Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:36 am If the Lions as a commodity can survive 2005 it can survive this.
Cant recall 2005........what happened then?
3-0 drubbing by the Kiwis, obviously wasn’t helped by the disgusting thuggery on BOD that went unpunished but Woodward did his best to destroy the Lions with his silly anthem, having a non-rugby bureaucrat in Alastair Campbell on tour as well (which whatever your political affiliation is a bad idea for rugby reasons) and splitting of the tour and test teams.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:36 am If the Lions as a commodity can survive 2005 it can survive this.
Cant recall 2005........what happened then?
3-0 drubbing by the Kiwis, obviously wasn’t helped by the disgusting thuggery on BOD that went unpunished but Woodward did his best to destroy the Lions with his silly anthem, having a non-rugby bureaucrat in Alastair Campbell on tour as well (which whatever your political affiliation is a bad idea for rugby reasons) and splitting of the tour and test teams.
And using favouritism taking the 2003 RWC players,some who were clearly past their best
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think Biggar must have unique anatomy. I slight brush to the shoulder as a player pushed past him to get stuck in to others and he goes down like he has been shot in the left kidney. I share the view that all of these incidents listed above should have been cited or none of them. This has been a bad tempered and unsportsmanlike “celebration” of our sport. If anyone comes out of it with reputation enhanced I will be very surprised.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Offside wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:35 am I think Biggar must have unique anatomy. I slight brush to the shoulder as a player pushed past him to get stuck in to others and he goes down like he has been shot in the left kidney. I share the view that all of these incidents listed above should have been cited or none of them. This has been a bad tempered and unsportsmanlike “celebration” of our sport. If anyone comes out of it with reputation enhanced I will be very surprised.
Shame about Biggar because he's a very good player,just has the attitude of a wendyballer.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:06 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!
Has the rugby been poor or just not entertaining enough for you? There’s a difference.
If blood and thunder, big hits, stoppages, high kicks, reset scrums etc are your thing then it’s been superb. However, if you’re after line breaks, pacey wingers beating people and off loading out of the tackle then you’re going to be disappointed.

For me the deciding factor is the series compromising the spirit of the game. The questioning of the referees and the antics surrounding it has been very unpleasant.

I prefer running rugby like most of us but don’t care if the game is more attritional as long as it is done in the right manner. Erasmus in particular has been disgraceful in his conduct.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I really have not seen anything positive about this series. Scratch that, the positive point is that the Lions have fulfilled their obligations to the TV companies and to the sponsors as I suspect that the impact of not doing so (together with wage liabilities to players etc) would have been an unmitigated and possibly terminal financial disaster.

So, get the weekend out of the way, get a result on a tour where there really have been no winners and get everyone home safely.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Now Sinkler facing a ban for biting Mostert. Is anyone keeping tabs on this?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm Now Sinkler facing a ban for biting Mostert. Is anyone keeping tabs on this?
Reminds me of the fish hook, Ferris and Dylan. Bloke sticks his finger in your mouth or forearm forcing mouth open, what do you do?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:55 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm Now Sinkler facing a ban for biting Mostert. Is anyone keeping tabs on this?
Reminds me of the fish hook, Ferris and Dylan. Bloke sticks his finger in your mouth or forearm forcing mouth open, what do you do?
My dentist knows the answer.

Hate dentists!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct charge with regard to Match Official critism :

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 48858.html
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Sweeping changes from Gatland. Van du Merve very lucky to be retained and I think Murray is unlucky. Daly must only be retained due to versatility, done nothing all series. Owens ? Thought he was very poor last week- George hard done by again. Most of the rest to be expected and Beard may help defend the boks lineout.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58072518
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

For me to pick Owens at Hooker is a miserable decision, set piece is key and he was a shambles last week, Either WG knows something we don’t or it’s a mates rates selection.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

British and Irish Lions: Williams; Adams, Henshaw, Aki, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Price; Jones, Owens, Furlong, Itoje, A Wyn Jones (c), Lawes, Curry, Conan

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Vunipola, Sinckler, Beard, Simmonds, Murray, Russell, Daly

Nothing that will scare SA at all
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Harsh on Harris to be dropped, what has Henshaw done so far accept butcher try scoring opportunities, Aki will get battered backwards by SA, the midfield is flat and stagnant, the lions just have to make whatever half chances they get stick or they could get walloped!