Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: THE BIG ONE - Wasps (A) - 12th June 2021

Post by loretta »

Free kick
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I guess refs are unwilling to blow up for a free kick because of the amount of time it will take for the scrum. Perhaps, a slight law chance meaning that only a kick could happen, not a scrum from a scrumhalf not using the ball within five seconds will allow proper officiation of the laws and prevent more time, incidentally, being wasted.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:32 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:43 am
wardy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 pm Anyone else notice that Matt Smith was carrying water instead of being in coaching box.
Didn't see Deacon yesterday, although I was watching on TV.
Deacon was there and seen at the presentation to the retiring Dr Martyn Newey after 20 years.
Deacs got an honourable mention from Ellis in his interview for LTTV
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:22 pm what exactly is the result of a failure to "use it" in time? scrum or free kick?
If more than 5 seconds has elapsed and...
The ball is unplayable at a ruck or tackle its a scrum to the side going forward.
The ball is unplayable at a maul it's a scrum to the side not in possession at the 'start' of the maul.
The ball is playable at a stationary scrum it is a turnover scrum.
The ball is playable at a ruck/tackle - turnover scrum.

5 seconds seems a lifetime when watching live, but even when teams caterpillar bind it's usually always bang on the 5 seconds.

The main time wasting aspect of the game i'd like to see changed is the 30 seconds to be 'ready' to form a scrum from the time the ref makes the mark, amended and enforced to 30 seconds for the entire scrum to be bound in and the front rows in the crouch position. So much faffing about!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DingDong wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:22 pm what exactly is the result of a failure to "use it" in time? scrum or free kick?
The ball is unplayable at a ruck or tackle its a scrum to the side going forward.
The ball is unplayable at a maul it's a scrum to the side not in possession at the 'start' of the maul.

5 seconds seems a lifetime when watching live, but even when teams caterpillar bind it's usually always bang on the 5 seconds.

The main time wasting aspect of the game i'd like to see changed is the 30 seconds to be 'ready' to form a scrum from the time the ref makes the mark, amended and enforced to 30 seconds for the entire scrum to be bound in and the front rows in the crouch position. So much faffing about!!
Problem is you dropthat 30s time and see how many more breaks for injuries there are, though I suppose the clock would be stopped for that
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:36 am
DingDong wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am

Problem is you dropthat 30s time and see how many more breaks for injuries there are, though I suppose the clock would be stopped for that
The ball is not in play until the scrum is set so stop the clock until play can re-commence. Same for penalty kick and conversion set ups, the ball is technically in play I believe but not challenged, so stop the clock until the kicker moves. If players have to play an additional 15-20 minutes they may wish to think a bit more about the consequences when the energy is sapped from their legs etc?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Don't penalty kicks and conversions have a 1 minute time limit from when the ref blows for the penalty or try? I know that George has been known to use the full minute to wind down the clock near the end of a match, just not 100% certain when it starts.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

There is a point where stopping the clock for everything becomes a farce - a bit like American Football where a game of 60 minutes lasts half the day. Also sometimes those poor front rowers need to get their breath.

I do agree however that when the ref calls ‘use it’, it doesn’t mean the 9 has a further 5 seconds on top of what they already get - which is what happens more often than not.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just seen the game stats on the Channel 5 highlights show and not sure I believe them. Did we really miss 33 tackles?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 pm Just seen the game stats on the Channel 5 highlights show and not sure I believe them. Did we really miss 33 tackles?
on RL on their post match pod I'm sure they said we made nearly 100 more tackles then Wasps?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

loretta wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:57 pmFree kick
......... So is a scrum not an option at the mark?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
bendy

Post by bendy »

RichieB wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:52 pm

I do agree however that when the ref calls ‘use it’, it doesn’t mean the 9 has a further 5 seconds on top of what they already get - which is what happens more often than not.
This is exactly what it means isn't it? One the ref calls "use it" you've got 5 seconds to pass the ball, no?

I think the laws are slightly ambiguous on this ("reasonable time") but 5 seconds is the general RFU guidance, certainly at age grade rugby.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Matt Scott wins try of the week for his effort vs Wasps ...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/to ... 021-winner
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:36 pm Don't penalty kicks and conversions have a 1 minute time limit from when the ref blows for the penalty or try? I know that George has been known to use the full minute to wind down the clock near the end of a match, just not 100% certain when it starts.
60 seconds playing time for a penalty.
90 seconds playing time for a conversion.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I forgot to mention this on the day, but I thought we did a good job of nullifying Tom Willis.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni