Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Jacko27 »

I'm sure AWJ's tears were genuine ( he's a passionate man perhaps playing his finale) and maybe professional Northern Hemisphere rugby players do still think of Lions' selection as the "pinnacle" but when I look at the 15 names who started the 3rd Test on Saturday, my gut feeling is that it was no stronger or more likely to beat S.A. than an (on song) England XV or Wales XV or, for that matter, France XV. And any of those three teams would - if they needed it - have an anthem to spur them on.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have a confession to make,I've been bit by the 100 bug πŸ˜‚πŸ
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:47 pm Have a confession to make,I've been bit by the 100 bug πŸ˜‚πŸ
supporting SA against the Lions was one thing but this is an insult we cannot ignore ...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Jacko27 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:08 pm I'm sure AWJ's tears were genuine ( he's a passionate man perhaps playing his finale) and maybe professional Northern Hemisphere rugby players do still think of Lions' selection as the "pinnacle" but when I look at the 15 names who started the 3rd Test on Saturday, my gut feeling is that it was no stronger or more likely to beat S.A. than an (on song) England XV or Wales XV or, for that matter, France XV. And any of those three teams would - if they needed it - have an anthem to spur them on.
I think this just says more about the state of British and Irish rugby than the importance of the Lions.

It was always going to be a challenge for any Lions team with a short tour and the added covid situation. Let alone when NH rugby is at a low point in its cycle.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:47 pm Have a confession to make,I've been bit by the 100 bug πŸ˜‚πŸ
I got myself vaccinated against that in case it happened :smt002 :smt002 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:41 pm
I got myself vaccinated against that in case it happened :smt002 :smt002 :smt005
πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

https://tinyl.io/4ZjT

The answer is NO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Given that the Lions were markedly more successful in attack when Russell was at 10 it does reveal
how limited Biggar and Farrell are as attacking fly halves.

The Lions seemed stuck with how they wanted to play- never really committing to the fluid game that would trouble SA.

The Lions should have won the series but poor selection and tactics cost them. Gatland has such a Wales centric view and it has really cost the Lions.

I have said it endlessly but Ford is 28 and never been picked for the Lions- I find it bewildering.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Cardiff Tig wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:34 pm
Jacko27 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:08 pm I'm sure AWJ's tears were genuine ( he's a passionate man perhaps playing his finale) and maybe professional Northern Hemisphere rugby players do still think of Lions' selection as the "pinnacle" but when I look at the 15 names who started the 3rd Test on Saturday, my gut feeling is that it was no stronger or more likely to beat S.A. than an (on song) England XV or Wales XV or, for that matter, France XV. And any of those three teams would - if they needed it - have an anthem to spur them on.
I think this just says more about the state of British and Irish rugby than the importance of the Lions.

It was always going to be a challenge for any Lions team with a short tour and the added covid situation. Let alone when NH rugby is at a low point in its cycle.
I agree I think England would have been just as likely to win but the COVID situation is for both sides and SA had not played a test match for 18 months- the series was there for the taking.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

....the series was there for the taking , but England on the form of the Last 6 Nations would not have come close......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Beaten by Wales Ireland and Scotland

The English front row bullied in last quarter of third test .. how would England have done better?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Apparently, Jason Leonard and the rest of the Lions' management are "happy" with Gatland and are considering appointing him for the next tour. All the journos I've read and most on here have condemned the tactics and said a different coach would have won. Stuart Barnes lists Gatland's record in NZ and elsewhere - defeat after defeat. He is not a winning coach
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Gatland gets the gig I won't be watching! It's a joke,move on now
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

That would be getting ridiculous, a step away from actually appointing a full time Lions coach. Unless they all decline, the coach should be selected from the current coaches of the 4 nations involved.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 am That would be getting ridiculous, a step away from actually appointing a full time Lions coach. Unless they all decline, the coach should be selected from the current coaches of the 4 nations involved.
Or I wouldn't mind Eddie Jones even If he leaves us in 2023.