BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO vs. Quins

Post by BFG »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:42 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:08 pm
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Beyond the occasions that you mention what else did the TMO intervene for?
I thought he intervened for the Porter offside from the kick out of our 22, but it may have been an Assistant Ref.

I thought he intervened for the forward pass from wigglesworth to Scott as well. Thought that one was particularly harsh given how lax refs are generally with forward passes these days.

There was the time that was repeatedly calling for Reffell being offside from a kick even though Pearce had shouted “touched”.

Again not sure was TMO.

All the chatter may be partly to do with having a team of experienced refs who are used to being No1.
You could be right.
I assume this team of officials were joined up to prep for the final.
Perhaps we Leicester fans are not so used to a team of officials so focused on picking everything up.
When I think about recent finals then a lot does get looked at.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 pm
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:33 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:08 pm

I thought he intervened for the Porter offside from the kick out of our 22, but it may have been an Assistant Ref.
I would assume an official saw potential foul play but to be honest I was too interested in watching the two teams to notice the officials.
I found Flannery's view on the ruck battle far more interesting than anything that the officials had to say and found watching the tactical approaches of the two teams unfold far more interesting than anything the officials had to do.
So you’re not bothered about wrong calls from officials then that cost points and sinbins? They are not “interesting”? Hahahaha why not have them then? Might as well do away with them altogether if that’s the case 😂
Be good enough to explain the wrong calls from yesterday’s game that cost us points and sin bins.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 pm
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:33 pm

I would assume an official saw potential foul play but to be honest I was too interested in watching the two teams to notice the officials.
I found Flannery's view on the ruck battle far more interesting than anything that the officials had to say and found watching the tactical approaches of the two teams unfold far more interesting than anything the officials had to do.
So you’re not bothered about wrong calls from officials then that cost points and sinbins? They are not “interesting”? Hahahaha why not have them then? Might as well do away with them altogether if that’s the case 😂
Be good enough to explain the wrong calls from yesterday’s game that cost us points and sin bins.
As in game points,2 forward passes missed and an offside by Dombrandt=10 points (Smith missed both kicks iirc) Genge was a TMO begged yellow so that’s the sin bin. Not very hard at all really Dokie 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:04 pm For reference Dokie
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/17
I can comment better on the Quins tries after I’ve watched the highlights tomorrow but I don’t remember any issues when watching it live.
If you can’t accept Ellis’ was a card, there’s no hope for you.
But then again, I understand you not having an appreciation of anything that went on, as you saw so little of the game in between your 150 posts.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:15 pm
I can comment better on the Quins tries after I’ve watched the highlights tomorrow but I don’t remember any issues when watching it live.
But then again, I understand you not having an appreciation of anything that went on, as you saw so little of the game in between your 150 posts.
Has there been contact with head? Yes
Is there any foul play? No. Play on. In black and white so there you go.
It’s called multi tasking,in rugby union you will notice there’s a lot of breaks in play. 👍
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:25 pm
It’s called multi tasking,in rugby union you will notice there’s a lot of breaks in play. 👍
Not as many as to allow you to post like you do. You clearly don’t watch games or understand rugby. Hence, you post skcollob.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 pm
Not as many as to allow you to post like you do. You clearly don’t watch games or understand rugby. Hence, you post skcollob.
I watch plenty of games and more often than not get the calls right. Funny how others have said there were 2 forward passes/offfloads and Dombrandt was offside. Even World Rugby agrees with me that Genge wasn’t a yellow ,that was even before I saw that link today. So I must be doing something right,glad you had the time to read the 150 posts too. Keep up the good work 👍
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If you give on the basis that Ridley was TMO for a worse Ref not sure how you judge the interventions...I didn't watch much of Bath/Sale but having seen Dickson miss the most blatant drop of a ball before awarding a try the TMO must think "on my own here", not got round to watching our game as otherwise engaged over the weekend.

