Tom Youngs Charged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tom Youngs Charged

Post by Big Dai »

TigerReggie wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:05 am For me it's not the swearing that's the issue here. When Hartley got red carded in the Prem final, all the talk at the time was not about the use of the F word but the use of the word cheat. Young's has inferred the ref "cheated" and questioned his integrity in a way. We probably should have won. We didn't. I was glad to see some fight and passion. Whether or not that manifested itself in the right way at the end of the game is unchangeable now. Afoa shouldn't have acted in the way he did and we shouldn't have reacted.
I think there's a sharp distinction between using the term "cheat" and suggedting to sir stronger measures should have been taken.

The former is unacceptable with or without the expletive. Whilst the latter often transpires, politely, without swearing, from captain to sir during the game.

.......just saying.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Should not be swearing at a ref but perhaps it is symptomatic of the increasingly evident unpleasantness within the game.
To be blunt I am growing tired of today's pro players and coaches.
I much preferred the days when a bit more humility existed amongst the likes of Wilko and Robinson.
Only scrum halves and Aussie wingers are supposed to be annoying but now it seems every other player is.
N. Hughes is one that gets right up my nose, I do not think I could be on the same pitch as this bloke and avoid getting red carded.
Bring back Julian White for the next Bristol fixture.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Some people forgot Neil Back’s push on the ref in the final v Bath: we were there and it was no accident.
I’ve heard other Tigers swear at the ref in years gone by but it was usually quickly answered by in a witty way by Sir. Nigel Owens is very good at handling such aberrations!
Sadly I booed the officials too on Saturday as they were very poor from the off with obvious knock ons, infringements at the line out missed for both sides: this was then compounded by the ref repeatedly giving warnings about the “ the next offence is a yellow” wasting valuable time at the end shouldn’t be allowed but on the other hand Ford has used his full minute in tight games to kick a penalty!
Both teams were guilty of allowed squad players to get involved at the end and I wonder what action would have been taken had it happened against Exeter, Chiefs or Bath?
Off to the Ricoh now hoping the officials encourage the players to enjoy the last game and please leave the TMO out of it!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:53 am Some people forgot Neil Back’s push on the ref in the final v Bath: we were there and it was no accident.
I’ve heard other Tigers swear at the ref in years gone by but it was usually quickly answered by in a witty way by Sir. Nigel Owens is very good at handling such aberrations!
Sadly I booed the officials too on Saturday as they were very poor from the off with obvious knock ons, infringements at the line out missed for both sides: this was then compounded by the ref repeatedly giving warnings about the “ the next offence is a yellow” wasting valuable time at the end shouldn’t be allowed but on the other hand Ford has used his full minute in tight games to kick a penalty!
Both teams were guilty of allowed squad players to get involved at the end and I wonder what action would have been taken had it happened against Exeter, Chiefs or Bath?
Off to the Ricoh now hoping the officials encourage the players to enjoy the last game and please leave the TMO out of it!
Enjoy Ian! 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:53 am Some people forgot Neil Back’s push on the ref in the final v Bath: we were there and it was no accident.
Agree in general but the wind up merchants seem to be particularly prevalent these days.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm in agreement with those who think Ian Tempest has had a raw deal on here. I do think Tom should have been querying the absence of a penalty try much earlier (perhaps he was, and I didn't pick it up). If he wasn't, then this is what I think people are referring to when they question his on field performance as captain. Genge seems to have no trouble engaging with the referee and seems not to wind them up.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If we had actually made use of field position in the first half this would possibly of all been academic, its acting as good cover for Tigers poor (although shocking is possibly the more accurate word) conversation rate in the "Red Zone" & the fact that our vastly experienced & hyped 9 was asleep at the final scrum.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Indeed it should have been academic. The most shocking statistic of the season was our rank as red zone entrants combined with our conversion rate.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The stricter enforcement of scraps and fights with a zero tolerance of punches meant that it was inevitable that there was going to be an increase in wind-up merchants. It is getting a bit silly and out of hand now, remember when a Munster medic said something unseemly about Jamie George’s mother? Rugby should be better than that. Not sure there is much one can do about it legally apart from a big tackle.

Just don’t do what Joe Heyes did and missed the punch against GJ van Velze…
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:21 pm The stricter enforcement of scraps and fights with a zero tolerance of punches meant that it was inevitable that there was going to be an increase in wind-up merchants. It is getting a bit silly and out of hand now, remember when a Munster medic said something unseemly about Jamie George’s mother? Rugby should be better than that. Not sure there is much one can do about it legally apart from a big tackle.

Just don’t do what Joe Heyes did and missed the punch against GJ van Velze…
There is something that can be done and it is easy.
If some plonker starts whooping and getting in the oppositions face then Sir can give a penalty.
Perhaps this is something that could have happened when Afoa got is Wigglesworth's face before Sir had blown his whistle.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s officiated at lower levels BFG, ma’am penalised an opposition player in a school game for whooping at our fullback trying to catch the ball to put him off.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

The referee leads the team of match officials and is responsible for the impartial application of the rules of the game. Ian Tempest abrogated that responsibility to the Bristol team coach, who naturally acted in favour of his team at the expense of the rules of the game.

Yes, referees are human beings. Yes, it is a thankless task. Yes, they can make disastrous mistakes.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm It’s officiated at lower levels BFG, ma’am penalised an opposition player in a school game for whooping at our fullback trying to catch the ball to put him off.
Was always penalised at lower levels
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:56 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm It’s officiated at lower levels BFG, ma’am penalised an opposition player in a school game for whooping at our fullback trying to catch the ball to put him off.
Was always penalised at lower levels
Because referees at that level don’t have to consider “entertainment value” when making decisions or enforcing the law.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://insider-voice.com/tom-youngs-le ... ssion=true

Turns out Tom Youngs has a side job that may be why he's being charged... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Someone needs to turn of their auto word replacement on their editing software...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.