Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by JP14 »

Fairly enjoyable game, great to have the Japanese playing again as well. Had they played a few more games recently, the Lions would have been in for a real scare me reckons.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Confirmed that Alun Wyn dislocated his shoulder, a new player will be brought into the squad but a scan will be done to see if Alun Wyn could still play a part at the end of the tour
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:43 pm Confirmed that Alun Wyn dislocated his shoulder, a new player will be brought into the squad but a scan will be done to see if Alun Wyn could still play a part at the end of the tour
James Ryan?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:45 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:43 pm Confirmed that Alun Wyn dislocated his shoulder, a new player will be brought into the squad but a scan will be done to see if Alun Wyn could still play a part at the end of the tour
James Ryan?
No names yet but you'd imagine it'd be Ryan or Gray
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Farrell or Owens as Captain?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

soggytiger wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:56 pm Farrell or Owens as Captain?
Owens for me if AWJ doesn't make the tests. Biggar and Farrell looked meh,lost all balance when he came on.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

After the news of Farrell getting the most votes to be part of the leadership group from the players you'd imagine it would be him
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

After 20 minutes or so, I got bored and switched off, and if Farrell becomes captain, I'll have lost all interest in this tour.

It'll mean he'll either play 10 instead of Russell or Biggar or centre instead of Akhi or whoever.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AWJ isn’t travelling,apparently ruled out completely
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 pm AWJ isn’t travelling,apparently ruled out completely
From BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57623557

Captain Alun Wyn Jones will not travel to South Africa with the British and Irish Lions after dislocating his shoulder during Saturday's warm-up game against Japan.

Warren Gatland's side leave on Sunday and Jones will return to Wales, with a replacement yet to be decided.

Gatland said the "very best case scenario" was that the four-time Lion would be fit for the first Test against the Springboks on 24 July.

"He's going to be gutted," he added.

"I've spoken to the physios, they've spoken to Alun Wyn, he understands the very best scenario is he may get back for the Tests.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The captain needs to be an undisputed Test player, and although Ken Owens has my admiration, Cowan-Dickie and George must be ahead of him in the pecking order.
I'd go with Itoje, even though he's no recent history of captaincy - rather like Martin Johnson in 1997.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 pm AWJ isn’t travelling,apparently ruled out completely
From BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57623557

Captain Alun Wyn Jones will not travel to South Africa with the British and Irish Lions after dislocating his shoulder during Saturday's warm-up game against Japan.

Warren Gatland's side leave on Sunday and Jones will return to Wales, with a replacement yet to be decided.

Gatland said the "very best case scenario" was that the four-time Lion would be fit for the first Test against the Springboks on 24 July.

"He's going to be gutted," he added.

"I've spoken to the physios, they've spoken to Alun Wyn, he understands the very best scenario is he may get back for the Tests.
Even if he does get back, that shoulder will be targeted by the very physical Boks and then he'll find himself in the same situation.
Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,move on altogether. It wouldn't be fair to form a second row partnership and he just comes straight back in for the tests. I don't believe that he's that good a player to demand a starting spot on return
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:36 pm Yes,move on altogether. It wouldn't be fair to form a second row partnership and he just comes straight back in for the tests. I don't believe that he's that good a player to demand a starting spot on return
I actually agree with most of this, and especially knowing the Boks will target his shoulder anyways. Not a risk I would take.

Hogg has got a shout but it’s got to be someone in camp already, might be wishful thinking but to me that Farrell stuff sounded a bit like exaggerated PR from Gats to defend his inclusion in the squad. Itoje or Owens (who I wanted to be midweek captain anyway).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:36 pm Yes,move on altogether. It wouldn't be fair to form a second row partnership and he just comes straight back in for the tests. I don't believe that he's that good a player to demand a starting spot on return
I actually agree with most of this, and especially knowing the Boks will target his shoulder anyways. Not a risk I would take.

Hogg has got a shout but it’s got to be someone in camp already, might be wishful thinking but to me that Farrell stuff sounded a bit like exaggerated PR from Gats to defend his inclusion in the squad. Itoje or Owens (who I wanted to be midweek captain anyway).
I don’t think Biggar/Farrell works mate. And for me at present Biggar is test 10 so it can’t be Farrell who gets the armband. Faletau maybe?