Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Tigers86asw »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm SA also very carefully and skilfully controlled the clock so that the Lions' superior fitness was no longer a factor. The first half taking over an hour, breaks for Rassie to bring water on...
Completely agree with this the gamesmanship about the clock was very stark. Get on with the game!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:45 pm Don’t understand the thought process of taking the Boks on in a massive arm wrestle. There was no variety in the point of attack- just bang it up the middle or put the ball up in the air. We are meant to be fitter but there was no attempt to go wide and run them around.
It would be a huge call to play Smith next week but we clearly need a different threat. I’d also bring in Williams and Adams to combat the aerial threat, Price, Wyn Jones if fit and maybe George and Faletau.
If we play more expansively, Daly is the best we have at 13. Of the injured players, we are so missing George North.
Agree bar the bit on Daly. Am had him in his pocket in the first test and snuffed out his one dabble ball in hand in the second. Am has been sensational for SA in both games. Daly isn't going to trouble him. Harris is probably the option to go with but there has to be some sort of attacking game run because at the minute that tactics are exactly the plan A or plan A that SA have.

Definitely roll the dice next weekend. Those that have played so far have offered little.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gatland might go Biggar,Farrell,Henshaw for test 3
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm SA also very carefully and skilfully controlled the clock so that the Lions' superior fitness was no longer a factor. The first half taking over an hour, breaks for Rassie to bring water on...
I don't have a problem with this, the Lions would do the same. I do have a problem with Erasmus being a 'waterboy' though. I'm amazed World Rugby have allowed this. It's gaining a clear advantage and he's in the eyeline of the officials. How no-one has intervened here amazes me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:06 pm
I don't have a problem with this, the Lions would do the same. I do have a problem with Erasmus being a 'waterboy' though. I'm amazed World Rugby have allowed this. It's gaining a clear advantage and he's in the eyeline of the officials. How no-one has intervened here amazes me.
You can’t do that passed junior rugby,it’s a joke! How does he get away with it?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I think I'd like to see a bit more expansive play and ball in hand (next time the ABs in town or maybe that's a game called sevens... :smt003 ).
The other issue - which validates having Nigel Owens in commentary - is how critical officiating decisions are becoming in determining the outcome of games, particularly when there is no big difference in quality of the players involved. My Saints mate and I often discuss whether rugby simply needs more referees similar to the NFL. Maybe rule changes needed also?
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:07 pm
You can’t do that passed junior rugby,it’s a joke! How does he get away with it?!
It's unbelievable isn't it? It's extraordinary that he's getting away with it week in, week out. That's why I found his video so unbelievably hypocritical. He's getting away with it every week and has the nerve to claim the Boks are hard done by? Still, if he's allowed to keep on cheating without recourse then he's going to keep doing it isn't he? I'm surprised Gatland hasn't called him out properly on it.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:14 pm I think I'd like to see a bit more expansive play and ball in hand (next time the ABs in town or maybe that's called sevens...).
The other issue - which validates having Nigel Owens in commentary - is how critical officiating decisions are becoming in determining the outcome of games, particularly when there is no big difference in quality of the players involved. My Saints mate and I often discuss whether rugby simply needs more referees similar to the NFL. Maybe rule changes needed also?
More referees, like American Football, would mean more stoppages as the refs would pick up more and more little things, such as knock ons, more offsides etc. Today we had so many TMO reviews they took ages and ages, adding to the boredom and lack of continuity, with some debatable decisions, like red/yellow card, and control of the ball when scoring. I think todays reviews may have taken extra time as they tried to ensure Rassie had nothing to complain about.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:14 pm I think I'd like to see a bit more expansive play and ball in hand (next time the ABs in town or maybe that's called sevens...).
More referees, like American Football, would mean more stoppages as the refs would pick up more and more little things, such as knock ons, more offsides etc. Today we had so many TMO reviews they took ages and ages, adding to the boredom and lack of continuity, with some debatable decisions, like red/yellow card, and control of the ball when scoring. I think todays reviews may have taken extra time as they tried to ensure Rassie had nothing to complain about.
Which is just wrong in itself isn't it? He should have been shut down right after match. There aren't too many areas in which football can take the high ground but if a Premier League manager were to act as Erasmus has he'd cop a huge fine and a lengthy touchline ban, possibly a stadium ban. RE has got away with it scot free
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

What a poor game from both sides yet again.
It's the Warren and Rassie ego show.
This Lions side is too predictable.
Genge, Ritchie and Underhill should be amongst it up front.
Care should be there, ideal player against a side like South Africa with players such as Adams, Rees-Zammit and Watson in your squad.
Possibly also Ford and Slade on the evidence so far.
The Lions just can't get on the outside edges enough and the best chance is the threat of grubbers for pace in behind to mix up the South African defence.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps revert to Aki & Henshaw in the midfield.

Boks face a selection dilemma, Mostert isn’t a natural blindside which is something the Lions could exploit.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Absolutely woeful game. Couldn’t believe how lacking in ideas the Lions were.
Youngsters watching that won’t be tempted to go down to their clubs and play the game. Give me Quins attitude any day.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

more a blindside than Lawes
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 pm Perhaps revert to Aki & Henshaw in the midfield.

Boks face a selection dilemma, Mostert isn’t a natural blindside which is something the Lions could exploit.
Not really,when the 3 locks were playing that’s when they were at their best.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

With the Kolbe incident - he came on and told Kolisi what he should say to the ref