Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

The Lions pack stood up well and the team earned a very good result.Away wins are hard to come by where ever and it was a great effort to claw back a half time deficit versus The Springboks in South Africa.
Thing is , as many have pointed out, it is not going to get any easier for the Lions.
Still , well done.Great character , resolve and performance.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:07 am The Lions pack stood up well and the team earned a very good result.Away wins are hard to come by where ever and it was a great effort to claw back a half time deficit versus The Springboks in South Africa.
Thing is , as many have pointed out, it is not going to get any easier for the Lions.
Still , well done.Great character , resolve and performance.
9,10,12,13 need looking at and possibly Williams in for Hogg. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:03 pm Did Kolbe receive a single pass from one of his teammates or did he just chase and jump for the high ball. What a waste of a talent.
Terrible game.
80 minutes of mostly kicking and knock ons.
Watching the 100 cricket was more interesting.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Good to see a win.
I agree Watson was lucky not to get Yellow
However I think boks were lucky on their try because I think he knocked it against his leg and then it went forward. The other disallowed try they are all crying about was a forward pass before we debate the offside from the kick.
I think Lions weakest forward was AWJ, however he has just had a month off with an injury so hardly surprising.. we aren’t going to get rid of him now, we have to live with it what ever we think of him .. he’s practically deified by now!

Not sure why Boks changed their front row at half time .. it changed the match.
Lawes and Otoje where without doubt the outstanding players for the Lions.
Lions poorest players where Biggar and Daly. Not surprised by Biggar because I have never rated him .. he stands so deep and slows the game down .. Price was almost searching for him at times he was so far back .. if Russell isn’t fit I’d play Smith .. they won’t obviously but that’s what I would do. Shame about Daly because in spite of not playing well for England I think he’s had a good tour until yesterday.. Harris should replace him. VDM and Hogg played well with the very little ball they got .. not sure what the obsession with Williams is? The other Watson was ok, but again with Biggar at flyhalf you can’t expect to see the back three at their best. Henshaw grew into the game.
Thought the Lions bench did exactly what was asked of them, power into a Boks after they had been worn out by the starters .. I thought Furlong had a tremendous game, for example, and Curry and Conan were sound without being spectacular.
Yes LC-D was not at his best but he should always have been the impact sub and The sheriff of Carmarthen should wear 2. Mako and Sinkler more than held thei own which was a nice surprise.. I would have like to have seen more of Beirne but to do that you would have had to have subbed AWJ and put Lawes at lock and that was never going to happen.
Let’s hope the selection are sensible next week and we seal the series
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think that the Boks changing their props completely changed the game. The Lions were struggling at scrum time in the first half and not getting any territory but this all changed after their second choice props came on.
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:43 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm I know South Africa are world champs but the reason for this is that - they fluked their way to the final having been beaten comfortably by New Zealand. Then a combination of Eddie Jones selectorial stubbornness and Sinckler getting KO’d early on gave them the World Cup.

The Lions should beat them, even if the squad has been weakened by EJ’s stubbornness meaning one or two English players missed out. Genge would have enjoyed himself.

This was demonstrated today. More of the same next week.
Very disrespectful imo,incredibly so!
+1
You don’t win World Cups by flukes, you might reach finals on such luck (France in 2011, England in ‘07) but not the trophy itself.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Pundit question of the day was from Greenwood to Warburton on raising above the horizontal.

I'm quite enjoying the Greenwood / Owens combination.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Greenwood talks too much in my opinion and there are times when he should let the picture tell the story
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 am Greenwood talks too much in my opinion and there are times when he should let the picture tell the story
Be good if you could just mute him because I like Sam Warburton. Imagine Will and Alex Sanderson on comms ,the amount of cliches used might blow a hole in the universe!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m not being negative by any means but I believe a repeat of the 2001 tour is a distinct possibility. But then again if Maro Itoje and Courtney Lawes are able to back up THAT performance, it will be the Boks facing their Everest.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:16 am I’m not being negative by any means but I believe a repeat of the 2001 tour is a distinct possibility. But then again if Maro Itoje and Courtney Lawes are able to back up THAT performance, it will be the Boks facing their Everest.
Didn’t we lose to Australia A there too and win the first test?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 am Greenwood talks too much in my opinion and there are times when he should let the picture tell the story
Be good if you could just mute him because I like Sam Warburton. Imagine Will and Alex Sanderson on comms ,the amount of cliches used might blow a hole in the universe!
Ah well..... One man's meat.... Etc.

Anything is better than a wittering Jiffy or a smug Buttler (Fo-fa-naaaaaaah)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

True ... we have to be thankful for small mercies
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:54 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 am
Ah well..... One man's meat.... Etc.

Anything is better than a wittering Jiffy or a smug Buttler (Fo-fa-naaaaaaah)
Oh yes, Eddie Butler’s exaggerated French pronunciations are a joke! Who was the Sky match commentator with the grating voice? Get well as soon as poss Miles Harrison!
Semper in excretia
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes like how he pronounced Benjamin Kaysuuuuer
A2O