Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by trendylfj »

You can't put the ball in straight when you facing the scrum at such an angle that you are facing your own 2nd row but hey, if the ref lets you do it you get on with it, right or wrong. I did not see the hooker strike once for the ball and the SA pack never drove over the ball so it had to be put into the 2nd row.

I didn't pick it up at the time but when Maco was held up we were actually playing again 16 SAs - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... x-21255942 - worth looking at her actions organising the defence. Tell the players where to go and what to do - but again, she got away with it. Not very impressed with the officials but you have to play with what you have got and how they say they are doing things and hope that they are consistent.

On the whole a tour without the passion I have experienced on the last 2 NZ tours for all the reasons given earlier and done purely for the money, sponsors and TV but I hope to be in Australia for the next one.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:41 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 pm

In 2009, the Lions picked a squad to try and match South Africa at their own game, although I would argue it was more ROG’s stupidity that cost us the series rather than a failure to match the Boks physically. What frustrated me is that Gatland picked a mobile squad but then proceeded to fail to implement a mobile game, Russell seemed to be the only one willing to switch it up at times today.

To be honest, both ‘09 and this tour a dominant Springboks scrum was a telling factor but this series will only be remembered for the wrong reasons I’m afraid.

Nonetheless, geluk Wiese and van Staden, can’t wait to have you guys back in Leicester for a well deserved rest.
Well if both are picked for SA in the champ
That doesn't end till 2nd October and then the AI's start November 6th till November 20th.

So with a rest when might we see them?
Potentially 2 weeks quarantine on top of it.
Might be a long while, but that is assuming they’re kept for the Autumn Internationals so who knows. Don’t really care how long the wait will be as Wiese particularly needs a long break and I don’t want him to have a fatigue-related injury.
Rassie said they went with some of the European options because they'd played more games. He might now freshen the squad up with some of the SA based players. There's a couple of young and big 8s that could come in an play understudy to the recovered Duane Vermeulen. Roos of the Sharks and the Bulls Elrigh Louw are apparently highly rated over in SA.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In terms of rugby, in terms of spectacle the longer this tour went on the more I wanted it to end.Just too much missing though tradition dictates that I'll always take an interest.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Slightly more rugby played in the final game, but it compared poorly with the Bledisloe cup game played earlier in the day in terms of an advert for Rugby Union.
I just don't understand why we were mostly following a game plan revolving around a forwards arm-wrestle, which frankly is a Boks strength?
And more than once or twice, (admittedly through a Tigers lens) I did wonder what our Baby Rhino might have achieved?
I think I was pleased that our SA boys got some game time and have escaped injury. I look forward to seeing them playing together at Welford Rd.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Struggled to get into this tour. The selections seemed replicate England’s errors in the 6N with too many picks from Sarries among the England contingent and a very predictable game plan of Warrenball without the key players to make it work particularly in the centres.

Let’s hope the next Lions comes with a fresh head coach, although Warrenball might be the most effective style against Australia but less effective against sides who can match the physicality.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:26 am https://www.instagram.com/p/CSTjOYyD_kB ... =copy_link

Wiese cruncher on Liam Williams
Liam knocked it on too but the ref gave a penalty against Weise because he thought he stole it without releasing. Just one of some very strange breakdown calls in the game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

If I did not watch anymore rugby like played on this tour then I do not think I would miss it.
Tired all round!
Those concerned make this drab rugby out to be the difference between winning and losing at test match level but it runs much deeper for me and world rugby desperately need to take control of the unruly mess at the breakdown and defensive offsides or the game will have a very difficult future.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Like others glad this series had ended and doesn’t feel anywhere near as cutting as England’s loss in the World Cup final. I hope the next World Cup isn’t won by a team playing like that.

Thankfully Russell came on and played some rugby in the final test.

I watched all the tests and have some great Lions memories but overall I’m in the Lions should be abolished for the good of the game camp.

With all the private equity coming into rugby does make you wonder if it will survive.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:08 pm If I did not watch anymore rugby like played on this tour then I do not think I would miss it.
Tired all round!
Those concerned make this drab rugby out to be the difference between winning and losing at test match level but it runs much deeper for me and world rugby desperately need to take control of the unruly mess at the breakdown and defensive offsides or the game will have a very difficult future.
Bravo. Agree 100%
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Was it really worth it? I'm sure the players and officials were well paid and I guess that Sky managed to wrap enough advertising around the coverage but tbh it was a pretty joyless experience watching it. The Boks first try in the 2nd Test and Russell's transformative effect on Lions' play in the 3rd were highlights but for the most part the play was dull, grinding and mechanical. And what is it all for? South Africa - as their wonderful anthem always reminds us - were playing for their nation (albeit divided nation) but what are the Lions playing for? A brand? A franchise? That for me was the difference perhaps when it came to the crunch, South Africa wanted it just that little bit more. Final personal thought, did I want the Lions to win, well yes despite being a Lion's sceptic of course I did. However when they lost the series I can't say that I felt the same pain as when England or Leicester lose and it did help that the only two Leicester players on the field were playing for the other side!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

One thing I would say, whatever we say about the appalling dirge the Lions were forced to play by this coach, WG ( hopefully he will Not be allowed to sully another tour!), and that is this … The players do not see it as a money making brand. they see it is a magnificent unique team entity and an opportunity of a lifetime. An experience they cherish almost higher than any other.
I have to say, and I have toured twice as a supporter, I agree!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:31 pm One thing I would say, whatever we say about the appalling dirge the Lions were forced to play by this coach, WG ( hopefully he will Not be allowed to sully another tour!), and that is this … The players do not see it as a money making brand. they see it is a magnificent unique team entity and an opportunity of a lifetime. An experience they cherish almost higher than any other.
I have to say, and I have toured twice as a supporter, I agree!
Yes,you could see it in AWJ tears, that was an emotional moment. Lions tests are second only to RWC finals for me,it's the pinnacle for a home nations player. I just hope everything is back to normal in 4 years!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Weise and MVS both included in SA 42 man RC squad