TMO vs. Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO vs. Quins

Post by Tiglon »

I think the problem with the officiating dynamic in the Quins game was the presence of Barnes as Assistant Ref, who also played a part in convincing Pearce to change his mind. Luke Pearce is a top ref, but Barnes is probably the most highly regarded ref in the world and, when he's telling you what to do, you are probably going to listen.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:57 pm The Genge yellow should never have been yellow. The quins player was already off his feet laying on top of the ruck and had his hands on the ground before Genge arrived so was commiting an offence that should have been a penalty to tigers.
You hit the nail on the head in my opinion.
The problems around head contact at the ruck are often caused by players stealing or sealing not being in control (head below hips) of their own body weight.
It is not the fault of the officials, they just have to clean the mess up as best they can.
It's defensive coaching tactics versus the demands for running rugby.
The powers never truly addressed the impact of rugby league style defensive tactics on union in particular attacking players at the legal ruck height needing to load up numbers at the ruck to prevent a successful counter ruck, only to then be outnumbered by a defence that has chosen not to compete at the ruck at all.
Then there is the rush and offside to further compound the difficulty for attacking teams.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think that Wayne Barnes is the referees coach and that may have been an element in advising Pearce of the Law? If the coach (who most regard as best in world) gets it wrong then who can know each and every rule to the "n"th degree something must be wrong with the laws? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Brian Campsall is one of the assessors who feeds back to referees....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hilarious that people are still arguing the law when I’ve posted a link that comprehensively tells you that it wasn’t a yellow! Are people just doing it to wind me up,or maybe they can’t read,I’m not sure!
Was there head contact? Yes
Was there foul play involved? There wasn’t and Pearce initially said there wasn’t. Play on.
Would people like to me post the link again?!
Here it is again just in case!
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/17
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:44 pm Brian Campsall is one of the assessors who feeds back to referees....
& that about sums it up...

My view of the game was the officials didn't have a great one as a team, most of the constant chirping in the first half was Carley, an official who looks for a reason to blow his whistle.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

It's good that the AR's constantly 'chirp', they are a team and need to communicate info that may assist the ref it what he has missed. The issue is the lack of credibility in many of their chirps, and also the lack of vision in others! They are full-time professional referees assisting another full-time referee and in that game you'd think otherwise.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

DingDong wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 am It's good that the AR's constantly 'chirp', they are a team and need to communicate info that may assist the ref it what he has missed. The issue is the lack of credibility in many of their chirps, and also the lack of vision in others! They are full-time professional referees assisting another full-time referee and in that game you'd think otherwise.
Agree entirely about the 'credibility in many of their chirps and also the lack of vision in others'.

I once had the privilege of spending time on a RN destroyer off Plymouth as it went through what was known as a Tuesday War in the company of a FOST team (the equivalent of OFSTED for schools). I thought I'd see fighter planes attacking ships etc. Instead it was just about processing information. Information to the captain about incoming threats (180 miles away) from one side of the room, him synthesising the information at the speed of light and responding.

The lead FOST inspector talked about the need for clear, concise, precise, disciplined communications. Every second counted in terms of accuracy of response. They went through a huge amount of training to be able to do that under pressure. It doesn't just happen.

What you have with the current set up, a lot of the time is lots of people chatting with each other and having opinions.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

DingDong wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 am It's good that the AR's constantly 'chirp', they are a team and need to communicate info that may assist the ref it what he has missed. The issue is the lack of credibility in many of their chirps, and also the lack of vision in others! They are full-time professional referees assisting another full-time referee and in that game you'd think otherwise.
Not all the Referees are full time and many of them have other jobs such as school teachers and some work for the forces. Funding in the RFU is limited and refs have been paid on a match by match basis but fitness and health is mointorred and performances are constantly reviewed.
www.matthampson.co.uk
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Is there a mechanism to appeal a yellow card?
Otherwise it stays on Genge's record and could affect the length of any ban later on.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:42 am
Not all the Referees are full time and many of them have other jobs such as school teachers and some work for the forces. Funding in the RFU is limited and refs have been paid on a match by match basis but fitness and health is mointorred and performances are constantly reviewed.
The refs we are debating on this thread are full time professionals.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BengalTiger wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am Is there a mechanism to appeal a yellow card?
Otherwise it stays on Genge's record and could affect the length of any ban later on.
Great question!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 pm Hilarious that people are still arguing the law when I’ve posted a link that comprehensively tells you that it wasn’t a yellow! Are people just doing it to wind me up,or maybe they can’t read,I’m not sure!
Was there head contact? Yes
Was there foul play involved? There wasn’t and Pearce initially said there wasn’t. Play on.
Would people like to me post the link again?!
Here it is again just in case!
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/17
For once I have to agree with you. It was agreed that the clear out was legal and the guidance clearly state that in such cases of head contact you should play on (a rugby incident). Pearce originally called it correctly and should have stuck to his guns. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BengalTiger wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am Is there a mechanism to appeal a yellow card?
I think when you have accumulated enough yellows to warrant a ban you have a citing hearing same as if you get a red. You are therefore entitled to appeal any of the yellow cards you have had?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:10 pm
I think when you have accumulated enough yellows to warrant a ban you have a citing hearing same as if you get a red. You are therefore entitled to appeal any of the yellow cards you have had?
Yellows for foul play are accumulated and lead to a one match ban - it used to be. For Technical yellow cards, deliberate knock ons, collapsing a maul etc are not accumalative and do not amount to any bans.
www.matthampson.co.uk