Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Big Dai »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:36 pm Yes like how he pronounced Benjamin Kaysuuuuer
Ohhhhhh yes.... I forgot that one!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:02 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:43 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm I know South Africa are world champs but the reason for this is that - they fluked their way to the final having been beaten comfortably by New Zealand. Then a combination of Eddie Jones selectorial stubbornness and Sinckler getting KO’d early on gave them the World Cup.

The Lions should beat them, even if the squad has been weakened by EJ’s stubbornness meaning one or two English players missed out. Genge would have enjoyed himself.

This was demonstrated today. More of the same next week.
Very disrespectful imo,incredibly so!
+1
You don’t win World Cups by flukes, you might reach finals on such luck (France in 2011, England in ‘07) but not the trophy itself.
That doesn’t make any sense - France were the better team in ‘11 final and were a dodgy pen call away from winning the thing. The truth of the matter is that its fine margins in International knock-out rugby and there’s normally a few teams that could beat each other - just depends what happens on the day.

South Africa play a style a game that is suited to high pressure knock-out rugby so no surprise they’ve won it 3 times.
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 am I think that the Boks changing their props completely changed the game. The Lions were struggling at scrum time in the first half and not getting any territory but this all changed after their second choice props came on.
According to the commentary team, the bench props are their first choice - SA want to dominate a tiring first choice/2nd choice replacements so put their first choice front row on at half time. From memory, I think they did the same thing in theWC final too.

Having said that, I agree the scrum looked stronger first half (in both games)...
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 am 9,10,12,13 need looking at and possibly Williams in for Hogg. Thoughts?
9: I thought Price did well and Murray played better off the bench than in his previous tour games when starting. Keep same for 2nd test.
10: If Biggar is ruled out for HIA then I expect Farrell to start but he still looks rusty to me. Russell at 10 with Farrell at 12 a better option.
12/13: agree Daly "experiment" did not work so Harris to come in alongside Henshaw if Biggar starts.
15: Hogg has not had a good tour for me & was lucky to get the nod ahead of Williams - put Williams in and have one of the Welsh fliers on the bench for impact.

In the pack I would bring Faletau into the 23 for either of the bench guys and swap the hookers over, otherwise same again. Oh, except Wyn Jones back in but keep Mako on the bench.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JayC2 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:45 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 am I think that the Boks changing their props completely changed the game. The Lions were struggling at scrum time in the first half and not getting any territory but this all changed after their second choice props came on.
According to the commentary team, the bench props are their first choice - SA want to dominate a tiring first choice/2nd choice replacements so put their first choice front row on at half time. From memory, I think they did the same thing in theWC final too.

Having said that, I agree the scrum looked stronger first half (in both games)...
Yeah they were "supposedly" doing what Italy and London Irish have been doing, saving their first choice props for later in the game, but to me it just looked like their first choice props were short of fitness
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Yeah they were "supposedly" doing what Italy and London Irish have been doing, saving their first choice props for later in the game, but to me it just looked like their first choice props were short of fitness
Surely trying to get the conditioning right for the front five without test match rugby for 18 months is incredibly hard. Especially with covid. Their best front row came off the bench but Malherba didn’t look fit at all to me.

SA are not fit and, any team, that makes it tough. Especially against a team under an experienced coach like Gatland. They could come back and win but SA have an uphill task.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:49 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Surely trying to get the conditioning right for the front five without test match rugby for 18 months is incredibly hard. Especially with covid. Their best front row came off the bench but Malherba didn’t look fit at all to me.

SA are not fit and, any team, that makes it tough. Especially against a team under an experienced coach like Gatland. They could come back and win but SA have an uphill task.
Yes,there's fit and there's match fit and SA are clearly not there. Good job really because The Lions are and they still struggled at times!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rassie seemingly caught using a burner account on twitter! :smt043

https://twitter.com/SquidgeRugby/status ... 5316515848
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is Rassie allowed to keep running on the pitch and coaching too? Thought that wasn't allowed once you got passed junior rugby 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 am Is Rassie allowed to keep running on the pitch and coaching too? Thought that wasn't allowed once you got passed junior rugby 😂
There is a genuine argument to say what Rassie (and Nienaber before him) do is technically against the rules
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

WalesOnline selects a Lions side for the Second Test :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-21140057
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lions players reportedly out of contract in 2022 :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/every-lion-who-i ... ld-end-up/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:57 am WalesOnline selects a Lions side for the Second Test :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-21140057
Can’t really fault any of their suggestions! I’d probably start George and put LCD on the bench. Bring Faletau on the bench too cos Watson I feel is less effective against a big pack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn't change the starting pack injuries permitting. 9,10,12,13 and 15 will be looked at. All depends on Biggars fitness but I definitely see Daly and Hogg missing out and those two fighting it out for the 23 shirt.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If everyone's fit, there's an argument going with the same ones, but I thought our back three were off the pace, I'd change 11, 14 and 15. If Biggar is not fit, I'd leave Farrell on the bench and choose Smith and step up the pace of the game, run those unfit Boks around in the first half
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.