The whole TMO issue needs revisiting, its getting out of hand, but still better than VAR in the Wendyball, wouldn't be surprised if some of the constant chirping was Carley, he really finds a reason to blow the whistle when in the middle.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I’m not sure much is being achieved here apart from some cheap shots.. we are all in this together. Personally I thought the first try seemed ok but their last try was a definite forward pass on the right wing. Ellis.. I’ve seen them given as red, yellow and not even picked up.. ultimately.. yes it’s frustrating but it’s every single game so we just need to try and play to a level where these decisions aren’t the deciding factor.. like yesterday.. all officials are human and make mistakes but we need to focus on the positives, a huge 5 point morale boosting win and not the objective views of us fans about individual performances.. yes it’s annoying, no they didn’t or won’t get everything correct but that’s just how it goes.. You win some you lose some.. we get a few go our way every so often too.. just enjoy the win lads :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 pm If you give on the basis that Ridley was TMO for a worse Ref not sure how you judge the interventions...I didn't watch much of Bath/Sale but having seen Dickson miss the most blatant drop of a ball before awarding a try the TMO must think "on my own here", not got round to watching our game as otherwise engaged over the weekend.

The whole TMO issue needs revisiting, its getting out of hand, but still better than VAR in the Wendyball, wouldn't be surprised if some of the constant chirping was Carley, he really finds a reason to blow the whistle when in the middle.
The Sale Bath game was pretty much the blind leading the blind to be honest.. I’m trying not to have a swing at the officials but as it wasn’t a Tigers game I feel it’s not quite as bad passing judgement
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun May 16, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:52 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 pm If you give on the basis that Ridley was TMO for a worse Ref not sure how you judge the interventions...I didn't watch much of Bath/Sale but having seen Dickson miss the most blatant drop of a ball before awarding a try the TMO must think "on my own here", not got round to watching our game as otherwise engaged over the weekend.

The Sale Bath game was pretty much the blind leading the blind to be honest.. I’m trying not to have a swing at the officials but as it wasn’t a Tigers game I feel it’s not quite as bad
All jokes aside and it was a laugh out loud game,at this level of elite sport it’s an absolute joke and an embarrassment. I’d like to know about the auditing in officiating. How does it work? How often? Do refs have to do write ups every game like in football? Are the big decisions checked over? Are there punishments for refs where they could be stood down or demoted to the Championship for X amount of games? If I made mistakes of this magnitude in my job I would get sacked,probably because people would lose their lives so poor comparison,but you get my drift.
I can accept 50/50 going the wrong way,odd things being missed but some of the decisions are actually laughable they are that bad. And it seems to be getting worse!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I thought it was the same as Ludlum the other week Vs us. The player is always trying to make a perfectly legal tackle/clear out and connection with the head is purely accidental then it should just be play on. Genge is clear shoulder on shoulder and the wrapping arm clipping the head with no force. He can't go any lower, very disappointing to see that given a yellow card it's not what the law interpretation push is there to stop.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

You can try and make the case for Genge all day and night but he made contact with the head. Not intentional or foul play, but....yes....he still made contact with the head, so yellow. What’s he supposed to do ?, someone asked me - not clear out, he came from a long way back. Don’t bother going in there. The sooner we accept it’s a yellow or red card offence the better, including the players. What is bizarre is the moaning on here and we won !!! Now that’s bizarre.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The repeated insistence that Genge had made contact to the head (during a legitimate clear out) when the ref, on seeing the same video angles, had stated that he did not consider it to have been head contact (the ref felt it to have been little more than brushing past his ear at most) until the ref backed down and carded Genge.

Likewise the offside for being ahead of the kicker in the run up to one of their tries: "Nothing clear and obvious" when the lateral stripes across the pitch left little doubt their player was ahead of the kicker by a yard or so.
Perhaps for decisions like this there could be a virtual line to take interpretation out of it? The line is then drawn parallel to the kicker - any part of the chaser in front at the moment of the kick and there is no debate as to whether it is obvious.

Ultimately the ref should be the arbiter, the TMO should find the angles within the footage or draw the ref's attention to foul play or minor issues that might affect the legitimacy of a try, but should not try and persuade the ref one way or the other unless the ref actually asks for an opinion, likewise if discussing with the touch judge. Saying once "Have you seen this angle" is fine but to keep asking the ref repeatedly to do so, until he is persuaded to share your opinion, is wrong. It undermines the ref when the role of the other officials is to support the ref.

Make it much softer than that and we will have players being cleared out of rucks moving their head to make deliberate contact just to obtain a penalty or card. The Quins player did not in any way suggest that head contact had been made I would add.