BRISTOL (H) - 5th June 2021 (NO CITINGS)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL (H) - 5th June 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe that the officials did nit cover themselves in glory.
Leicester collected something from the game but could and perhaps should have got more.Great effort and determination from Tigers.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The noise generated by 6,000 fans was quite awe inspiring ....
A full and vibrant Welford Road will be (hopefully) something to savor come next season.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:11 am
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm Nope .... ball was out .... came out down the 7 channel.

You only get a penalty try from a scrum if you are 1-2 metres out and they infringe - Bristol were
wise to that...:::. But Tempest should have given a yellow card at the 1st scrum and we would have had 2-3 minutes against 14 men. Weak reffing turned it into a one play game which as a defending team is what you want to do ..... manage the jeopardy...... and Tempest let them do it
Really?
5m scrums are just that!
Sides always bring them down or stand up rather than accept being pushed back when the scrum is on the 5m line.
Many/most refs would have gone under the posts.

Rolling mauls pulled down at 5m may be harder to penalise with a penalty try but not tries.
I agree with Mol2, Bristol infringed to prevent Leicester from getting the shove on to set up Wiese for a try. It’s my firm belief that if we had a French ref he/she would have been under the sticks for a penalty try at least 2/3 scrums earlier.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:37 am
mol2 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:11 am
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm Nope .... ball was out .... came out down the 7 channel.

You only get a penalty try from a scrum if you are 1-2 metres out and they infringe - Bristol were
wise to that...:::. But Tempest should have given a yellow card at the 1st scrum and we would have had 2-3 minutes against 14 men. Weak reffing turned it into a one play game which as a defending team is what you want to do ..... manage the jeopardy...... and Tempest let them do it
Really?
5m scrums are just that!
Sides always bring them down or stand up rather than accept being pushed back when the scrum is on the 5m line.
Many/most refs would have gone under the posts.

Rolling mauls pulled down at 5m may be harder to penalise with a penalty try but not tries.
I agree with Mol2, Bristol infringed to prevent Leicester from getting the shove on to set up Wiese for a try. It’s my firm belief that if we had a French ref he/she would have been under the sticks for a penalty try at least 2/3 scrums earlier.
I thought the ref did what I have seen happen many times before.
Sir rightly got his yellow card out at the first real opportunity in my opinion as props on both sides were going up and down and coming through not straight on previous scrums.
A try scoring opportunity has got to clearly be prevented to get a penalty try.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crazy that you’ve got a supposed few “fans” going against their own team and sticking up for Bristol who were completely in the wrong!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

My understanding is penalty tries should be awarded if an act of foul play stops a very probable try from being scored.

You could argue (and in my view) that if Bristol haven’t had collapsed those scrums Tigers would have clearly marched them over the try line. Understand that would take a ref with some bottle and easy way out is to just to award another pen.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm not sure S B's intervention helped Tempest's mood or attitude towards us
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am I'm not sure S B's intervention helped Tempest's mood or attitude towards us
IMO Steve Borthwick should not have got involved and left the officials to deal with it…..it only provoked the situation. Bristol were either going to be playing with 14 men or uncontested scrums with 13 players when the game resumed. The Team Manager is the person that needed to confirm the status of Afoa and is the mouthpiece of the Coaching Team.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Reading through this again.

Last scrum, early push Bristol. Free kick at least. Should never have got to the "in or out" debate.

Yellow card needed after the first warning.

On the Afoa affair.... Leave him there, let the powers that be impose sanctions. Go to uncontested scrums with Bristol 2 down. I believe a big carrier would have walked over Sheedy.

We were too "Tigers" thinking pushing them over was the only way. Alternatively kick the three..... But it would have been an awkward angle....

All in all the ref was not strong or quick witted enough. Simple as that. Make the call and hurry the game along.

On booing the ref, I'm grinning a bit inside. We pride ourselves on respecting "sir", but there's a bit inside me that says tbat respect has to be earned. It's different when the Chemistry teacher is managing teenage testosterone, perhaps badly, and we're in an amateur set up...... These guys are professionals, ruling over the carreers of professionals and the potential rise or fall of businesses. (Pukes in bucket!).... Make a bolognaise of it and you get what you deserve.

I was doing far worse than booing Mr Tempest from my armchair yesterday. Had I had been at the ground I'm sure i would have been ejected!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:04 am
Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am I'm not sure S B's intervention helped Tempest's mood or attitude towards us
IMO Steve Borthwick should not have got involved and left the officials to deal with it…..it only provoked the situation. Bristol were either going to be playing with 14 men or uncontested scrums with 13 players when the game resumed. The Team Manager is the person that needed to confirm the status of Afoa and is the mouthpiece of the Coaching Team.
So are you going to tell him. Is he not allowed to ask the question as a Captain would on the field of play?
The officials didn't deal with it. By the letter Injured means injured - Tactical means Tactical. So do the reports lie?
Therefore uncontested scrum - down to 13 - No a wishy washy do what you like ........
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Would they have gone to 13 men.
If a front row leaves the field injured and no fit front row is on the bench then a replacement cannot come on.

Would a further player have been required to leave the field in the case of a yellow?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Good job it wasn’t the semi-final or final!
Tempest was poor for both side starting with the first penalty line out we had 5 metres out: Bristol stood across our players: nothing done then obvious knock ons missed!
The last 5 minutes Bristol knew they were in serious trouble so pulled the scrum/ maul down: then Tempest should have stopped the clock as Barnes and Christophe do.
Just hope we play well enough to be more than 7 up at Wasps with the clock in red.
Hope I’m not the only Tiger fan there!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:14 am

We were too "Tigers" thinking pushing them over was the only way. Alternatively kick the three..... But it would have been an awkward angle....

All in all the ref was not ..... quick witted enough. Simple as that. Make the call and hurry the game along.

Add to that WE were not quick witted enough
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:22 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:14 am

All in all the ref was not ..... quick witted enough. Simple as that. Make the call and hurry the game along.

Add to that WE were not quick witted enough
Yup...... That's what I meant with "too Tigers thinking"
........ Just keep pushing and we'll be fine. It was a bit "Neanderthal".
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that when advantage was played from the scrum penalty prior to the yellow card for their prop, Murimurivalu was on the wing unopposed and when the ball went along the back line it went to Freddie Steward and he chose to cut back infield rather than pass to Murimurivalu and 5 points. Close games hinge on big moments and for me that was one of them.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity