TMO vs. Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

TMO vs. Quins

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It felt like the TMO was intervening in lots of decisions yesterday. It's difficult to know whether it's the TMO or a touch judge you're hearing in the audio, but I'm familiar enough with Wayne Barnes' voice to know it wasn't him I was hearing repeatedly.

Did anyone else notice that?

The laws of the game are that the TMO should only intervene if it's a try-scoring moment, kicks at goal or foul play.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO vs. Quins

Post by Scott1 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:29 pm It felt like the TMO was intervening in lots of decisions yesterday. It's difficult to know whether it's the TMO or a touch judge you're hearing in the audio, but I'm familiar enough with Wayne Barnes' voice to know it wasn't him I was hearing repeatedly.

The laws of the game are that the TMO should only intervene if it's a try-scoring moment, kicks at goal or foul play.
“Did anyone else notice that”? Hahaha having a wind up surely? But if you are on the level then YES ,a huge YES. Same on Friday night in the Sale v Bath game too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Yes, we noticed and we were all told off for noticing when we should have been lambasting some of the players*, apparently...

*Names withheld for obvious and absolutely not suspicious reasons.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:29 pm It felt like the TMO was intervening in lots of decisions yesterday. It's difficult to know whether it's the TMO or a touch judge you're hearing in the audio, but I'm familiar enough with Wayne Barnes' voice to know it wasn't him I was hearing repeatedly.

Beyond the occasions that you mention what else did the TMO intervene for?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

What I found annoying was that the TMO intervened incorrectly for the taking the man out in the air, somehow missing the blatant block on I think Porter that sent him into the jumping player. The TMO also jumped in on a couple of things that weren't foul play and ordinarily you don't see them get involved in. They did so inconsistently as well which annoys me about those things.

The insistence on a card for Genge was very frustrating as well.

Hopefully we don't get him on TMO duty again soon and he's reminded that he's there to assist the ref and not try to ref the game himself.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Strange we didn’t hear any “check check check” with Quins forward passes,forward offloads and Dombrandts offside or when Marler went in front of the line out receiver in their maul before he landed blocking our first man in. Blatantly illegal but got away with it resulting in a yellow card and penalty try 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Watched it again a few times and paused the picture.It’s borderline that Marler one so maybe I’m wrong but very clever and intended.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:05 pm

I thought he intervened for the Porter offside from the kick out of our 22, but it may have been an Assistant Ref.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:08 pm

I thought he intervened for the Porter offside from the kick out of our 22, but it may have been an Assistant Ref.
When it’s a female TMO it’s easier to differentiate but I couldn’t tell much of the time whether it was Carley chipping in or Foley. Barnes seemed to stay pretty quiet and just let Pearce get on with things. The fact that the TMO is chipping in more and more I doubt is coincidence.. there has clearly been a change in direction and perhaps they have been asked to be more vocal.. maybe not. All I ask for is parity and consistency, nothing more.. just a level playing field for both teams
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who was worse?
Ridley Sale v Bath
Foley Leicester v Quins
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:34 pm Who was worse?
Ridley Sale v Bath
Foley Leicester v Quins
Ridley imho
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:38 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:34 pm Who was worse?
Ridley Sale v Bath
Foley Leicester v Quins
Ridley imho
Yes,especially with the maul penalty and the scrum reset call 😂
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I would assume an official saw potential foul play but to be honest I was too interested in watching the two teams to notice the officials.
I found Flannery's view on the ruck battle far more interesting than anything that the officials had to say and found watching the tactical approaches of the two teams unfold far more interesting than anything the officials had to do.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:33 pm

I would assume an official saw potential foul play but to be honest I was too interested in watching the two teams to notice the officials.
I found Flannery's view on the ruck battle far more interesting than anything that the officials had to say and found watching the tactical approaches of the two teams unfold far more interesting than anything the officials had to do.
So you’re not bothered about wrong calls from officials then that cost points and sinbins? They are not “interesting”? Hahahaha why not have them then? Might as well do away with them altogether if that’s the case 😂
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

I thought he intervened for the forward pass from wigglesworth to Scott as well. Thought that one was particularly harsh given how lax refs are generally with forward passes these days.

There was the time that was repeatedly calling for Reffell being offside from a kick even though Pearce had shouted “touched”.

Again not sure was TMO.

All the chatter may be partly to do with having a team of experienced refs who are used to being No1.