THE BIG ONE - Wasps (A) - 12th June 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: THE BIG ONE - Wasps (A) - 12th June 2021

Post by RichieB »

Also makes you realise how tough it is in professional sport to build up a relationship with other players (mates he called them) and then see some of them shipped out on a fairly regular basis.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 am Was great hearing him talk about Whitcombe like that.
+1.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wasps will really miss Rowlands, quality player. Never really got the plaudits he deserved.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Having been at The Ricoh I’m surprised some posters didn’t think Pearce reffed well. I usually moan a few times about the refs at most games, often when I get home I know I’ve been too harsh; last week week Tempest and the officials deserved their criticism.
Yesterday Pearce stopped the clock at each scrum until the ball went in: he was firm with Wasps front row and firm when we back chatted: he also played the advantage rule correctly particularly in the last few minutes of the first half when Wasps kicked to the wing and Nadalo caught it! Some refs this season seem to give advantage after advantage until the attacking team score.
Maybe it’s just me but I’d like to say well done Sir.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm Having been at The Ricoh I’m surprised some posters didn’t think Pearce reffed well. I usually moan a few times about the refs at most games, often when I get home I know I’ve been too harsh; last week week Tempest and the officials deserved their criticism.
Yesterday Pearce stopped the clock at each scrum until the ball went in: he was firm with Wasps front row and firm when we back chatted: he also played the advantage rule correctly particularly in the last few minutes of the first half when Wasps kicked to the wing and Nadalo caught it! Some refs this season seem to give advantage after advantage until the attacking team score.
I wasn't there but did watch the re-run on demand last night and I have to say I agree with you.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I didn't think Pearce had a bad game just commented on things that drew my attention, my big issue was with the touch judge refusing to call the changing of binds right in front of his face at the maul
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Thought Pearce was lenient with their front row, (to think some people were saying we should sign McIntyre.....), he calls use it at a ruck but doesn't carry it through, the sooner the refs do that the less Conga rucks we shall see.

He was better than our last experience of him, he does at least try to allow the game to flow & most importantly he isn't Dickson.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:30 pm Thought Pearce was lenient with their front row, (to think some people were saying we should sign McIntyre.....), he calls use it at a ruck but doesn't carry it through, the sooner the refs do that the less Conga rucks we shall see.

He was better than our last experience of him, he does at least try to allow the game to flow & most importantly he isn't Dickson.
Less hope the conga rucks get looked at. Imo once the ball can be used no other play can bind on unless they are trying to counter a counter ruck. Gives more chance of a charge down.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:43 am
wardy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 pm Anyone else notice that Matt Smith was carrying water instead of being in coaching box.
Didn't see Deacon yesterday, although I was watching on TV.
Deacon was there and seen at the presentation to the retiring Dr Martyn Newey after 20 years.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:13 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm Having been at The Ricoh I’m surprised some posters didn’t think Pearce reffed well. I usually moan a few times about the refs at most games, often when I get home I know I’ve been too harsh; last week week Tempest and the officials deserved their criticism.
I wasn't there but did watch the re-run on demand last night and I have to say I agree with you.
Thought Pearce was fine, decent game. Few bits missed but let’s face it that’s a country mile ahead of what we’ve had of late. The changing of the binds I spotted too and was surprised the touch judge stayed quiet as Pearce was on the wrong side to see it. Otherwise, got the big calls right and is streets ahead of most of the other refs in our league. Yes the use it call he doesn’t enforce but neither does anyone else so he’s not alone. Would like to see this as one of the areas they focus on next season
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:45 pm
Thought Pearce was fine, decent game. Few bits missed but let’s face it that’s a country mile ahead of what we’ve had of late. The changing of the binds I spotted too and was surprised the touch judge stayed quiet as Pearce was on the wrong side to see it. Otherwise, got the big calls right and is streets ahead of most of the other refs in our league. Yes the use it call he doesn’t enforce but neither does anyone else so he’s not alone. Would like to see this as one of the areas they focus on next season
The laws state that the scrum half has 5 seconds after the referee says “use it”.:.and I imagine both referees and 9s are saying their 5 ‘Mississippi’s’ to themselves!

Life’s too short to rewatch a recording with a stopwatch, but I bet if you did you’d find the reason referees are not following through with a sanction in 99% of cases is that they don’t need to - because the ball is being used well within the 5 seconds.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:08 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:45 pm

The laws state that the scrum half has 5 seconds after the referee says “use it”.:.and I imagine both referees and 9s are saying their 5 ‘Mississippi’s’ to themselves!

Life’s too short to rewatch a recording with a stopwatch, but I bet if you did you’d find the reason referees are not following through with a sanction in 99% of cases is that they don’t need to - because the ball is being used well within the 5 seconds.
No chance.. I have watched a lot of rugby this season (as I’m sure we all have) and the 9 has taken longer than 5s on so many occasions! Way more than the 1% of the time you suggest. Pearce is a classic for “use it… come on 9 you’ve had your 5..” heard this so many times this season. I’d say it’s happening most games and if you’re playing certain sides then multiple times every game!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

It’s surprising how long 5 seconds can seem when you’re willing the ball to come out!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Thought Pearce had a good game - he’s definitely improved to become pretty consistent over the past few seasons.

Dare I say CMK seems to be on a similar improvement curve too or is it that Foley, Tempest and Dickson are that bad that he looks close to competent by comparison?

Anyway more interesting was the game and a good old end of season ding dong that ebbed and flowed to the point where I expect SB hated much of it particularly our recurring habit of gifting points to the opposition just after we’ve scored ourselves.

All good fun though and a good, positive marker to end the season on.

Notwithstanding huge swingeing cuts to budget (and therefore losing some key players) I’d expect us to be be a solid top 6 team next season and pushing top 4.

Nothing like a bit of hope to build expectations eh!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

what exactly is the result of a failure to "use it" in time? scrum or free kick?