3 Tigers in the U20’s squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 3 Tigers in the U20’s squad

Post by RichieB »

Sadly not a Tiger any more, but Sam Costelow 18 points for Wales v Italy.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:31 pm Sadly not a Tiger any more, but Sam Costelow 18 points for Wales v Italy.
Sadly he left, he and JVP would have been brilliant, continuation of their Oakham days.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

how old is Vanes? Looks like he needs to bulk up a bit before making the first team for me
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 pm how old is Vanes? Looks like he needs to bulk up a bit before making the first team for me
19 or 20, I think. I agree that he does like a little slimmer than other hookers in that age grade. I'm not particularly worried about it - his throwing looked top class in the game yesterday and he seemed to hold his own in the tackles. I don't think he's ever going to be an Akker Van Der Merwe type hooker (extremely muscular). That being said, nobody would complain if he turned out like Jamie George (not muscular).
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 pm how old is Vanes? Looks like he needs to bulk up a bit before making the first team for me
Is he smaller than Thacker
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Thibg about Vanes is that our age profile of Hooker is very good. He has a year or tow to fill out till OTY is ready to step aside where we need him to be making a step up, then we have time for him and Dolly to develop before they can compete over the 2 jersey for years
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

First time I've seen Vanes and I don't think he looks small. He just looks lean. Mobile for a hooker, good work rate, nice throwing in and good physicality in defence. A lot to like. He's got the frame to become a bit of a unit as he matures physically. With Aled looking after him during pre season he'll be on the right track, as he doesn't seem to be carrying any puppy fat then Aled can just work on powering him up. Hopefully get him some Championship game time next season maybe some Prem Cup if that's still a thing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Vanes is only in his first year out of the academy way too early to start talking about first team for a front rower

The sub Riley is a year older.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I watched this U20's game.
I was impressed by England's comeback but not impressed by the standard.
The gulf between that and pro level club rugby looked particularly large, maybe even the largest gulf that I have ever witnessed.
Now that could be the impact of coronavirus, it could be the impact of redundancies, it could just be a low level, or it could be a combination of all three.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well usually these guys would be getting game time at the National league level 1 or 2.
Handful of the older guys in the championship
Then feature on and off for A league/prem cup.

For a few of those guys at least from the England side at least, especially the forwards that would've been their first competitive game of rugby in over a year.

That being said I always thought that England have struggled recently in the 6N's regardless and seemed to do better at the world cup when they had more time together.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:19 am Well usually these guys would be getting game time at the National league level 1 or 2.

For a few of those guys at least from the England side at least, especially the forwards that would've been their first competitive game of rugby in over a year.

That being said I always thought that England have struggled recently in the 6N's regardless and seemed to do better at the world cup when they had more time together.
Agree on cohesion. Little rugby this season, little time together and not much to nothing of club combinations mean it's not going to anything like pro club level.

With the forwards I don't think it matters the level too much, I know I said Championship but as you say League 1 or 2 is also good. Important thing is to get the forwards used to playing at a level where their physicality isn't a dominant characteristic. Need to learn their trade and get used to the senior levels of physicality and technique. Whitcombe and Kelly thrived after their exposure at Nat2 level.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Look at Scott Baldwin, the hooker for Quins. By no means the biggest or a ballcarrier in the mould of van der Merwe, but won’t get knocked back in the carry, skilled, can throw his darts and has the leg drive in the scrum.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:19 am Well usually these guys would be getting game time at the National league level 1 or 2.

Don't get me wrong, it might not be a bad thing.
Perhaps in the past too much emphasis has been placed on size and conditioning at this age.
These players bodies might actually last longer.
Missing over a year of knocking lumps out of eachother could actually turn out to be a good thing, just as long as they are given the proper time to develop.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dokie wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:41 am
Is he smaller than Thacker
Not that small it’s more his build he looks a bit slight for a hooker at this stage to me
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »