Ben Kay leaves the Board

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Ben Kay leaves the Board

Post by Noggs »

Sorry to hear this. A great bloke and servant of the club.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cl ... ent-210614
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ben Kay leaves the Board

Post by wormus »

Ben has put such a lot of his strength, time and effort into Tigers over the years and perhaps his broadcasting talents sometimes conflict with his Board position, I do not find him anti Tigers as he has been the voice of reason in front of the cameras several times.
Thankyou Ben you have been a great servant. :smt023
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

After 7 years probably a natural time to move on. I wonder who may step up to the board now from the ex-player group?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Austin would be fun :smt040
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Noggs wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:58 am Austin would be fun :smt040
They’ve built a crèche in the boardroom? :smt003
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

NO NO NO!!!!!!! Austin ME ME Healey is never fun,spoils every game he is involved with,has the worse case of LMS i've ever known,what a BORE :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 am
NO NO NO!!!!!!! Austin ME ME Healey is never fun,spoils every game he is involved with,has the worse case of LMS i've ever known,what a BORE :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
A little harsh me thinks :smt009
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=wormus post_id=785470 time=1623658845 user_id=169]
Ben has put such a lot of his strength, time and effort into Tigers over the years and perhaps his broadcasting talents sometimes conflict with his Board position, I do not find him anti Tigers as he has been the voice of reason in front of the cameras several times.
Thankyou Ben you have been a great servant. :smt023
[/quote]

Agreed!
It seems that, following Rory Underwood's departure, and now Ben Kay, that the 'players' group on the Board is no longer.
It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, gets invited to join.
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

I tend to be a cynic regarding what happens at tigers nowadays. First Underwood was asked to leave and now Ben Kay, who with any knowledge is there to look at and question what happens on the playing side of the club.
It looks to me that anyone who dares to question Borthwick is shown the door in short order. Players, coaches and even board members are leaving, or am I being a cynic ?
BillB
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought Underwood left because Murphy was going and didn't like it?
Also why should the board question Borthwick? If he produces the results why should a Board member step in to question something?
It's not their neck on the lines with the results we went through 4 head coaches before change in the board.

And if players are questioning the coach to the point where the coach would want them gone then that's entirely possible.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Billb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:21 pm I tend to be a cynic regarding what happens at tigers nowadays. First Underwood was asked to leave and now Ben Kay, who with any knowledge is there to look at and question what happens on the playing side of the club.
It looks to me that anyone who dares to question Borthwick is shown the door in short order. Players, coaches and even board members are leaving, or am I being a cynic ?
I think so, change is a given and can if implemented correctly and for the right reasons can be for the better and improve matters. The departure of Kay and Underwood is a case in point they had there chance as members of the so called Rugby Board and the rest is history.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Billb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:21 pm I tend to be a cynic regarding what happens at tigers nowadays. First Underwood was asked to leave and now Ben Kay, who with any knowledge is there to look at and question what happens on the playing side of the club.
Honestly, that would not worry me. We have had stories before of various cliques impacting on people's ability to do their job, players going to the board etc. Now we are all in with support for Borthwick and that is fine with me. If a player or anyone else does not buy in to the vision he has for the team going forward then they may be better off going elsewhere. Having a club from top to bottom united behind one vision seems sensible to me.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

So far as I can see there is no evidence as to whether or not the decision to leave the Board was Kays. He has a lot of other things on his plate and if he felt he was too busy to make a meaningful contribution he may well have said 7 years is enough and resigned.

No doubt the full story will come to light in time.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I would be absolutely buzzing if Borths was the new sheriff in town cleaning the place up,it needed it badly!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

IMO ex-players on the board may be more hinderance than help under the current SB stewardship. I certainly would not want anyone interfering in the on-field decision making. SB has a coaching staff of his choosing and the governance; the buck stops with him and if he does not produce the goods in the next few seasons then he will be shown the door in short order. Ben has been a true servant of the Tigers in many ways. I also believe that he sees SB as the 'fix' the Tigers have needed for many seasons. Smaller board, less dithering and bickering, although I would think that Andrea is not the person to be messed with given her 'hands-on' attitude that everyone at Tigers is equal and the fans come first. Roll on 21/22 can't wait. I want the first home game of 21/22 to be against Sarries please.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat