Football pundits v rugby pundits

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Football pundits v rugby pundits

Post by CrumblingTerrace » Mon May 17, 2021 10:26 am

I'm a fan of both sports. What I love about rugby commentary and punditry is that they don't take things too seriously. There are plenty of occasions where they make light of what's happening on the pitch or poke fun at one another (I'm looking at you, Ben and Austin).

Football, in contrast, is so serious. They have to build up the drama, the magnitude, the stakes of every match and every moment. That's the product Sky sell.

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3578
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Football pundits v rugby pundits

Post by ourla » Mon May 17, 2021 10:31 am

CrumblingTerrace wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:26 am
I'm a fan of both sports. What I love about rugby commentary and punditry is that they don't take things too seriously. There are plenty of occasions where they make light of what's happening on the pitch or poke fun at one another (I'm looking at you, Ben and Austin).

Football, in contrast, is so serious. They have to build up the drama, the magnitude, the stakes of every match and every moment. That's the product Sky sell.
It's weird but football commentary on the radio is much more jocular - like you say on TV it's less say.

That said a lot of people seem to not like Austin.
You're either in or you're out

Noggs
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2038
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Football pundits v rugby pundits

Post by Noggs » Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm

The ref has a very difficult job in controlling what is a technically complex sport and hence is always right, even when he's wrong.

At local league level he often has to rely of coaches from both teams to run the line and hence has no help with decisions other than with respect to the ball going out of play and the conversion of a try, It is therefore important that he is given respect. There is a formal system for coaches to comment on performance if they wish but most refs are happy to discuss any 'incidents' over a pint in the bar after the game.

The professional game is clearly different in many respects but I like the way the pundits look at various decisions and often give their views without hammering the ref if he disagrees. As a supporter I often call what I see at the time only to find I was wrong when later reviewed. That's part of the pleasures in watching sport.

Debate on the forum about referring decisions is fine but at the end of the day it has no effect as the decisions have been made. We all have refs we like and don't like dependent on our views on how the have performed but I for one have respect to all of them. Without the officials we would have no sport to watch.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!

Dokie
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

Re: Football pundits v rugby pundits

Post by Dokie » Mon May 17, 2021 6:36 pm

Noggs wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm
The ref has a very difficult job in controlling what is a technically complex sport and hence is always right, even when he's wrong.

At local league level he often has to rely of coaches from both teams to run the line and hence has no help with decisions other than with respect to the ball going out of play and the conversion of a try, It is therefore important that he is given respect. There is a formal system for coaches to comment on performance if they wish but most refs are happy to discuss any 'incidents' over a pint in the bar after the game.

The professional game is clearly different in many respects but I like the way the pundits look at various decisions and often give their views without hammering the ref if he disagrees. As a supporter I often call what I see at the time only to find I was wrong when later reviewed. That's part of the pleasures in watching sport.

Debate on the forum about referring decisions is fine but at the end of the day it has no effect as the decisions have been made. We all have refs we like and don't like dependent on our views on how the have performed but I for one have respect to all of them. Without the officials we would have no sport to watch.
Great post.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2650
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Football pundits v rugby pundits

Post by Tiglon » Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Dokie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:36 pm
Noggs wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm
The ref has a very difficult job in controlling what is a technically complex sport and hence is always right, even when he's wrong.

At local league level he often has to rely of coaches from both teams to run the line and hence has no help with decisions other than with respect to the ball going out of play and the conversion of a try, It is therefore important that he is given respect. There is a formal system for coaches to comment on performance if they wish but most refs are happy to discuss any 'incidents' over a pint in the bar after the game.

The professional game is clearly different in many respects but I like the way the pundits look at various decisions and often give their views without hammering the ref if he disagrees. As a supporter I often call what I see at the time only to find I was wrong when later reviewed. That's part of the pleasures in watching sport.

Debate on the forum about referring decisions is fine but at the end of the day it has no effect as the decisions have been made. We all have refs we like and don't like dependent on our views on how the have performed but I for one have respect to all of them. Without the officials we would have no sport to watch.
Great post.
Seconded!

I disagree with many decisions, but I always respect the referees for the job they do. More often than not it's the complex nature of the laws rather than the referee himself that leads to problems - no individual law is particularly complicated, but they all affect each other and when trying to apply numerous laws to any given situation there is always room for different interpretations.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Farmboy, hugh.st, kpj tiger, LE18, RagingBull, TigerCam and 2 guests