Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:23 pm

I disagree. There were v small margins in that game and coupled with more calls going the Lions way and one or two different key player selections there is every reason the Lions can win.
Small margins? It was absolutely dominant once SA had the 3 locks on,in the lineout,scrum and maul. SA were dominant at the breakdown too,the second half wasn't even close,it was a comprehensive second half performance that SA easily won
Yes small margins for the majority of the game. About 20 mins of dominance.
De Jager came on at 55 and SA were already in control by then. It was a dominant second half bar about 10 minutes,and that's being very generous to The Lions.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm

Small margins? It was absolutely dominant once SA had the 3 locks on,in the lineout,scrum and maul. SA were dominant at the breakdown too,the second half wasn't even close,it was a comprehensive second half performance that SA easily won
Lions made it into SA 22 once in the 2nd half I think.

It was a 40min destruction and unfortunately the Lions got nothing positive from it. They were thumped.

Still wouldn’t put it past them to win the 3rd test but SA have to be clear favourites going into it
Thank you! Very one sided
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Some of the rugby being played so far in these tests does not make for great viewing. TBH my main concern is that our Tigers return uninjured... :smt002
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thought MVS was excellent,what a player we have there. Thought Weise got better as the game went on too,shame he was hooked.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm

It was a 40min destruction and unfortunately the Lions got nothing positive from it. They were thumped.

Still wouldn’t put it past them to win the 3rd test but SA have to be clear favourites going into it
Scott1 we must have been watching v different games. I could have sworn the Lions were ahead at half time :smt044
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

One of the most boring games I’ve watched in a long time. Whatever the score in the final match, this series is one to forget. A dreadful advert for rugby. I’d imagine any private equity money invested in rugby will be cacking itself if that is what the future of rugby looks like. It was slow, tedious, attritional. The ball spent more time in the air than in hand.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Scott1 we must have been watching v different games. I could have sworn the Lions were ahead at half time :smt044
Hahaha,I thought the Lions had the edge at HT. They looked the better team and SA looked like they were blowing. But then……
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Don’t understand the thought process of taking the Boks on in a massive arm wrestle. There was no variety in the point of attack- just bang it up the middle or put the ball up in the air. We are meant to be fitter but there was no attempt to go wide and run them around.
It would be a huge call to play Smith next week but we clearly need a different threat. I’d also bring in Williams and Adams to combat the aerial threat, Price, Wyn Jones if fit and maybe George and Faletau.
If we play more expansively, Daly is the best we have at 13. Of the injured players, we are so missing George North.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:45 pm Don’t understand the thought process of taking the Boks on in a massive arm wrestle. There was no variety in the point of attack- just bang it up the middle or put the ball up in the air. We are meant to be fitter but there was no attempt to go wide and run them around.
It would be a huge call to play Smith next week but we clearly need a different threat. I’d also bring in Williams and Adams to combat the aerial threat, Price, Wyn Jones if fit and maybe George and Faletau.
If we play more expansively, Daly is the best we have at 13. Of the injured players, we are so missing George North.
And Manu
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:46 pm
Dokie wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:45 pm Don’t understand the thought process of taking the Boks on in a massive arm wrestle. There was no variety in the point of attack- just bang it up the middle or put the ball up in the air. We are meant to be fitter but there was no attempt to go wide and run them around.
And Manu
Agree
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:43 pm One of the most boring games I’ve watched in a long time. Whatever the score in the final match, this series is one to forget. A dreadful advert for rugby. I’d imagine any private equity money invested in rugby will be cacking itself if that is what the future of rugby looks like. It was slow, tedious, attritional. The ball spent more time in the air than in hand.
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 pm Some of the rugby being played so far in these tests does not make for great viewing. TBH my main concern is that our Tigers return uninjured... :smt002
Totally agree. I understand completely that Lions tests are tight and rarely free-flowing but it was pretty dire as a spectacle. It seems top end test rugby is more about what mistakes players make rather than moments of magic (the cross kick from Pollard being the single exception in this game). Much prefer watching Premiership rugby, personally - backs sometimes get to run with the ball.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Dokie - Yes.
We adjusted well to a poor first half in test one, and SA did the same today. I think both sides are pretty evenly balanced, particularly when we try to play them at a similar type of game. I think the final test could go either way.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:52 pm ...Much prefer watching Premiership rugby, personally - backs sometimes get to run with the ball...
:smt045
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

SA also very carefully and skilfully controlled the clock so that the Lions' superior fitness was no longer a factor. The first half taking over an hour, breaks for Rassie to bring water on...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm SA also very carefully and skilfully controlled the clock so that the Lions' superior fitness was no longer a factor.
That’s new one on me 😂
Is that like in the first test when Owen Farrell was taking 90 seconds for kicks?