Tom Youngs Charged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tom Youngs Charged

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:20 am Providing there are sanctions against Brizzle for their actions, you can't argue against the ban OTY will get, let's not forget he wasn't terribly professional in the away game against them either in his interactions with "Sir", unfortunately to me it's more evidence of why he isn't a great on field captain.
I agree with the sentiments in this post. Evidence of his commitment to the club but at the same time evidence that he isn’t the best on-field captain. To be fair to Tempest, he actually reacted fairly professionally.

Personally, in the heat of the moment with everything that happened I don’t think Youngs should be criticised that much, but the laws are the laws.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Been saying for a while Tom should be club captain 100% but he isn’t a matchday captain sadly
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

fentiger wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am Youngs comments along the lines... "What you did mate, is that you're not ******** strong enough to give a penalty try, and you ******** know it". When Tempest asked "Which one?" he said "******** all of them!" then added in "Its ******** criminal" for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09k_FvrXmU
Fact is we know he shouldn't have sworn, however in so doing it has highlighted his, and probably the rest of Tigers players and staff's feelings about the charade!
Well he does come from Norfolk and they all talk like that on the fields! :smt002
peteD

Post by peteD »

sapajo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:56 pm Telegraph reporting that the rest of the investigation is still ongoing.
Well no doubt that investigation will extend past the Prem Final and any sanction imposed will be completely facile unlike the action be taken against OTY.
I imagine the investigation will conclude conveniently after Bristols last game of the season, with potentially ban that just long enough not to interfere with next seasons games (Bristol may need to add 23 'meaningful' preseason games :smt017 )
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

wormus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:59 pm
fentiger wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am Youngs comments along the lines... "What you did mate, is that you're not ******** strong enough to give a penalty try, and you ******** know it". When Tempest asked "Which one?" he said "******** all of them!" then added in "Its ******** criminal" for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09k_FvrXmU
Fact is we know he shouldn't have sworn, however in so doing it has highlighted his, and probably the rest of Tigers players and staff's feelings about the charade!
Well he does come from Norfolk and they all talk like that on the fields! :smt002
Norfook where Bob ois not necessarily jist your Uncle! :smt023 :smt044
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sapajo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:56 pm Telegraph reporting that the rest of the investigation is still ongoing.
Well no doubt that investigation will extend past the Prem Final and any sanction imposed will be completely facile unlike the action be taken against OTY.
I think if anything it would be a touchline/stadium ban for Lam. Hopefully sorted before the semis. But, I have my doubts.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Given what happened towards the end of this match, I am lost for words :smt009.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The YouTube footage mentioned in this thread has been around for some time , so in a way I'm a little surprised it has taken this long for action to be confirmed.Have to adnit however that I do feel for Tom Youngs - he basically said what the vast majority of spectators were thinking.Unfortunately however one just cannot say such things to a referee and expect it go unpunished.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So...... If he'd said.

"I say Sir, old chap. I thought you performed rather poorly at that last scrum. Personally, and with respect, I thought we had a clear advantage in the scrum and Bristol were repeatedly infringing in order to gain an advatage. Also the antics of Mr Lam and that nasty piece of work Afoa were contrary to the spirit of the game....... And to celebrate ones victory, ostensibly obtained by cheating, was the final straw that broke the camel's back."

Tom would have been fine?

I have a great deal of sympathy for Tom. We are in a professional era with referees governing the fortunes of players and clubs. Referees should not be invulnerable and beyond reproach..... Sometimes they need telling...... But perhaps without the F word.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

The only people guilty of 'conduct prejudicial to the interests of the union and the game' as a result of that farce are Pat Lam, Ian Tempest and the RFU.

It's like schoolkids wrecking a classroom but the teacher just tells off one for dropping their pencil.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

VernonAtrium wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am The only people guilty of 'conduct prejudicial to the interests of the union and the game' as a result of that farce are Pat Lam, Ian Tempest and the RFU.

It's like schoolkids wrecking a classroom but the teacher just tells off one for dropping their pencil.
+ 1 A certain Mr Afoa?

The Leicester 2 is innocent.
Hooker's Lives Matter.

(Double entendre unintended!)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:50 pm Been saying for a while Tom should be club captain 100% but he isn’t a matchday captain sadly
Agree there, I believe he got the captaincy by chance as the club was in such dire straits there was no one else with the presence and service to do it. But I feel for the on pitch captain I'm backing Liebenburg. Phenomenal player and very much a Johnno / Cozza type of chap.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:38 am
VernonAtrium wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am The only people guilty of 'conduct prejudicial to the interests of the union and the game' as a result of that farce are Pat Lam, Ian Tempest and the RFU.

I’ll agree on 2 out of 3, but although I’ll probably be torn apart on this forum for saying this, including Tempest here is unfair. On the day we were all raging about the decisions he gave or didn’t give, but after taking off the Tiger-tinted spectacles I genuinely feel he didn’t get much wrong after being put in a very difficult position.
1. No penalty try? Natural justice should suggest we should have had one, but referees have to interpret the Laws as they stand, and in this he was probably correct. If there’s a fault it’s the Laws that don’t adequately address the consequences of overwhelming scrum dominance and the tactics used by weaker scrums to counter this*.
2. With Afoa-gate, he was put in impossible position and did his best to get clarity from people clearly unwilling to be straight with him. Some have argued that he should have not allowed Lam to backtrack and force him to play with 13 - but about the only certain fact in this affair was that the team sheet said ‘replacement’. If he’d overruled this and prevented Afoa coming on, leading to a probable Tigers victory, he’d be accused of undermining fellow officials and playing god on player welfare. As he frequently pointed out to players/coaches on both sides, he’s not medically trained!
3. The final scrum - did Bristol win it legally? Probably not, but after viewing several times I’m still not sure. Looks like an early push, but is anyone ever certain on these calls? Had Wiese lost control of the ball before Urens picked it up? A 50-50 judgement call, I’d say. Crucially, both the possible early push and the possible early pickup happened on Tempest’s blindside…and so it was the responsibility of the touch judge to make the calls.

On the day I was fuming with Tempest, but on reflection I’ve changed my position. I’m just relieved that I didn’t succumb to the temptation of joining those booing him off….I’d feel really guilty if I had!

*I’d have thought one way of avoiding the uncontested scrum situation is by making yellow cards for repeated collapsing a team penalty, rather than automatically giving them to the props. Simple to apply, and would allow the dominant scrum to continue to dominate - but safely.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

For me it's not the swearing that's the issue here. When Hartley got red carded in the Prem final, all the talk at the time was not about the use of the F word but the use of the word cheat. Young's has inferred the ref "cheated" and questioned his integrity in a way. We probably should have won. We didn't. I was glad to see some fight and passion. Whether or not that manifested itself in the right way at the end of the game is unchangeable now. Afoa shouldn't have acted in the way he did and we shouldn't have reacted.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Really got me wound up how cocky Afoa was just sitting there with his arms crossed!.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer