Ricoh No More

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunks43

Ricoh No More

Post by dunks43 »

Speaking to a mate who's a wasps fan and apparantly the ricoh will become the Coventry Building Society Arena from next season
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Ricoh No More

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

dunks43 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:16 pm Speaking to a mate who's a wasps fan and apparantly the ricoh will become the Coventry Building Society Arena from next season
I'll be calling it the "Seabass" then... (CBSA close enough to CBAS for a dyslexic guy like me)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

dunks43 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:16 pm Speaking to a mate who's a wasps fan and apparantly the ricoh will become the Coventry Building Society Arena from next season
Yep, I've got some accounts with them and it's all over their website.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The name hardly rolls off the tongue ...but he who pays the piper calls the tune ....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Whatever it's called doesn't hide the fact it is soulless.

Can't wait for Welford Rd in September with hopefully near capacity crowds!
Soggypitch
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

A Lady Godiva could warm the place up.............Give it some character Good old wife of Leofric
Bets on it will be called Coventry Arena ?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

wellstiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:10 pm A Lady Godiva could warm the place up.............Give it some character Good old wife of Leofric
Only in the same way that some people still refer to Welford Road, not Mattioli Woods Welford Road. Officially it will be the Coventry Building Society Arena
https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co. ... rship.html
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:25 pm
wellstiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:10 pm A Lady Godiva could warm the place up.............Give it some character Good old wife of Leofric
Only in the same way that some people still refer to Welford Road, not Mattioli Woods Welford Road. Officially it will be the Coventry Building Society Arena
https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co. ... rship.html
Yes but the "ricoh" doesn't have the same history in the name that Welford Road does, plus Welford Road is still part of our grounds name so calling it Welford Road is a shortening of its full name.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I hate these names based on sponsorship. It will always be Welford Road to supporters.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:40 pm I hate these names based on sponsorship. It will always be Welford Road to supporters.
+1.....Welford Road it will forever be..... Plus dad always refers to the King Power as "The Power Station."........ His former place of employment.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
bendy

Post by bendy »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:40 pm I hate these names based on sponsorship. It will always be Welford Road to supporters.
Yeah, but you're talking about a ground with some actual history there.

The Ricoh.... not so much. May as well call it the Franchise Superdome and have done with it.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Messing around and changing official stadium names is a small price to pay for the revenue it brings. What the fans use as names is a different matter. To me we still have a Crumbie Stand and Terrace but hey....
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Noggs wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:31 pm Messing around and changing official stadium names is a small price to pay for the revenue it brings. What the fans use as names is a different matter. To me we still have a Crumbie Stand and Terrace but hey....
Agreed I am very grateful for the money invested by Mattioli Woods at a very difficult time for the club, the fact Welford Road stayed as part of the name suggests to me we got the "right sort" of investment in the ground naming not just the highest value.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Including WR in the name keeps most of the fans on board with the change and MW gets good national exposure every time a game is broadcast. A win/win in my eyes.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Noggs wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:43 pm Including WR in the name keeps most of the fans on board with the change and MW gets good national exposure every time a game is broadcast. A win/win in my eyes.
Agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni