Captain for 2021/22 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Captain for 2021/22 Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OTY is a great club servant and 100% should be given a "club captain" role however I think the primary "match captain" has to be someone that is a regular starter and with Montoya we have one of, if not the best, hookers in the world.

Therefore I think we need a new match captain.
Options as I see it:

OTY, no longer a starter most weeks but can he remain skipper and just have a week by week basis when he doesn't start?

Ford is currently the VC and has also captained England, decent choice but is also away with England, do we want a skipper away with England parts of the season (if Smith does well is Ford still in EJ's plan)

Wigglesworth has been heavily used as VC & C with Ford and Youngs absent, but like OTY doesn’t make the starting team when full strength IMO especially not going forward as JVP gets more gametime.

Genge yesterday led fantastically, built a good rapport with the ref, but like Ford will be away with England.

YBY - for me not really a contender, love the guy to bits but when he was skipper this year we didn't seem to communicate too well with the ref, leadership group YES but not captain (also may be away with England.

Taute has also captained the team this year, but see him more leading the Premiership Cup team and guiding them, not a starter at full strength.

Liebenberg good leadership by example in the Exeter game one of the leading candidates IMO.

Montoya not captained us but will captain the Pumas this summer. Possibly a decent outside shout but think it's a bit early in his Tigers career to give him the top on field job.

Any other candidates I've missed. For me it's between Liebenberg and Genge, after yesterday I'd lean towards Genge so long as Ford not put out of joint as him being away with England was maybe used as a reason in the past for him not getting the job and it is not worth alienating Ford over the decision.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Captain for 2021/22 Season

Post by Scott1 »

If it alienates Ford I don’t care,that’s on him! We do what’s best for us,Genge and Liebenbeg to share the role depending on when Genges away with England. Ford can concentrate on leading the backs then. Keep TY as club captain and I’d like to see Wells used when need be if we are rotating.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have said for a while to my friends that Genge really understands how to talk to a ref and get him on side and think he is our best choice but I would go for co-captains - Genge and Ford. Yes, I understand they would both be away with England at the same time but when available are our best choices. I would also have co-vice captains - Liebenberg and Moroni - both are certain to play and must be well respected by the squad. We then get the best people on the field to make the decisions throughout the season which is surely what we want. In my day we had a pack leader or captain in the forwards and a captain/backs leader to make decisions for them.
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Agreed that OTY should be captain of the club but I also feel that if he starts then he will skipper the side.

What's important is having a nucleus of good candidates, which I believe we have in Genge, Hanro, Ben Youngs, Ford, Wiggy and I'd even go as far as Martin and Wells. That's a decent pool of players who can take the armband when needed. So long as they are all clear on the game plan, the way that we want to play and communicate well with Sir and his team, then I'm happy
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A telling factor in our climb back up the Premiership table is that we now have a clear, leadership group in our squad, something really lacking in previous seasons that put more burdens on T. Youngs’ shoulders, especially when his brother and Ford were away with England. Also good to see the development in players like Wells and Genge that has also seen them become leaders too within the squad.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Interesting debate which also featured in the BT Rugby Tonight feature with Eddie Jones yesterday evening. Dallaglio expressed the view that too few candidates for the national captaincy lead their club sides; Jones, dodging the question somewhat, felt things have moved on and that today's captains tend not to challenge referees and generally capitulate on the field.

Very few international sides have leaders which tick all of the necessary boxes, let alone club level - inspiring and extracting the best from the players, adept with the media, effective engagement with officials and first choice in their own position. The key ingredient in each of these facets is respect, an intangible quality which must surely be earned over a period of time. For that reason, I wouldn't advocate much chopping and changing of the captain, a policy which could inadvertently diminish the status and importance of this crucial role. Similarly, I'm not a fan of the Co Captain philosophy which smacks of indecision and compromise rather than clarity of selection and focussed leadership.

First and foremost, Borthwick needs to make a choice he is comfortable with and that the other influential players will support (respect).
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Difficult choice, but I would go for a second row, Harry Wells would make a great skipper I think.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

We need a captain who makes sound decisions, leads by example, motivates the team, can communicate effectively with the referee and won't antagonise them. For me that must be Genge. Liebenberg or Moroni would be good shouts for vice captain as that should be someone likely to be around most of the season. What is clear is that we now have many more players taking a leadership role on the pitch.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Both Ford and Genge could be the captain but Genge showed yesterday he is respected by us and the opposition: Ford is too but he has to worry about the backs and his kicking.
Montoya could do it in place of our England boys: apart from his early throwing( could have been the fault of the jumpers) he was immense: the way he kept getting up front being on the floor to get back in defence and attacked looked very impressive from where I sat: not seen the game on TV highlights but he also looked to help the youngsters with their work.
Moroni too could be a very good captain.
Outsider: George Martin: could be another Johnno!
Nice to be spoilt for choice.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ford.

And if and when he’s away with England there’s a decent team over leaders to do the job too.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Liebenberg for me with Genge and Ford vc
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Ironic really , it was not too long ago that we were seemingly all bemoaning a lack of on-field leadership.We are perhaps now fortunate that a group is emerging - a core that much like in times past is strong enough to take us forward and accept nothing less than total dedication from those who wear our shirt.
Hanro Liebenberg for me - respected by his peers , has captaincy experience and no international call ups or commitments thus far.Backed , of course by a series of Vice Captains.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
rugbym4dmike
Tiger Cub

Post by rugbym4dmike »

It's Genge for me, the way he very respectfully got in the ear of the ref straight after the first scrum was what we have been missing for so long. The armband appears to keep him calm whilst retaining that aggression, when he is away with Englang we have Liebenberg who also did a good job when captain. We are all agreed it's great to have so many options :smt026
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Might be an old-fashioned view but I don't think 10s make good captains.

They need to be exceptional to manage the game, place kicking (normally), deal with the ref, and make the decision that they need to hand over kicking duties when they are having a mediocre day.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 am OTY is a great club servant and 100% should be given a "club captain" role however I think the primary "match captain" has to be someone that is a regular starter and with Montoya we have one of, if not the best, hookers in the world.

Therefore I think we need a new match captain.
Options as I see it:

OTY, no longer a starter most weeks but can he remain skipper and just have a week by week basis when he doesn't start?

Ford is currently the VC and has also captained England, decent choice but is also away with England, do we want a skipper away with England parts of the season (if Smith does well is Ford still in EJ's plan)

Wigglesworth has been heavily used as VC & C with Ford and Youngs absent, but like OTY doesn’t make the starting team when full strength IMO especially not going forward as JVP gets more gametime.

Genge yesterday led fantastically, built a good rapport with the ref, but like Ford will be away with England.

YBY - for me not really a contender, love the guy to bits but when he was skipper this year we didn't seem to communicate too well with the ref, leadership group YES but not captain (also may be away with England.

Taute has also captained the team this year, but see him more leading the Premiership Cup team and guiding them, not a starter at full strength.

Liebenberg good leadership by example in the Exeter game one of the leading candidates IMO.

Montoya not captained us but will captain the Pumas this summer. Possibly a decent outside shout but think it's a bit early in his Tigers career to give him the top on field job.

Any other candidates I've missed. For me it's between Liebenberg and Genge, after yesterday I'd lean towards Genge so long as Ford not put out of joint as him being away with England was maybe used as a reason in the past for him not getting the job and it is not worth alienating Ford over the decision.
Liebenberg for me, a starteer, no (current) international commitments
God created rugby so footballers have heros too