Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also got to say Adams is unlucky to miss out not sure how DVDM has been selected ahead of him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Bold from Gatland. Price over Murray arguably the biggest. Gatland has picked a very attacking team.
Daly playing at 13 outside a proper number 12 will show EJ how poorly he’s been managed for England. Great for Conan- has been outstanding for nearly 2 years. Lawes needs a huge game at 6.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Good or bad news is
Wiese and Van Staden are being kept by Rassie.
The players cut from the Bok set-up are Sharks trio Yaw Penxe, Sanele Nohamba and Fez Mbatha, Cheetahs wing Rosko Specman, Lions centre Wandisile Simelane, Bulls prop Lizo Gqoboka and Stormers hooker Scarra Ntubeni, alongside Sale Sharks trio Dan and Jean-Luc du Preez and Coenie Oosthuizen.

Good news in that both seem to be really rated.
Bad News in that Wiese and Van Staden in place to be retained for the Rugby championships.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:56 pm Bold from Gatland. Price over Murray arguably the biggest. Gatland has picked a very attacking team.
Daly playing at 13 outside a proper number 12 will show EJ how poorly he’s been managed for England. Great for Conan- has been outstanding for nearly 2 years. Lawes needs a huge game at 6.
Lawes will be OK,no doubt. Consistently performs at the top level week in week out. It gets banded about a lot but he's genuine world class.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:12 pm Good or bad news is
Wiese and Van Staden are being kept by Rassie.
The players cut from the Bok set-up are Sharks trio Yaw Penxe, Sanele Nohamba and Fez Mbatha, Cheetahs wing Rosko Specman, Lions centre Wandisile Simelane, Bulls prop Lizo Gqoboka and Stormers hooker Scarra Ntubeni, alongside Sale Sharks trio Dan and Jean-Luc du Preez and Coenie Oosthuizen.

Good news in that both seem to be really rated.
Bad News in that Wiese and Van Staden in place to be retained for the Rugby championships.
We already knew we were gonna lose MVS tbf ,Weise was the one we wasn’t sure about. Still big losses though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:03 pm Also got to say Adams is unlucky to miss out not sure how DVDM has been selected ahead of him.
That’s a poor call for me if it turns out,SA will be happier.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:56 pm Bold from Gatland. Price over Murray arguably the biggest. Gatland has picked a very attacking team.
Lawes will be OK,no doubt. Consistently performs at the top level week in week out. It gets banded about a lot but he's genuine world class.
Agree Scott, he is an outstanding player. His battle against PSDT will be crucial.

I think Duhan Van De Merve is being picked due to Daly being at 13. They want another physical presence in the back line, otherwise they only have Henshaw who can get them over the gainline.
I agree Adam’s is unlucky but that must be their thinking.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm
Agree Scott, he is an outstanding player. His battle against PSDT will be crucial.

I think Duhan Van De Merve is being picked due to Daly being at 13. They want another physical presence in the back line, otherwise they only have Henshaw who can get them over the gainline.
I agree Adam’s is unlucky but that must be their thinking.
Great point!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Should this leaked Lions side be proved correct - and we wont have to wait long now , nor is there any real reason to dispute its validity - Warren Gatland can hardly be accused of a Welsh bias.
Very arguably , a side picked on tour form.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If it is the correct team then hes got the setup spot on with AWJ/Itoje/Lawes in a 6/2 split with Henderson and another BR on the bench like i called earlier. It was the right way to go.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 am If it is the correct team then hes got the setup spot on with AWJ/Itoje/Lawes in a 6/2 split with Henderson and another BR on the bench like i called earlier. It was the right way to go.
With Bernie and Henderson on the bench plus Lawes starting he's given himself cover if AWJ needs to come of early that's for sure.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Surprised Harris didn’t get in
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Hope there’s no scrums in the last 20 mins if Sinklers coming off the bench!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Williams instead of Henderson on the bench is the only change... so 5-3 not 6-2

Wonder if Gatland swapped it to just prove the leak wasn't 100%, if so poor Henderson
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 am If it is the correct team then hes got the setup spot on with AWJ/Itoje/Lawes in a 6/2 split with Henderson and another BR on the bench like i called earlier. It was the right way to go.
It is as leaked, I don't agree with Hogg he hasn't done enough this tour for me and if they are picking on tour form why isn't Hamish Watson starting?
Also feel a bit sorry for Chris Harris, Henshaw hasn't done much, agreed due to injury but still not on tour form, I don't want Daly in there either, but he has had good tour form
God created rugby so footballers have heros too