid as a rock. In the WC Final 2019 it was Marx and the Beast targeting our own Dan Cole and Jamie George that destroyed the England scrum. For some reason he’s got the blame for it but he’s clearly a world class player. I’d start him as his work rate, tackle count, ball handling and carries are superb.
If the loose head doesn’t occupy the opposition tight head, the hooker has to do more to compete with the tight head and the opposition hooker and loose head get to exert pressure on the tight head.
At the World Cup Macko was returning from injury, slow unfit and unable to do what was needed in the scrum. At his best he is a capable scrummager but not at the level of Genge or Marler.
Explained perfectly! Mako is no threat at all so like you said they went after Cole
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

mightymouse wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm It was largely agreed that the poor performers were Biggar, Luke Cowan - Dickie and Daly
The former 2 keep there places and the other is on the bench still! The decisions are just peculiar.
I’ve not seen anyone but you assert that Biggar performed poorly.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:45 am

Explained perfectly! Mako is no threat at all so like you said they went after Cole
As you said though that’s one game. Not many props who can say they’ve nit been given a battering at some point, except Ayerza maybe !
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:34 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:45 am

As you said though that’s one game. Not many props who can say they’ve nit been given a battering at some point, except Ayerza maybe !
Ayerza was an incredible LH,a scrummaging machine. Could Corbisiero have got to that level? He was certainly on the way
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Martin Corry on how the Lions can win the second Test :

https://www.planetrugby.com/expert-witn ... cond-test/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Erasmus appears to have lost his cool…
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

But he’s only the water boy, right?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

loretta wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am But he’s only the water boy, right?
I hear Adam Sandler is interested in playing Erasmus in the sequel to Invictus :smt003.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Corbisiero and Ayerza were probably of a similar standard, however injuries denied the former of the career he might have had.

Ayerza just did the job time after time for Tigers and Argentina.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm not as excited about this test for some reason,feel a bit meh
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm I'm not as excited about this test for some reason,feel a bit meh
Events in the week have overshadowed this game IMO
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought ROG’s comments had merit speaking about the positivity and joy that players like Ruby Tui have (if anyone hasn’t seen her interview with the BBC, you should watch it!) which contrasts the negativity in the build up to today’s Lions test match.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Lions by 9. 32-23