Post by markharbtiger »

Some suggestion that Jasper might have injured an ankle last night

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/inter ... 5e8a62a7d7
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 am Have to say in watching the highlights, the jackal from van Staden looked legal.
Yes it was!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Have to agree about Curry.. I would like to see Watson and curry in the same team .. Too many turnovers given away in first half. Thought Navidi had a poor game and again confused how he was chosen as a replacement for Tipiruc instead of Underhill
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Re sky coverage.. generally ok but does Warbuton only think the Welsh should play? That’s all he can talk about!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:24 am Some suggestion that Jasper might have injured an ankle last night

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/inter ... 5e8a62a7d7
The type of hit from LC-D which put Wiese out of the game is becoming insidious. They've really got to start paying more attention to the 'no arms' tackle directed with force against the ball carrier's knees. It risks career-ending injury - or worse - for both players.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem is that when you go very low, which you are forced to do to avoid a red card, colliding and wrapping occur almost simultaneously. The shoulder has to take the impact as there is no way you can tackle with one arm around a forwards legs and stop them without conceding a lot of ground.

Not a malicious shoulder charge but dangerous to both players and an inadvertent consequence of being the only way to tackle a ball carrier if he is leaning forwards low to the ground.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I rather think Cowan-Dickie is making a habit of throwing himself front-on at the ball carriers legs. Knees don't bend that way so what he's doing is simply dangerous. For me, that's not a 'low tackle' - it's a cynical attempt to stop an opponent which risks serious injury.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

British and Irish Lions team vs Stormers: Hogg: Adams, Daly, Henshaw, Van der Merwe; Smith, Price, Sutherland, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Beard, Hill, Beirne, H Watson, Conan
Replacements: George, Vunipola, Fagerson, AW Jones, Simmonds, Davies, Harris, Rees-Zammit
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm I rather think Cowan-Dickie is making a habit of throwing himself front-on at the ball carriers legs. Knees don't bend that way so what he's doing is simply dangerous. For me, that's not a 'low tackle' - it's a cynical attempt to stop an opponent which risks serious injury.
+1.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm I rather think Cowan-Dickie is making a habit of throwing himself front-on at the ball carriers legs. Knees don't bend that way so what he's doing is simply dangerous. For me, that's not a 'low tackle' - it's a cynical attempt to stop an opponent which risks serious injury.
It was actually something that I was taught when I was training with one club,shoulder to knee,won’t name them though.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm
+1.
+2
The "Chop tackle" carries a high risk of concussion to the tackler (bonce on knee) and ligament damage (hyperextension) to the tackled.

We need a minimum and maximum height for the tackle?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Saw that,he couldn't have taken a quick one anyway because a Lions player had touched it
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have a sneaky feeling Gatland is gonna do an Eddie and play Lawes at 6 in the first test (If AWJ goes okay vs The Stormers)

Looks like Vermuelen isn't gonna make the first test and might even be out for the whole series. If Weise is injured who is the next cab off the rank? Cheeky call up for Hanro? 🤪

Kwagga Smith is next in line,just came to me
Last edited by Scott1 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:25 pm Have to agree about Curry.. I would like to see Watson and curry in the same team .. Too many turnovers given away in first half. Thought Navidi had a poor game and again confused how he was chosen as a replacement for Tipiruc instead of Underhill
Simple, he's Welsh
God created rugby so footballers have heros too