Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Tigers86asw »

I think a new coach is a good idea. Preferably one who has been on a tour before. Townsend or Farrell would be my choice. Given his resources Townsend has done a very good job with Scotland and he has the experience of this tour and 97. Farrell’s pedigree as a coach is excellent. Both have international experience and are far more likely to embrace the ethos of the Lions. Jones- no thank you. Had enough of spikey, insecure nonsense for at least a decade. Left field choice would be O Gara but he would need to move into international rugby in the next 18 months or so. The best forwards coach I can think of is Borthwick but he may have his eye on the England job by 2023.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:48 pm I think a new coach is a good idea. Preferably one who has been on a tour before. Townsend or Farrell would be my choice. Given his resources Townsend has done a very good job with Scotland and he has the experience of this tour and 97. Farrell’s pedigree as a coach is excellent. Both have international experience and are far more likely to embrace the ethos of the Lions. Jones- no thank you. Had enough of spikey, insecure nonsense for at least a decade. Left field choice would be O Gara but he would need to move into international rugby in the next 18 months or so. The best forwards coach I can think of is Borthwick but he may have his eye on the England job by 2023.
Good post. But that last sentence is filth talk and should be banned!! Regardless if it Gospel…
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:10 am https://tinyl.io/4ZjT

The answer is NO.
Regardless of the series result, we need someone new at the helm after 3 series. My pick would be Townsend.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Joe Schmidt ticks all the boxes and would be an option.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:58 pm Joe Schmidt ticks all the boxes and would be an option.
He hasn’t coached since the World Cup though?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I have nothing against Gatland but The Lions have to move on - four tours would be a monumental achievement but it should not be the case.The problem(s) for The lions however is finding a coach good enough , available and who actually wants to do the job... not easy.
Now however is not the time to draw up a wish list , let the dust settle over the South African (mis)adventure....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/big-dean ... f-control/

What is this hit piece?
I guess it's job is to get clicks but ...

I suppose rugbypass isn't the place to go to for good articles so my fault.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree with Townsend but he has to be alongside a top forwards coach.
I am also concerned that he must have been overridden by Gatland on style because until Russell came on, in the third test, there was no way any of that was his plan. I would like to have seen him putting his foot down and being more influential in both selection and gameplan.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I have only "enjoyed" the highlights & they have been pretty poor viewing.
The warm up games onesided & the 4 important matches low on entertainment, partly due to the present laws but more the "vision" of the coaching supremes.
Gatland didn't help himself with some of his original selections or some odd ones on tour, but he wasn't helped by not having either North or Manu available to play 13 (whether they would of seen the ball is another matter.), pair either of those 2 with Henshaw & Harris or a younger fit Davies & maybe the ball might of been passed along the line.
Gatlands Lions pedigree is built on sand, a Beale slip away from losing in Oz to a poor Wallaby side & the Lions got the rub of the green in NZ with the officials, this time the Lions should of won by the pure lack of any meaningful preparation by SA, but squandered by a tactical approach that was doomed from the get go.
As for the coach in 4 years A.B.G.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

My Lions memories are of more of the midweek games on previous tours, having to front up against a fully loaded provincial side who’s job it was to “rough up” the Lions to dent their Test chances. This tour let’s face it was tosh. I don’t think many players enhanced their reputation....Itoje, Henshaw maybe. Curry started well but fell away. Lawes was pretty decent and Conan changed my opinion of him. Aside from that it really wasn’t great and the Dagenham Girl Pipers could have run in the VDM and Adams tries in the warm up games. Quite simply, Gatland has to let someone else have a go. It’s become about winning at all costs rather than playing with a bit of freedom and not being worried about the result. I don’t care who takes the job, just no more of that tripe please.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

surely they will make an eg of him but to strip them of their win???????
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... -breaking/
Hehehehehehehehe
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Apparently some Lions nicknames from the South African tour :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-21344376
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wasn't sure where to put this but here's some Finn Russell
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/five-min ... in-attack/
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... y-21400272
Mark Ring was a legend in Wales, a real maverick 10.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Interesting piece on potential global SA teams
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/south-af ... op-14-xvs/
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer