THE BIG ONE - Wasps (A) - 12th June 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: THE BIG ONE - Wasps (A) - 12th June 2021

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:54 pm Haven't seen them in training as SB has so this could be a very shrewd move. Freddy S on the wing broadens his skill set and experience, Henry can play full back - we've seen it. High balls no problem for such a back three. We get in th ered zone more than anybody. Now is the time to turn that into points.
Any decent full back can play right wing. Back in the day Murphy and Stimpson would often rotate between the 14 and 15 shirts.

Freddie made his first start for the club on the right wing in Italy, IIRC.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:52 pm Freddie made his first start for the club on the right wing in Italy, IIRC.
Indeed he did, and scored a try right in front of me :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:34 pm I could see Reffell having a knock it's the nature of how he plays.
But if Moroni and Murimurivalu are fit enough to be on the bench surely they or one could start?
Could it be our tactics are to hold the opposition for 60 mins, then bring on the finishers, we need a strong bench for those tactics. Just hope we don't find ourselves well down by the time we bring them on. Very strange. :smt017
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

LE18 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:07 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:34 pm I could see Reffell having a knock it's the nature of how he plays.
But if Moroni and Murimurivalu are fit enough to be on the bench surely they or one could start?
Could it be our tactics are to hold the opposition for 60 mins, then bring on the finishers, we need a strong bench for those tactics. Just hope we don't find ourselves well down by the time we bring them on. Very strange. :smt017
No obvious weakness in the starting pack so I expect a decent start to the game with a dominant set piece. We'll see :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It seems that LI may have a covid problem (2# positive LF tests). If the check tests confirm then we can't finish outside the top 8.

That said, we still need to win tomorrow for lots of other reasons.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm It seems that LI may have a covid problem (2# positive LF tests). If the check tests confirm then we can't finish outside the top 8.

Would certainly take the pressure off
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Noggs wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm It seems that LI may have a covid problem (2# positive LF tests). If the check tests confirm then we can't finish outside the top 8.

Maybe SB knew this before picking that team haha
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Maybe SB knew this before picking that team haha
Crossed my mind.... :smt017
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Freddie Steward is no stranger to the wing position having played there in age group rugby, he is quicker than some people think with his long stride once he gets going, not so good over the first few metres. Pack looks ok, obviously most people would have liked Ford at 10 but he is not available, McPhillips played well at 10 last week and I am sure he knew then that he was leaving so no problem there. Usually a close game against Wasps often with ref involvement being a decisive factor. As usual I am looking forward to a win.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RichieB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:20 pm Well far be it for me to question the Head Coach’s selection, but a lot of this makes no sense. As others said, why Steward on wing, why Moroni and Muri on the bench, why release 2 players (McP and Henry) and then have them starting for such an important match? Clearly Ford isn’t available, in which case why announce McP release now and not keep him on for another year?

I’m identifying weaknesses in this team if I’m Wasps, certainly at fullback so there is a target. No scary pace on the wings, Freddie is OK but no express pace, Nadolo is a hugely strong carrier but not got pace either.

Oh well, there are people far cleverer than me who can say what is right.
To be fair to Tigers, they probably wouldn’t have announced anything but had to because US Carcassonne went ahead with their own announcement about McPhilips on social media.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 pm Freddie Steward is no stranger to the wing position having played there in age group rugby, he is quicker than some people think with his long stride once he gets going, not so good over the first few metres. Pack looks ok, obviously most people would have liked Ford at 10 but he is not available, McPhillips played well at 10 last week and I am sure he knew then that he was leaving so no problem there. Usually a close game against Wasps often with ref involvement being a decisive factor. As usual I am looking forward to a win.
[Shudders] the 2017 semifinal…
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Sorry but after last weekends game and several others this season I wonder if Luke Pearce and Tom Foley will decide on the result with cards, language, off sides, flat passes and our overpowering scrum? :smt002
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

wormus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm Sorry but after last weekends game and several others this season I wonder if Luke Pearce and Tom Foley will decide on the result with cards, language, off sides, flat passes and our overpowering scrum? :smt002
If it is to our favour, that would be some kind of justice!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Without knowing for certain who is unavailable its difficult to criticise fully the selection, but it is another really odd backline, one paced at best, the forwards is what it is, I really don't like us playing without a genuine 7, if the game becomes a little loose we could be in trouble.

Presume we will get to see Genge take Brookes apart again whilst laughing at him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

We have to accept that’s the best side we can put out so let’s hope our discipline is excellent.
Pressure again is on Wasps as a few months ago they looked like they could push for top 4!
Both teams have great players missing but again, George Ford up is a huge loss but he’s hardly played this season so nothing new there.
Come on Tigers: one last massive effort.