Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

Regardless of the calls,which were right,it was still a completely dominant win. Wasn’t even close. A tactical masterclass by Rassie with his bench and subs.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Van Staden looks class!

Great performance from SA but pretty poor from the Lions. Should be a great final test. Good luck to whomever is reffing it!

Poor game in many respects but SA ground it out. The Lions need a back 3 that can actually deal with the constant high balls.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

We have some great game changers, Adams, Williams, Simmonds, Watson, Smith. all have one thing in common...... I cannot see Daly playing next week. The rest must step up. Well played South Africa
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Poor display by Lions, and not a lot of rugby played overall. I was inclined to agree with Nigel Owens on the 2nd SA try.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don’t see what the Lions can do next week other than hoping SA are off their game. The gulf is too wide in the scrum,line out,maul and breakdown judging by today
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:20 pm I don’t see what the Lions can do next week other than hoping SA are off their game. The gulf is too wide in the scrum,line out,maul and breakdown judging by today
I disagree. There were v small margins in the majority of that game and coupled with more calls going the Lions way and one or two different key player selections there is every reason the Lions can win.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:23 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:20 pm I don’t see what the Lions can do next week other than hoping SA are off their game. The gulf is too wide in the scrum,line out,maul and breakdown judging by today
I disagree. There were v small margins in that game and coupled with more calls going the Lions way and one or two different key player selections there is every reason the Lions can win.
Small margins? It was absolutely dominant once SA had the 3 locks on,in the lineout,scrum and maul. SA were dominant at the breakdown too,the second half wasn't even close,it was a comprehensive second half performance that SA easily won
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Very poor today by Lions, exposed in most positions especially in the back 3, cant see how they can turn this around next week, going to need a miracle, lets just keep hoping for one, going to have to make some changes but who is better? Going to need some bold decisions as to who comes in.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:27 pm Very poor today by Lions, exposed in most positions especially in the back 3, cant see how they can turn this around next week, going to need a miracle, lets just keep hoping for one, going to have to make some changes but who is better? Going to need some bold decisions as to who comes in.
What do you do?! Go 6/2 maybe?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

If you cannot catch and are not excellent in the set piece then you will get hammered. Hogg, Van de Merve, Sutherland and Owens were very very poor.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:31 pm If you cannot catch and are not excellent in the set piece then you will get hammered. Hogg, Van de Merve, Sutherland and Owens were very very poor.
Sutherland was dreadful!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I disagree. There were v small margins in the majority of that game and coupled with more calls going the Lions way and one or two different key player selections there is every reason the Lions can win.
Agreed. The Lions lost control through some poor decision-making and some poor substitutions. There were a couple of occasions when the Lions passed up a kick at goal in favour of a scrum or line-out when the 3 points was arguably the better option. Not building the score meant they ended up chasing the game when SA scored. The back 3 have to be better under the high ball and van der Merwe can't be doing stupid things like tripping people up right in front of the officials.

That said, this Bok side will take some stopping.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm
I disagree. There were v small margins in that game and coupled with more calls going the Lions way and one or two different key player selections there is every reason the Lions can win.
Small margins? It was absolutely dominant once SA had the 3 locks on,in the lineout,scrum and maul. SA were dominant at the breakdown too,the second half wasn't even close,it was a comprehensive second half performance that SA easily won
Yes small margins for the majority of the game. About 20 mins of dominance.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:31 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:27 pm Very poor today by Lions, exposed in most positions especially in the back 3, cant see how they can turn this around next week, going to need a miracle, lets just keep hoping for one, going to have to make some changes but who is better? Going to need some bold decisions as to who comes in.
What do you do?! Go 6/2 maybe?
Call Ellis Genge would be my call but that won’t happen. Definitely 6/2 split. Williams, Adams, Wyn Jones, George, Beard (for the lineout) and Aki would come into the 23. I think the bigger problem was the bench and aside from that maybe 3/4 changes.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm

Yes small margins for the majority of the game. About 20 mins of dominance.
Lions made it into SA 22 once in the 2nd half I think.

It was a 40min destruction and unfortunately the Lions got nothing positive from it. They were thumped.

Still wouldn’t put it past them to win the 3rd test but SA have to be clear favourites going into it